closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: Leatherman Micra discontinued

PSA: Leatherman Micra discontinued

Know there’s a few multi tool fans on here, was looking to get a Micra for gift purposes, and noticed there wasn’t any stock in the usual independent outfits and Leatherman UK were charging £21 for shipping. Looks like they’re being discontinued and Leatherman are running down stock via shipping from US.

The only UK online stock I found were from Whitby & Co : https://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/ who have been their UK distributors for decades. Whitby sent out an email earlier this month saying Leatherman were moving UK distribution to Europe so their distributor ship and warranty support work was stopping this month. The only other stock I spotted online were Blacks and Millets who say they had stock but only sell in store for age verification purposes.

So if you fancy a Micra, get your order in with Whitby or keep an eye out next time you’re in a Blacks or Millets.

That is such a shame about Whitby no longer being the warranty providers and UK customers now having to deal with shipping to/from Europe.

Master
    Yet another up side of the event that shall be unnamed…

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That is such a shame about Whitby no longer being the warranty providers and UK customers now having to deal with shipping to/from Europe.
    100%. Have only had to use them a couple of times for warranty service on the old Style models (they were prone to issues with the screwdriver/file attachment) and they’ve been great, no quibble replacements provided very quickly.

I gave up on them when I cut my finger badly just putting my hand in my pocket - I used one as a key ring for a few years and my finger found it’s way between the 2 halves foraging for my keys in my pocket and the scissors inflicted a pretty serious cut. Been a victorinox alox mini champ fan ever since!

Never saw the reason to buy one of these. Never was in a situation where I wished I had one

Buying a set of tools and keeping them in your car is more useful and I'm sure most have tools at home if needed

DON

^ Yeah, but let's say you're a la Liam Neeson stranded in the (Alaskan) outback being chased by a pack of marauding wolves / lumberjacks / insert as appropriate? Without a portable all-purpose Micra, you'd be fckd - and makes for a much less exciting viewing experience.

P.S. Thanks to this thread, I'm now looking at an Alox. My house is full of TZ great ideas!

Craftsman
    I find my micra really useful. I will probably use it at least once a day for something....usually cutting a tag off something or removing a battery cover screw for one of the children's toys, etc.

Master
    £32 at Millets, thats not a bad price. Im sure I paid £25 about 15 years ago for my lad. Since then he has had two waves ans crunch.
    Why so many you ask? He’s a skipper and they often end up over the side in bad weather or de fouling propellors !

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Never saw the reason to buy one of these. Never was in a situation where I wished I had one

Buying a set of tools and keeping them in your car is more useful and I'm sure most have tools at home if needed

DON
    It's a pair of portable scissors. You never need scissors?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It's a pair of portable scissors. You never need scissors?
    Have a knife in the car. Also useful in case of being chased by a pack of marauding wolves / lumberjacks / insert as appropriate?

Have a knife in the car. Also useful in case of being chased by a pack of marauding wolves / lumberjacks / insert as appropriate?
    Irrelevant.
    You sound like you’re posting without knowing what that particular Leatherman is: The micra is a small folding pair of scissors, with a few tools added. Your knife will not replace it regardless how hard it tries (the reverse is also true) in most circumstances. Plus it’s in your car, which may be considerably further away than your pocket when the need arises.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Irrelevant.
    You sound like you’re posting without knowing what that particular Leatherman is: The micra is a small folding pair of scissors, with a few tools added. Your knife will not replace it regardless how hard it tries (the reverse is also true) in most circumstances. Plus it’s in your car, which may be considerably further away than your pocket when the need arises.
    I checked it out on Google and I also carry my Spyderco in my pocket

Your basis for buying seems to be the scissors. I'll grab a pair before leaving the house.

Have had a micra for years but never found it to hold a candle to the Vic Classic SD Alox…

Master
    I checked it out on Google and I also carry my Spyderco in my pocket

Your basis for buying seems to be the scissors. I'll grab a pair before leaving the house.
    You always carry a pair of scissors with you?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    You always carry a pair of scissors with you?
    Yes and I like to run with them :)

Fact is. Never had a need for a pair of scissors outside the house, a file to do my nails outside of the house. A Phillips or slot screw driver outside the house, a bottle opener or a drinkie pair of tweezers

If it works for you and others. Thats fine, but for me. I rather spend the money on the right tools for the job at hand

Had a Leatherman Micra (in my pocket) for 20+ years now. It is, without a doubt my most used "tool".

I use the nail file and scissors daily.
    I wear glasses, so the tiny screwdriver is perfect for tightening the little screws on those.
    I use the bottle opener at least once a week.
    I even use the built in ruler quite regularly.
    The remaining tools are less used, particularly the tweezers (maybe 5 times in 20+ years) but I have used the knife blade, philips screwdriver and flat head screwdriver on occasion.

Even now that I carry a Boker Tech Tool Carbon 4 I still slip the Micra in my pocket every day (nail file more than anything).

Cheers,

MarkC

Journeyman

Echo that on Whitby…

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    100%. Have only had to use them a couple of times for warranty service on the old Style models (they were prone to issues with the screwdriver/file attachment) and they’ve been great, no quibble replacements provided very quickly.
    Bought a “broken penknife” on eBay for £1. It was a Micra with a snapped blade. I sent it to Whitby with an offer to pay for repair, but it came back by return of post as good as new.

Immediately bought another at full price for my wife. Great little tool - it sits in my travel wash bag. Alox Farmer in my pocket.