closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rado Original

Rado Original

https://www.rado.com/en_gb/diastar-o...r12160303.html

I should not like this. But I do. Thoughts?

Rado Original

I should not like this. And I don’t

An odd looking thing. Sorry.

And it will come with the depreciation of a lead anvil being pushed off the top of a tower block.

Looks like someone threw up in a toilet, then added a bracelet.

Edit: OK that's possibly a little unfair, but it is an ugly duckling IMO.

If you seriously like it, buy it. If you're just wanting to start a thread, you've done it. As to my opinion on the watch, I'm with the majority.

The blue dialled version looks very nice, but green? That is a colour that should not be upon any watch.
    F.T.F.A.

It's a classic design and I very much like it. I've owned quite a few Rados in the past (including a couple of Diastars) and I honestly think the designs don't get the respect they deserve - admittedly there are a few horrors out there though.

I rather like it, but since this style of Rado exists in some abundance as vintage examples, I'd be looking amongst them and saving a chunk of ££££ - £200 will get you a dizzying choice of chestwiggy 1970s gold examples on ebay with dials that make that green one look very restrained.

I do like a green dial, mind...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The blue dialled version looks very nice, but green? That is a colour that should not be upon any watch.
    Can't agree with you Mags

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Can't agree with you Mags

It's ok that you disagree with me, I can't force you to be right. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I've had one of these for about 8/10yrs, still looks great, wears lovely and is so comfortable. Looks better than the OP's one (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    And it will come with the depreciation of a lead anvil being pushed off the top of a tower block.
    Yes, I realise it will depreciate. But I'm unlikely to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    If you seriously like it, buy it. If you're just wanting to start a thread, you've done it. As to my opinion on the watch, I'm with the majority.
    I'm seriously considering buying it. Is that okay?

I like the blue too. But I have a lot of blue watches and thought the green might be a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    It's a classic design and I very much like it. I've owned quite a few Rados in the past (including a couple of Diastars) and I honestly think the designs don't get the respect they deserve - admittedly there are a few horrors out there though.
    I have looked at this style of watch before. But there has always been something else I wanted to purchase first. I also like the NCC404. I wish they would do a re-issue of that range.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I rather like it, but since this style of Rado exists in some abundance as vintage examples, I'd be looking amongst them and saving a chunk of ££££ - £200 will get you a dizzying choice of chestwiggy 1970s gold examples on ebay with dials that make that green one look very restrained.
    Yes I've seen all the vintage ones. But I'm reluctant to buy an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    I've had one of these for about 8/10yrs, still looks great, wears lovely and is so comfortable. Looks better than the OP's one (IMHO).
    I think this was one of the ones I looked at some time ago. I think it was on offer in Jomashop or Ashford. That one is a hardmetal bezel right? How does it hold up in terms of scratches?
    The bezel on the one I'm looking at has a ceramic bezel.
    Although the bracelet is stainless steel.
    Out of interest, what size is your wrist?
    Last edited by MDSWATCH; 9th January 2023 at 11:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ghastly looking thing,what were they thinking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    Yes, I realise it will depreciate. But I'm unlikely to sell.

I'm seriously considering buying it. Is that okay?

I like the blue too. But I have a lot of blue watches and thought the green might be a change.

I have looked at this style of watch before. But there has always been something else I wanted to purchase first. I also like the NCC404. I wish they would do a re-issue of that range.

Yes I've seen all the vintage ones. But I'm reluctant to buy an older model.

I think this was one of the ones I looked at some time ago. I think it was on offer in Jomashop or Ashford. That one is a hardmetal bezel right? How does it hold up in terms of scratches?
    The bezel on the one I'm looking at has a ceramic bezel.
    Although the bracelet is stainless steel.
    Out of interest, what size is your wrist?
    Hi, my wrist is 20.5cm/8". the clasp is s/s and has the usual desk diving scuffs but the head is perfect. being hard metal it has a nice heft to it, which I like. I'd also say buy what you like the look of - I like the green, but not the day/date layout.
    Last edited by emgee; 9th January 2023 at 12:20.

Rado Original

Very 70’s but in a good way. Quite agree about the green though, awful colour on a watch. And that’s from someone who sold a Submariner LV after 7 years as a daily wearer because I didn’t stop disliking the green - green doesn’t go with anything I wear. Always felt like I was wearing a brown belt with black shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Unfortunately the second hand market is awash with fake Diastars so I'd be very wary of buying cheap from eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Unfortunately the second hand market is awash with fake Diastars so I'd be very wary of buying cheap from eBay.
    Wow, I'm honestly amazed that there's sufficient demand! Seems a really niche design. Well-warned

Why shouldn't you like it?! Far too many lookalike watches around so why not celebrate the unique. The Diastar is a real original and good on Rado for keeping them going. I think it is as cool as ****.

Master
    Never seen such a scratch magnet in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Never seen such a scratch magnet in my life.
    Not sure about these but the originals were made of some kind of scratch proof material. I must admit - although he never owned one - this is a design which I remember very clearly from the 80’s/90’s. Rado watches were in lots of AD’s during that time and this model or similar must have been popular. I’m surprised at the posters who appear to have never seen them before. I must be getting old!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made of their ceramic alloy so shouldn’t scratch easily.