closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2005 Planet Ocean box

Craftsman

2005 Planet Ocean box

Looking some advice here. I was out with my wife today and came across a used watch dealer who had a 2005 Planet Ocean in stock, Having wanted to get my hands on one for a while, I went in for a nosey. Sales assistant showed me the watch and it didn't disappoint, however... She said it came with original box and papers, but the box was a large polished wooden box, not the smaller red box I expected. I asked her about it and she went off and checked and came back saying, yes, it's original.

Am I right in saying this style of Omega box was from a later Seamaster?

The watch had been serviced in 2021 but she was unsure who did it and if still under any warranty from the service, so I said I'd call back at some stage just.

Many thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're right, should be the red box.

Mines a 2005, and yes, it came with the red box you mentioned.
    I know some folks sweet talked sales folk, and may have got the 'upgraded' box, but I don't think they were the bigger version you described - they were comparible in size I seem to recall.
    My red box is in pretty crappy condition despite being looked after. They are notorious for peeling and looking like garbage, so maybe they were trying to make it look more appealing with a new box?

Craftsman
    That’s the box that came with my 2013 PO

Blog Entries
    Definitely the red box for the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had an 06/07 which came with a wooden box .
    They probably had both out at the same time,until they were all gone .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As mk1974 said, both types of box were knocking about. My 2013 po came in the red leatherette box but at the same time a mate bought a SMP chrono and he got the weekend box despite that being a cheaper watch. Think it was a bit of luck, no leatherette box available/staff grabbing a wooden one.

If you like the watch don't be put off by the box. the box is for gathering dust on the top of the wardrobe anyway

Master
    Could be wrong but I was convinced the large wooden box came out in roughly 2014? I know you can’t wear the box but I’m a sucker for a complete set, incorrect box would be off putting for me.

I’d be more worried about the sketchy service - if they don’t know who did it, chances are it was their ‘in house watch expert’ who usually does batteries and bracelet sizing! - I’ve seen plenty of watches that have been allegedly serviced with so much crud when you pop the crown it’s obvious they’ve had very little attention, if any. They just chuck in a years warranty and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’d be more worried about the sketchy service - if they don’t know who did it, chances are it was their ‘in house watch expert’ who usually does batteries and bracelet sizing! - I’ve seen plenty of watches that have been allegedly serviced with so much crud when you pop the crown it’s obvious they’ve had very little attention, if any. They just chuck in a years warranty and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny enough, that's exactly what she said when I asked about the service and if still covered by the terms of it, she offered a 12 month warranty.

In fairness, she knew very litttle and gave the the business card of the owner so I might give him a shout. Watch is priced at £3.5k which is probably a fair retail price from a dealer but still a lot of money to me so I'm being very cautious.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The 'mahogany' box was seen as an upgrade back then. It was about the same size as the standard red box.

A larger wodden box may have also been around then but will have been for PM or museum pieces only. It became mainstream in 2015

Boxes aside... £3500 for a 2005 Planet Ocean?! You've not mentioned if it's a chono so I assume it's a 2200 (45.5) or a 2201 (42mm) three hander. If so it'll also be a 2500C. Most prefer a 2500D, even if it's had an verified service.

***edit***

I wasn't intending to put you off in regards to the 2500C. I've had one for years and never encountered an issue.

Fantastic watches... and a bit of a strap whore too!

*** 2nd edit ***

Just checked on C24 and it would seem that £3500 is now dealer ballpark. Crazy times!

I'd be placing a WTB on here first though.

Last edited by Jon Kenney; 31st December 2022 at 02:26.

Craftsman
    Jon, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with that detail. Pics of stunning POs are making me want one even more!

One thing I'm realising is I don't know enough about them. The one I looked at seemed to have had the case refinished and perhaps not to Omega levels.

I found the watch listed online on thier shop:

https://www.mcneillys.co.uk/product/...-planet-ocean/

I think that larger paler wooden box is incorrect.
    If lucky enough to get a wooden box I think it would
    have been the darker one back in 2005.

Prices truly are eye opening.
    I bought a 2007, in red leatherette, at about 6 months old for £900 and sold it 3 years later for £1600ish
    …and look what they’re fetching now

Journeyman
    The red leatherette box is the period correct one. I own the 2005 PO.

The wooden box came several years later with later PO gens.

What they are asking price wise for the watch is crazy high IMHO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    What they are asking price wise for the watch is crazy high IMHO
    I’m with you on this, especially for a 17yr old watch. I would think the number should start with a 2 at least, granted at the higher end and if it’s a really nice watch just tip the 3’s. There’s a good few owners here on TZ I’d put a WTB up and see what comes out of that first.

Master
    I was / am thinking of moving mine on - that price seems pretty ambitious but I suppose that’s because we’re used to TZ mates rates .
    It was suggested 2500 was cheap and 3000 was top end but that’s here . Add in business costs and i suppose it looks about right . Top money id want everything right though - box , service etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    I was / am thinking of moving mine on - that price seems pretty ambitious but I suppose that’s because we’re used to TZ mates rates .
    It was suggested 2500 was cheap and 3000 was top end but that’s here . Add in business costs and i suppose it looks about right . Top money id want everything right though - box , service etc
    That's what I'm thinking. I know the box isn't a big issue but paying top dollar for it would mean everything should be right. Not only that, but the fact I'm being told I'm wrong and that is the original box is worrying. She obvioulsy either hasn't a clue or will make anything up to get a sale.

BTW, if you do decide to move it on, keep me in mind

Craftsman
    I’d echo the general view. The red box was normal for the period. I had a 2006 vintage 45m PO, I bought a few more around the same time. All had the red box. I have seen plenty since of a similar vintage that come with the wooden box but I don’t think that’s ‘period correct’, if you like.

The price seems very, very steep to me. I think £2800-£3000 is the right ballpark. In the nicest possible way, any more is silly money. There are examples on Chrono24 well under that £3.5k.

Craftsman
    I could be wrong, but looking at the advert pictures I think the watch in question has the clasp from the newer 2nd generation Planet Ocean?

It should definitely have the red box but the wooden box is far nicer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I could be wrong, but looking at the advert pictures I think the watch in question has the clasp from the newer 2nd generation Planet Ocean?

It should definitely have the red box but the wooden box is far nicer.
    I did wonder about this as something I remember readng said the first generation didn't have micro adjustment in the clasp but this one has.

Craftsman
    The first gen most definitely did not have micro adjustment in the clasp. You have to get the fit right using links and half links. Which are held together with pin and collar on that model.

Although the clasp isn't original to the watch it is reassuring to know the newer clasps fit as the old clasp is one of the main reasons I've never had one. Might go hunt for one.

Master
    The new clasp is a popular upgrade, costs about £100 iirc

Did the same for my Speedy when I had one, no idea why I didn't consider it for the PO. Much prefer the older design.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    I did wonder about this as something I remember readng said the first generation didn't have micro adjustment in the clasp but this one has.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    The first gen most definitely did not have micro adjustment in the clasp. You have to get the fit right using links and half links. Which are held together with pin and collar on that model.
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Although the clasp isn't original to the watch it is reassuring to know the newer clasps fit as the old clasp is one of the main reasons I've never had one. Might go hunt for one.
    The second generation didn’t automatically get the micro adjustment. My watch is the second generation with the newer looking clasp but no micro adjustment - the reason I originally mentioned that the advertised watch had the newer clasp (like my clasp) is the engraving. The originals clasp (I believe) would have ‘Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean’ engraved on it. My 2nd generation watch only has ‘Omega’ engraved - and it definitely has the original clasp.

Nothing I’m pointing out is a bad thing (in my book) - I’m just pointing out a difference. You potentially get the newer box and newer clasp and if you get a decent warranty and the watch is actually mint, it might be worth a punt at that money….