closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I've never been a Breitling fan until....

I've never been a Breitling fan until....

I happened to get this in a trade last year.
    It has all the bits that would be gold, polished or just bling that I wouldn't like.

The thing that I love is well the matt finish, it actually looks like a watch a pilot would use rather than a watch that says I want to look like a pilot!

It's gone from being a catch and release trade too being in my watch rotation.
    Some days on the bracelet and someday on leather.

I never thought I'd say I've found a Breitling I love!!

I did briefly own a vintage navitimer but it just didn't fit in my rotation.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I also never had any interest in the brand until I owned my first one. I do wonder how many people have been in the same position. I think their watches are fantastic and, when compared with other luxury brands, offer outstanding VFM. Yours is stunning!

Master
    A Breitling Avenger Seawolf titanium was my daily wearer for 8 years. Loved the watch but not the high service and repair costs from Breitling UK - I remember how shocked I was when they refused to return the damaged case back to me after replacing it. They also damaged the watch during a service and ended up replacing the dial and hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar for me, never had much interest in the brand* until I bought a Seawolf and then an M1. Both fantastic watches.

(*Navitimer has about 4x as much on the dial than I could handle)

Looks good. What size is it?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

I liked the style, but couldn't understand why Breitling made it in Stainless Steel rather than Titanium (which the SR-71 is constructed from)

The use of the name "Blackbird" seemed a bit of a stretch with that.

Quite a deep casing/back on it too.

If I ever had another Breitling, that would be the one.

Lovely

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    If I ever had another Breitling, that would be the one.

Lovely

Dave
    I have a couple of Breitlings and like many others, but I'm not a fan of the crown, pushers or bezel on that one, personally.

Breitling has made too broad a range of designs to categorically say "I don't like Breitlings", IMO.

There's nearly always something people do like from their range and certainly back catalogue.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    A Breitling Blackbird the first ever proper watch I bought back in 2001 and it started my now 22yr enjoyment of owning/collecting mechanical movement watches. I will always have a soft spot for this exact Breitling

Journeyman
    Was never keen on breitlings, only really new of the navitimer and the Bentley versions. Always found them too busy. Saw a super ocean heritage in blue and fell in love.

The Breitling Blackbird, the one that came after this with the big date at 12, was the watch that got me into watches. My boss at the time got one and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I had a passing interest in them before and, as a motorsport fan, was aware of a few of the brands, but before this I didn't even know what an automatic movement was. Lovely watch and one that I will always have a fondness for.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

That is really nice. I really like this era of Breitling myself, too.

Craftsman
    Got to love a breitling some of there new stuff are great watches

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    The Breitling Blackbird, the one that came after this with the big date at 12, was the watch that got me into watches. My boss at the time got one and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I had a passing interest in them before and, as a motorsport fan, was aware of a few of the brands, but before this I didn't even know what an automatic movement was. Lovely watch and one that I will always have a fondness for.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
    One of the ones I kinda wish I had not sold. The Breitling Crosswind Special LE. Big date complication and super on its bracelet or OEM leather. Miss it.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I always longed for a Navitimer until I saw one, too fiddly for me. But then I acquired an Aerospace and it gave me a real appreciation of Breitling's watches. The Aerospace for me is their best piece.

Have worn a Navitimer on Nato to dress it down as a daily for over a decade. Never felt anything else could do a better job.

Craftsman
    I picked up a 2004 Blackbird last year in great condition. Similarly to you, I love the muted look, it really has a purposeful air to it. The pilot bracelet is great and the size is very wearable. I think that era represents the best of the recent Breitlings aesthetics. It isn’t in any way blingy-shiny, means business and for a Chronograph is a very simple piece.

Happy you found one, it looks lovely.

Master
    In 2001 I bought a new Spatiographe with champagne dial on a bi metallic bracelet. It was a beautiful watch but very unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app