closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2023 watch design trends

Master

2023 watch design trends

Put the mince pies to the side for a moment and lift the cloth from the crystal ball, let's peer into 2023. What will be the new hot designs? Bigger? Smaller? More bright colours than a tube of Smarties? More retro classic do-overs, all with faux lume, faux rivets and now with pre aged (ie, beaten up) cases and crystals? Presumably the era for do-overing... doing-over can not continue with the 60s.... Some makers will go 70s futuristic, others will go 20s and revive the pocket watch. Yes, yes! That's my prediction! A Rolex pocket watch in a massive 100mm oyster case, with a Primark red colourway. The case material will be something new... Glossyglassyorganorogidcrystaleisor....aka plasticosor.
    Omega, Tudor, Tissot and a dozen other brands will also do exclusive Primark colour tie ups. You'll not get any of them of course, for the Rolex there will be a list. Get to the top and the ad will invite you to the shop to be sneered at while asking if you might possibly be considered worthy. Primark sweater should be worn to this public humiliation. Primark will be full of them though, at the usual discount prices.

Seriously though, any thoughts? What will be the big design successes?

Primark paying you by the word?

Smaller has to be the way, especially with dive watches, and more importantly - thinner: too many mega-chonks with pointlessly over-domed crystals and sapphire casebacks.

Green evidently still has legs for dials, so perhaps purple will start to proliferate: Christopher Ward has bravely done a purple dial on its Bel Canto, so perhaps others will get on those coat-tails? Mind, red is always under-represented, so perhaps its time will come.

Be nice to see a design trend for bracelets that can actually be adjusted quickly and easily to fit a really wide variety of wrists, too - astounded by the crap that even big names foist on punters...

I agree with EoS - thinner has to be better. Hopefully 2023 will be peak-larper, too, and we can move away from all those beefy bits and things with “sports” in the title back to the genteel world of the dress watch. Ah bliss.

I predict very conservative designs next year. Safe bets for the big brands. Nobody wants to be losing a fortune on a silly coloured oversized, over complicated watches, so we’ll see more of the Pelagos 39 and such and stealth wealth watches in precious metals.

Blog Entries
    Recession hits worldwide = smaller watches and (small c) designs should I say classic. So moving to sub-40mm. Still precious metals but with brushed finish. Could still be some left field players that break the mould. Micro brands develop further.

Customers stop buying high end watches - but go for ultra high instead. Prices double by end of year therefore to match market conditions.

New development means mechanical watches can run for 180h without winding. Oh hang on - we have the 8 day already on the market?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st December 2022 at 00:40.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    The current trend for sub 40mm watches is doing my head in. I get that if you have average or smaller sized wrists that might work for you. Personally it doesn't work for me and I'd hope to see some larger watches but the reality and trend doesn't seem to support that in any way.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Master
    If anything I see the pace of change slowing down, in a year of subtle refinements and high end stealth wealth. The mid-century love affair with the 60s and 70s isn’t over, but it’s running out of ideas and material. All the great integrated bracelet luxury sports watches have already been celebrated, copied and revived, culminating in the re-issue of the gold Vacheron Constantin 222, and the rebirth of the Oysterquartz as a Tissot PRX. Every microbrand has already copied every imaginable diver, and they now need to focus on quality and brand identity. In the mid level luxury market, there’s nowhere to go beyond upgrading a movement here, removing a millimetre there, or creating another limited edition dial for those who can afford it. There may be a pause for breath before genuinely new ideas filter through.

With the economy on the blink, interest rates up, and asset bubbles deflating, the instagram fever driving new releases will gradually fade. Rolex shops may even start to sell watches, but not to people blowing money they don’t have on things they imagined could only go one way. Brands may turn their attention to the seriously wealthy, who aren’t affected by interest rates. AI will be busy revolutionising design, but it will take some time to reach watches, with their emphasis on hand craftsmanship and stylistic nostalgia.

While I’m not expecting a year of massive fireworks, I imagine GS will keep up their momentum as they’re on a roll and still have work to do. I hope some brands will finally notice that polished centre links are problematic, and at least offer an option - perhaps starting with the DJ and Aqua Terra. I’d love to see a brushed bracelet and lugs on a GS white Omiwatari, one of the few truly 2020s watches. I’d like to see more watches daring to dip below 40mm, which is smaller than they used to be but still quite large as a default size for all-dial models. Gold of all flavours will continue to be back in favour, including yellow gold. Eventually we will start to see something distinctly mid-2020s emerging, but gradually I think, the world is changing but designing watches and upgrading technology doesn’t happen overnight.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 31st December 2022 at 01:26.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    If anything I see the pace of change slowing down, in a year of subtle refinements and high end stealth wealth. The mid-century love affair with the 60s and 70s isn’t over, but it’s running out of ideas and material. All the great integrated bracelet luxury sports watches have already been celebrated, copied and revived, culminating in the re-issue of the gold Vacheron Constantin 222, and the rebirth of the Oysterquartz as a Tissot PRX. Every microbrand has already copied every imaginable diver, and they now need to focus on quality and brand identity. In the mid level luxury market, there’s nowhere to go beyond upgrading a movement here, removing a millimetre there, or creating another limited edition dial for those who can afford it. There may be a pause for breath before genuinely new ideas filter through.

With the economy on the blink, interest rates up, and asset bubbles deflating, the instagram fever driving new releases will gradually fade. Rolex shops may even start to sell watches, but not to people blowing money they don’t have on things they imagined could only go one way. Brands may turn their attention to the seriously wealthy, who aren’t affected by interest rates. AI will be busy revolutionising design, but it will take some time to reach watches, with their emphasis on hand craftsmanship and stylistic nostalgia.

Not sure what interest rates have to do with people who can spend £20k on a watch.
    Only about 2 million people come out of their fix rate mortgage, the cost of living crisis is media hype as most working people had a pay rise, so what's £200 more a month on winter gas bill ! More people are richer now than 5 years back.
    And every fit bint now earns £30k a month on only fans lol.

People say interest rates are high at 3.5% lol come on, London is more packed out then ever, I cannot even get on my local shopping centre it’s full daily.

We will have a shallow recession on paper and might see mid end houses drop 7% so what they were well over priced over covid.

But the younger generation saying high interest is laughable.
    What we will see are less chavs in two tones and driving bmw on finance lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    Not sure what interest rates have to do with people who can spend £20k on a watch.
    Only about 2 million people come out of their fix rate mortgage, the cost of living crisis is media hype as most working people had a pay rise, so what's £200 more a month on winter gas bill ! More people are richer now than 5 years back.
    And every fit bint now earns £30k a month on only fans lol.

People say interest rates are high at 3.5% lol come on, London is more packed out then ever, I cannot even get on my local shopping centre it’s full daily.

We will have a shallow recession on paper and might see mid end houses drop 7% so what they were well over priced over covid.

Enjoy it up there in your ivory tower. In the real world a lot of people are feeling the hurt, keeping the heating off and struggling with their bills. Moronic comments like yours make my blood boil tbh. I’m alright Jack mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think we'll see more nods back to the past, of money is tight new wis buyers will be fewer so id be targeting the experienced collector over the green horn.

I think 37mm is due for some attention, colours will be more reserved and you'll see more leather/rubber as the profit margin on them is mahoosive compared to bracelets

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    Those saying that interest rates used to be much higher in their day are forgetting that housing costs are now a much higher multiple of incomes, there really is no comparison. Perhaps the thread should stick to watch design trends (have any thoughts on that topic?), though inevitably they are influenced by economics and social changes, including those in markets like China. Either way it feels more like a year for very high end pieces targeting those who are safely insulated, and less like a year for those treating watches like an alternative to cryptocurrency.

Perhaps the thread should be titled '2020 Watch Design Trends'?

Surely anything new or innovative to be released in 2023 by the big boys will have been in design for a couple of years already?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    The current trend for sub 40mm watches is doing my head in. I get that if you have average or smaller sized wrists that might work for you. Personally it doesn't work for me and I'd hope to see some larger watches but the reality and trend doesn't seem to support that in any way.

32mm FTW

... average ...
    So, implicitly, the majority of potential customers, which is the only commercially-expedient direction for a business to progress, surely?

... it doesn't work for me ...
    I see this complaint about every new watch that is ever discussed. They're always too big or too small for someone. Why do so many people think they, personally, are at the centre of the universe when commercial strategies are being devised? Honest-if-rhetorical question.

... I'd hope to see some larger watches
    There always will be some, and there are many millions already circulating, you'll be spoiled for choice for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    There always will be some, and there are many millions already circulating, you'll be spoiled for choice for many years to come.
    And they’ll be pennies on the pound now that fashion’s on the turn. Anything over 39mm is going to end up the avocado bathroom suite of watches ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Enjoy it up there in your ivory tower. In the real world a lot of people are feeling the hurt, keeping the heating off and struggling with their bills. Moronic comments like yours make my blood boil tbh. I’m alright Jack mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You cannot buy a Rolex from a store any Rolex ! , you cannot buy a Porsche unless you wait 2 years for one you don’t really want.
    There are more rich people year on year, no one I know is struggling, and the sort of people who are don't buy expensive watches in the main, it's these moronic comments fuelled by the media which make my blood boil about the cost of living bullshit.
    People are just selfish and we have had it too good for the last 10 years imo.
    I long for higher interest rates, my parents get nothing on their savings. And I want to retire soon. All you see on the news are single mums with 3 kids, does my head in.

I’d guess we’ll see the same trends from the last few years continue:

Smaller cases
    More colours
    Some movement innovation, based on ETA designs, coming exclusively from swatch group members

I think the new Seiko and Miyota GMTs will filter into the microbrand space (thus influencing their design)but microbrands as a whole will reduce in number/popularity

I keep expecting brands to focus away from heritage designs but see very little of this in practice, I can’t imagine it will change in 2023.

Wild card: a Tudor Cellini-a-like!

I predict Omega will ring out a limited edition Speedy with a tenuous link to the Moon Landing. It will cost 50% more than the standard Speedy for no discernible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I predict Omega will ring out a limited edition Speedy with a tenuous link to the Moon Landing. It will cost 50% more than the standard Speedy for no discernible reason.
    To be honest I was quite surprised that there wasn't an Orion/SLS related special edition to celebrate the return to lunar orbit of a man rated craft.

people will continue to buy tudor because they cant afford rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You may scoff, but the 2023 Speedmaster ‘First dump on the moon’ with its boutique brown dial could prove to be a very rare reference, prices will only go one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    You may scoff, but the 2023 Speedmaster ‘First dump on the moon’ with its boutique brown dial could prove to be a very rare reference, prices will only go one way.
    That’s quite a faecetious reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    That’s quite a faecetious reply.

Dealing with Klingons in zero gravity certainly merits a special edition...

Craftsman
    More precious metal, the rich get richer and the poor want to flaunt what they've got.

Hmmm... Some current or forthcoming designs...

&c...

^^^^^^^^

What's with the whole purple thing going on?

Not for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

What's with the whole purple thing going on?

Not for me.

Some do (there's a few there I could be tempted by), but chiefly they get people discussing the brands issuing them.

I very much doubt it'll go as mainstream as green has (a colour I personally love).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    And they’ll be pennies on the pound now that fashion’s on the turn. Anything over 39mm is going to end up the avocado bathroom suite of watches ;)
    Well I'm well and truly shafted as I bought something very off trend at 46mm, it'll go nicely with everything else large I have to buy.

What do I mean, well we aren't all hobbits, I've size 13 feet and a 8.5" circumference wrist.....

I do appreciate some of the earlier comments regarding the, commercial focus, and that's fine. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

On a positive note, there's no chance I'll be buying any shoes off SC any time soon either..... Thank god!!!

With the giddy pricing in recent years, there seems to have been a few manufacturers joining in and doing quite well - all in the £10k plus bracket - Bvlgari, GP spring to mind and JLC and Cartier have seen a resurgence in popularity. That seems to be the norm price wise these days, along with bog standard Subs and Seamasters etc, so see a gap for £2-5k watches of GOOD quality, but still considered 'good' because whatever people say, they do judge their mates opinions on their trinkets.

All the silly colours can go back in the drawer for me.

Master
    I could agree with that and brands like Oris, Christopher ward and so on could do really well selling what are still obtainable and are affordable in a tighter financial climate world, bit also still truly excellent watches. I'd like to see that.