closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bread baking

Blog Entries

Bread baking

Not a euphemism. So who bakes their own bread? I’ve just started as I am Coeliac so a strict gluten free diet and find the mixes rather good! I was wondering who else does their own baking. Very old school art form as it takes patience and time. But watching the yeast do its magic never fails to amaze me.

I now feel ready to add to the basic recipes after these attempts

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Yup we make 90+% of our own bread, all by hand. My gf makes sourdough, I make regular bread plus Chelsea buns and similar sweet treats. We also make a lot of flatbread if you consider that bread (no yeast).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Yup we make 90+% of our own bread, all by hand. My gf makes sourdough, I make regular bread plus Chelsea buns and similar sweet treats. We also make a lot of flatbread if you consider that bread (no yeast).
    Lovely! Care to share recipes?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats your best recipe for GF bread? My wife is gluten intolerant (not coeliac fortunately) and finds most of the supermaket stuff awful. Tesco/Sainsbury "Finest" the best of a bad bunch. Might give it a try if there's one worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Happy to, but none are gluten free so you’ll need to adapt them to a GF diet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Whats your best recipe for GF bread? My wife is gluten intolerant (not coeliac fortunately) and finds most of the supermaket stuff awful. Tesco/Sainsbury "Finest" the best of a bad bunch. Might give it a try if there's one worth doing.
    I found this is good. (Schar). Double rise and makes 2 loaves per 500g

https://www.hollandsupermarket.co.uk.../vegan/458002/

it sounds bad but home made potato bread is very good

i cant remember what recipe i followed but it may have been this one : https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potato_bread_39335

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    As warned not gluten free, but here you go ...

For regular bread I use this one, with two amendments: 1. use a mixture of about 1/3 wholemeal 2/3 stoneground white bread flour - all wholemeal is just too heavy; and 2. add in a second rise after shaping the loaf - first rise, in the bowl, second after shaping. About an hour each. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...our-easy-steps

For soft baps, Dan Lepard's recipe (this is a really weird recipe, but works brilliantly): https://patskitchenjournal.blogspot....an-lepard.html

For regular soft rolls, I use this one or very similar, I have a printout with proper measures (i.e. not cups): https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...-kitchn-187478

For Chelsea buns, this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chelsea-buns

Cinammon twists: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cinnamon-twists

Cardamom buns: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cardamom-buns

Stilton and Bacon rolls, I use Paul Hollywood's recipe from his book "Bread", but I think this is the same: https://love-fromtheoven.blogspot.co...ton-rolls.html

Pizza dough, Jamie Oliver's recipe: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...s/pizza-dough/

Flatbread, I sue this one, but have used others and they all seem to work well: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/q...atbreads_43123

I notice BBC Good Food has a GF flatbread recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...min-flatbreads

Master
    I've been making bread for years, but my latest is bagels - brought a huge smile to everyone on Christmas morning when I produced freshly-baked smoked salmon bagels. The Bread Ahead cookbook (and bakery courses) are much recommended - I had a great time there and have several of their books.

Master
    The proving stage is critical - check to see if you have a proving setting on your oven, that can be a game changer.

Master
    Re-reading this thread as we are thinking about making bread at home to replace shop bought.

Anybody use a bread making machine? I assume it is much easier as the machine does the kneading and proving taking the guess work out.

However, we do have a KitchenAid and an oven with a proving setting, so that may be worth a go first I guess. Although need to figure out how the oven works!!!

May start with the BBC recipe linked above by tertius.

Any other tips welcome from home bread makers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Re-reading this thread as we are thinking about making bread at home to replace shop bought.

Anybody use a bread making machine? I assume it is much easier as the machine does the kneading and proving taking the guess work out.

However, we do have a KitchenAid and an oven with a proving setting, so that may be worth a go first I guess. Although need to figure out how the oven works!!!

May start with the BBC recipe linked above by tertius.

Any other tips welcome from home bread makers.
    My simple focaccia, 500g bread flour, 8g salt in the mixer. 400ml of warm water, drop of honey and 8g activated yeast, let it ferment for 10 mintes. Add water/yeast mix and a couple of tablespoons olive oil to the flour and salt. Mix on speed 2 for 6 minutes. leave in same mixer bowl, cover and prove for an hour or until double in size. Transfer and knock the air out of the dough into greaseproof paper lined baking tray, cover and prove another 40 minutes till doubled again. With wet fingers press dimples into dough all over and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees C. It's foolproof. Forget the breadmaker. Just out of the oven an hour ago.
    Last edited by wotsthecrack; 13th February 2024 at 13:57.

I do use a machine, and yes! it is as easy as it sounds.
    It figures in our food regime inasmuch as we minimise shop-bought bread as if we look like running out I can pop a small 400gm loaf on and it just sits there cooking while I get on with other things.
    I have a simple recipe for a white/wholemeal mix loaf which is ideal for multiple use and makes great toast.

The biggie is that I can knock out jams and relishes in small (2-jar) quantities in the breadmaker without enduring the pita that is trying to keep a rolling boil on an electric cooker.

Blog Entries
    We have a machine. Chuck the ingredients in, switch on, go away and do stuff, come back and take out lovely bread. Eat it. While watching interesting tv programmes about artisans and antiques.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Wish I could bake, no matter what I try and do, and follow recipes diligently, its just never worked for me. Good on all of you, some of the stuff looks delicious, although to be fair I use bread as an accompaniment to butter!

If you like French Sticks but would prefer them with more flavour try this recipe. Takes 3 days but well worth it

Day 1
    250g Strong White Flour, (I use Canadian Flour)
    4g Salt
    150mL Water
    1g Dried Yeast, (I use Caputo, an Italian yeast)

Put all ingredients into a mixer with dough hook for 10 minutes or need manually for same.
    Turn out into an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Day 2
    As per day 1 but with 5g Salt and 3g Yeast
    Put all ingredients into a mixer with dough hook and start to bring together, (or in a bowl and start to bring together by hand).
    As the mix starts to come together break the Day 1 starter into pieces and add slowly as you mix/need
    Need for 10 minutes then turn out into an oiled bowl, cover and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Day 3.
    Take out of fridge, turn out onto a very lightly floured surface and knock back to remove all gas.
    Divide into 3 equal portions and form each into a ball. Set aside at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Using both hands roll out each ball to French Stick size and place them on a floured tea towel, rouched to keep them apart and allow to prove - about an hour at room temperature.
    When sufficiently risen, move to a baking tray and score the tops with a lame, razor blade, or very sharp knife.
    Put a dish of boiling water in the bottom of the oven to create steam which helps the bread crust.
    Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes at 200 Degrees C, but check after 15.

Should look like this

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Damn they look fantastic!

Will scale it back to a single stick and give that a go for the weekend I think.

Master
    We use a bread making machine and it’s great. Stick the ingredients in the machine the night before, set the timer and wake up to fresh bread each morning. We also use it just for mixing and proving the dough for pizzas, focaccia, bagels etc. (I say we, I can just about manage to make a plain white loaf with it, my wife makes all the fancy stuff)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Literally just out of the oven, decided on some baguettes to have with the risotto for tonight vally night dinner for Mrs P.

I generally prove overnight but this was a 2pm start. A few 30 min stretch and folds, divide and rest for a bit then role and rest in baguette try for an hour before baking.

It wasn’t too bad for a rush job.

Pitch

Bread baking is my holiday therapy - given I’ve more time due to lesser demands, I always do some baking. Above are recent bakes whilst on a cycling break in Somerset.

Quick home bakes are normally focaccia, as you can force it up quick and get good flavour/texture without much effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some cracking efforts in here lads. Well done!

Blog Entries
    Indeed this place seems to be becoming all about food. LOL

Pitch

Bread baking

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Literally just out of the oven, decided on some baguettes to have with the risotto for tonight vally night dinner for Mrs P.

I generally prove overnight but this was a 2pm start. A few 30 min stretch and folds, divide and rest for a bit then role and rest in baguette try for an hour before baking.

It wasn’t too bad for a rush job.

Pitch

They have immediately made me feel famished!
    Great work!

Mrs made these via the Thermomix last night. She does big sourdough loaves too - They always turn out very well, and last a matter of hours if I am near them and a bit of salted butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 16th February 2024 at 12:45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    They have immediately made me feel famished!
    Great work!

Mrs made these via the Thermomix last night. She does big sourdough loaves too - They always turn out very well, and last a matter of hours if I am near them and a bit of salted butter

Looking great and with you that they don’t last long. I’m even butter and sprinkle of maldons flacked.

Pitch

Try this Pita Bread recipe and you'll never eat shop bought again

2 Cups, (500g), Strong White Flour - I use Canadian, it's a very strong flour.
    Half a Cup, (125g), of Ata Flour, (also known as Chapati Flour) - I use Elephant Ata
    1 teaspoon Salt
    2 Tablespoons Caster Sugar,
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    2 teaspoons dried yeast - I use Caputo Italian yeast
    1 Cup of Warm Water

Put all ingredients into a bowl, mix and kneed for 10 minutes - or use a mixer with dough hook
    Put dough in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and prove for 2 hours or when doubled in size at room temperature
    Fold several times to knock back a get rid of all the gas
    Form a roll and divide into 10 equal portions
    Fold each portion and shape into a ball
    Stand for 10 minutes
    Roll each ball out to approximately 6 to 8 inch rounds
    Allow to prove for 15 minutes
    Cook on a Tava or Frying Pan, (very lightly oiled if not Non-Stick type), on a high heat and flip after approx 30 seconds on 1st side
    The Pita should puff up into a ball as it cooks on the 2nd side
    Remove and allow to cool if you're going to eat them later - they're great split open at one end and filled with anything you fancy.
    They also make great Peshwari or Garlic Naan's - open one end and fill as required then quickly reheat before serving.

Or serve with Crudités and dips like Tzatziki and Humous, (I mix flaked Smoked Green Jalapeños, Oregano and Sweet Chilli Sauce in Humous to liven it up)....

....like today's lunch, served with a nice glass of Rose Wine

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Great recipe, may have to give that a go one day.

So it appears Panasonic breadmakers are as hard to get as a stainless Rolex these days. Looked far and wide and eventually got one. Just popped out our third loaf and it is working well.
    Given the aim is to replace shop bought, we felt having a machine to do it would give us a slightly higher chance of this habit lasting. So far so good, although slicing took some practice and of course purchase of new tools!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great recipe, may have to give that a go one day.

So it appears Panasonic breadmakers are as hard to get as a stainless Rolex these days. Looked far and wide and eventually got one. Just popped out our third loaf and it is working well.
    Given the aim is to replace shop bought, we felt having a machine to do it would give us a slightly higher chance of this habit lasting. So far so good, although slicing took some practice and of course purchase of new tools!
    Which panny is the one to get? Also how long does a loaf last ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Which panny is the one to get? Also how long does a loaf last ?
    This link may be useful, but it may come down to which is avialable and which colour matches your kitchen!

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consume...omparison.html

We went for the 2550. The 'top of the range' is the 2540 - from my research I think it is exactly the same as the 2550 but it has one extra function for spelt. Of course there is a colour difference too.

The most recent loaf we made was seeded with Doves Farm seedhouse flour. Absolutely brilliant result.

It will last a 3-4 days I suspect, if you buy a storage device (check Amazon).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

I have a simple recipe for a white/wholemeal mix loaf which is ideal for multiple use and makes great toast.

Would love to hear your recipe. That is next on my list to try 50/50. Assume you use the wheat programme for it rather than white?

Would love to hear your recipe. That is next on my list to try 50/50. Assume you use the wheat programme for it rather than white?
    Bear in mind you are dealing with Mr. Keepitsimple here. This is the recipe I use when I have inadvertently run out of bread so need to bang something on pronto.

270ml tepid water
    2 1/2 tablespons dried milk
    2 1/2 tablespoons Spy Crisp n Dry
    3/4 teaspoon salt (can be omitted or adjusted to taste)
    375gm bread flour ( I use Sainsburys own brand)
    75gm Carrs Wholemeal bread flour
    1 1/4 teaspoon Hovis dried yeast.

Bung it in the breadmaker pan in the order listed, then basic programme for a medium size loaf.

Every other recipe so far posted puts this to shame, but it isn't intended for artisan prizewinning bread, it's intended for emergency no-nonsense loaf production.
    Having said that, the sandwiches I kindy provide for the Weardale Road Pub Quiz League Christmas Extravaganza are made with this recipe bread on pain of (my) death, so it is popular in certain quarters.

Master
    Thanks. I’ve just popped one in using the wheat programme and the standard wheat measurements but just substituted half the wholemeal for white. Let’s see what pops out in the morning!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    As warned not gluten free, but here you go ...

For regular bread I use this one, with two amendments: 1. use a mixture of about 1/3 wholemeal 2/3 stoneground white bread flour - all wholemeal is just too heavy; and 2. add in a second rise after shaping the loaf - first rise, in the bowl, second after shaping. About an hour each. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...our-easy-steps
    [/url]
    After first rise do you knead it again?

Edit. Well I did need it again. Proofed for about another hour and half on a window ledge. By the time I got it to the oven it deflated. Didn't rise in the oven.

Last edited by sprite1275; 3rd March 2024 at 17:41.

Craftsman
    You might have left it proving too long before putting in the oven. Also, never open the oven when it's in.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    After first rise do you knead it again?

Edit. Well I did need it again. Proofed for about another hour and half on a window ledge. By the time I got it to the oven it deflated. Didn't rise in the oven.

No luck sourcing the panny I’m guessing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    You might have left it proving too long before putting in the oven. Also, never open the oven when it's in.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk
    Yes, probably over-proved. You want the loaf to rise significantly in the oven - about a quarter to a third again; in other words, don’t prove it until it is the final desired size, but leave room for it to rise in the oven. I also think the oven temperature in that BBC recipe is too low to start with. I heat my oven to 250 c and then put the loaf in for 16 minutes at that temperature, and then turn it down to about 200 c for 22 minutes. The initial very high temperature will help the loaf rise - it is called oven spring.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No luck sourcing the panny I’m guessing?
    No. Tbh I'm not sure I like the idea of using energy just to make one loaf of bread. I like the idea of utilizing the oven when cooking something else. Going to try making my own for a bit first.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Yes, probably over-proved. You want the loaf to rise significantly in the oven - about a quarter to a third again; in other words, don’t prove it until it is the final desired size, but leave room for it to rise in the oven. I also think the oven temperature in that BBC recipe is too low to start with. I heat my oven to 250 c and then put the loaf in for 16 minutes at that temperature, and then turn it down to about 200 c for 22 minutes. The initial very high temperature will help the loaf rise - it is called oven spring.
    Yes I think I definitely proved too long. I was waiting until I put the dinner on. Don't think I'll add the second proving next time. It does taste quite good. Maybe just a little stodgy because it didn't rise.

Bread baking

Portuguese Loaf (why Portuguese I do not know, but that is what the recipe is called!)
    just out of the oven.
    House is filled with the smell, making me bloody starving!!!

Love bread. It's even better when you make it yourself.

This thread reminds me of Trigger Happy TV and this.....

https://youtu.be/yByP88jUQH4?si=GybfADo5pz2sXJFr