closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex 32** movement issues?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I wouldn't worry too hard Tom.
    I believe that the issue with the 32's is a lubrication and coating issue that can be sorted at service and not a more significant flaw of design/build.
    Lubrication is the official line and it's an issue that's also been mentioned by people who've worked on them, but the main issue seems to stem from the longer power reserve which they've achieved by fitting a longer mainspring and which causes amplitude to drop off significantly when not fully wound. To combat that they've used a pallet fork with smaller jewels and an escape wheel with smaller teeth to reduce friction, which I think could be the lubrication issue as the smaller surface area retains less oil and would suggest shorter service intervals.

It's a long time since I read the thread on TRF so I may not be 100% accurate about the above, but the consensus from the Rolex watchmakers was that it's a fundamentally flawed design and much less robust than the 31xx.

Master
    I wonder if the real numbers of problem watches are pretty low though and some folks have just been very unlucky. Would be interesting to see a bigger pool than the TRF thread to get a better sense of it. Like others have said, those experiencing the issues are more likely to raise it in forums.

Touch wood, so far I’ve had no issues with any 32xx.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    What RSC have been instructed to answer. Many keep going back after “ full service “ under warranty. Developing the same issue after few months. Happens more on watches worn every day.
    Full service in inverted commas. They like to call it that whilst just regulating the movement.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Lubrication is the official line and it's an issue that's also been mentioned by people who've worked on them, but the main issue seems to stem from the longer power reserve which they've achieved by fitting a longer mainspring and which causes amplitude to drop off significantly when not fully wound. To combat that they've used a pallet fork with smaller jewels and an escape wheel with smaller teeth to reduce friction, which I think could be the lubrication issue as the smaller surface area retains less oil and would suggest shorter service intervals.

It's a long time since I read the thread on TRF so I may not be 100% accurate about the above, but the consensus from the Rolex watchmakers was that it's a fundamentally flawed design and much less robust than the 31xx.
    It is my understanding that the positioning and application of epilame is responsible for issues as if it either dries out and flakes off or comes into contact with oil it will degrade and create a gunk that eventually fouls the movement. This is hearsay though and theres still no official answer but it's a theory that made sense when it was explained to me.

I'm not sure about the issue being linked to a longer mainspring, as they had already sized up the ms and barrel for the 4130 and that calibre is a tank.

I definitely think the 31 cals are more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    What RSC have been instructed to answer. Many keep going back after “ full service “ under warranty. Developing the same issue after few months. Happens more on watches worn every day.
    Blimey that´d be a colossal ball ache, 6K, 7K PLUS for a mass produced watch renowned for it´s tank like reliability- durability, potentially bigger problem when worn daily, sheesh...outside of here I´d guess most folks buy the 1 Rolex and expect to wear daily for the rest of their time.

Interesting thread.