closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bournemouth Airport

Bournemouth Airport

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what this aircraft is at Bournemouth Airport (GoogleMaps), please? Its type, how it got there and any function it now serves?

It looks a little like a Jet Provost. I can't find it looking on Google Earth itself; can you describe where on the airfield the aircraft is.

Ignore that, now found it and is definitely a Jet Provost T5. One of the training aircraft on which I started my RAF flying training in the mid/late-80s.

It's in front of Gama Aviation who provide contracted services to the UK military and was probably bought as a 'Gate Guardian' as displayed at the entrance to many RAF stations.

A more detailed image.
    Last edited by Skier; 5th January 2023 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    It looks a little like a Jet Provost. I can't find it looking on Google Earth itself; can you describe where on the airfield the aircraft is.

Ignore that, now found it and is definitely a Jet Provost T5. One of the training aircraft on which I started my RAF flying training in the mid/late-80s.

It's in front of Gama Aviation who provide contracted services to the UK military and was probably bought as a 'Gate Guardian' as displayed at the entrance to many RAF stations.
    Thanks...you have confirmed my own idea as to the type. It seems to be a little overgrown to be a gate guardian and looks a little sad. Thankfully its well away from the fire training ground.

Master

Bournemouth Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post

A more detailed image.
    It is indeed a JP5 with tip tanks (a rare fit). Likewise for me during the early 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and picture...it looks as though someone may have pruned back the vegetation at some point. I now believe this to be G-BWCS, but painted as XW293. There are some photos at this link and elsewhere on the net.

It might be a `leftover` from the old B`mouth aviation museum.
    That museum was a great place to wander about for a couple of hours, a real old school type of museum in old unused hangars crammed with interesting stuff at every turn .
    They moved it across the road now and it`s a bit sad really, a few old fuselage in a field with some sheds, not the same vibe at all..