closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planet Ocean sizes

Master

Planet Ocean sizes

As mentioned in the ‘Watch Intentions 2023’ thread I am keen to acquire an Omega Planet Ocean sometime. I briefly had 42mm 2500 years ago but felt it was a little small for my taste at the time. Now I come to look at the options for my next purchase I’m faced with the size issue again.

I’ll be buying pre-owned and am attracted to the aesthetics of the newer models, however many reports suggest the thickness can be an issue for some. On the face of it the 43.5mm case size sounds ideal for me, but it’s a thick case and has me wondering if I’d be better off settling for a smaller model or more balanced overall dimensions of the older variant again.

What’s your experience of the type? My wrist is a fairly flat 7-7.2”. I prefer to wear watches on bracelets and shirt sleeves are not common attire for me, so I’m not concerned about fitting under cuffs.

Surely just try one on (e.g. at your local dealer)? Any other suggestion is a weak 2nd best.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For current models yes, but I am also interested in owners personal experiences of both older and more recent models. Those who’ve owned both maybe. Did the weight or thickness of the newer variants become an issue for you after time?

A nice 42mm - 2500 movement was a nice fit for me however the current 43.5 is just a tad too big and yes feels very thick if you are used to Subs etc, I couldn’t quite get on with glossy bits

However Omega made a fabulous watch between the 2500 and current a 42mm with 8500 movement and sapphire case back and a lovely semi matt insert its 15.8mm thick so still chunky but to me more proportionally acceptable for my 6.75 wrist.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...23230422101001

They are still out there but in small numbers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    A nice 42mm - 2500 movement was a nice fit for me however the current 43.5 is just a tad too big and yes feels very thick if you are used to Subs etc, I couldn’t quite get on with glossy bits

However Omega made a fabulous watch between the 2500 and current a 42mm with 8500 movement and sapphire case back and a lovely semi matt insert its 15.8mm thick so still chunky but to me more proportionally acceptable for my 6.75 wrist.

One on Subdial by the looks of it :

https://subdial.co/products/omega-se...0-42-21-01-001

Tempted myself!

Master
    Hi Pete a great choice the Planet Ocean. I’m lucky to have an original 42mm orange bezel 2500 variant and the 42mm 8500 variant as suggested earlier in the thread by TKH. Both are great watches and I enjoy them both but the 2500 model does wear much nicer due to the shallower watch side profile and is less likely to roll around on the wrist due to weighing less than the 8500. I would be hard pushed to decide which one had to go though, although the 8500 does feel more robust.
    Originally I had the 43.5 mm Liquid Metal PO on bracelet which was nice but that felt a little too out of proportion and too top heavy for me so I changed to the above. The advantage of the newer models is the adjustable clasp which is always a nice plus as I have to remove a half link during winter as my wrist size changes. Not sure if the adjustable clasp can be retro fitted to the older models. I did also have the 45mm 8500 calibre and that wore very nicely on the Omega rubber strap with deployant so as always try before you buy. I know we have similar watch tastes so for my 7.25 - 7.5 inch wrist the 42mm versions are the sweet spot for me. I’ll WhatsApp you over some photos later.

Its amazing the difference 1.5mm can make!

I had an old 42mm Planet Ocean, I liked it, but it wore too small for me, so I flipped it. (at the time I had a 2531 Seamaster, it seemed to me to wear much smaller than the Seamaster?).

Ive had 2 X 43,5mm Planet Oceans, they certainly don't wear small...Lovely watches though..those I flipped for the next "must have"! watch............whatever they were!

The 43.5 is a chunky ish watch, I didn't find it too big though, on my 18cm wrist.

Master
    I too had a 2500, loved it def one that shouldn’t have been sold…. But tastes change and found it a tad small. Picked up a GMT( Orca or Oreo whatever you want to call it!) if you read the reviews everyone states how thick it is and so forth- I absolutely love it, after been used to wearing Panerai’s I like a bit of heft, yes the Omega is thick but with the easy adjust bracelet it sits remarkably well on my 6.75 wrist.

Whatever you end deciding to get, you can’t go wrong with a Planet Ocean.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I posted this when the gen 3s came out. I still own my 2500 but have never quite been convinced to commit to any of the later versions:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...et-Ocean-range

Master
    Thank you for the helpful information and experiences posted so far.

Master

I've one, it's never going anywhere, it's fabulous.
    The display back is mineral glass I believe.

Blog Entries
    For the smaller wrist , don’t forget the 39.5mm
    This is the best PO I’ve owned

Journeyman
    I've worn my 2500C 45.5 since 2005. It's 15mm high and fits under most cuffs. It wears big on my 7in/18cm wrist (60mm span) but that's what I wanted when I tried on both the 42mm and 45.5mm at the boutique. Love the case design, charcoal dial and purposeful look. Cost me 1550 pounds on bracelet back then, with a free croc strap on deployment clasp thrown in. What a steal.

My experience has been very satisfying. It was my only watch at first and I wore it daily 7 years straight, swapping the bracelet for the crocodile strap or the rubber band.

The watch has performed flawlessly and extremely accurately (typically +1.5 s/d on average). Took it for an overhaul at the official service centre in 2016. Cost me 410 eur and they returned a bunch of parts.

My first serious piece, unforgettable memories.

Last edited by VicLeChic; 29th December 2022 at 19:55.

I’ve owned three Planet Oceans, 2 x 42 mm 2500 and a ceramic 45 mm version. The 42 was, I say was as I regret selling my last, a perfect wear for me. My wrists shape & size very similar to the OP’s. The bracelet was comfortable and the OEM rubber strap meant this piece could cover all occasions. My Omega currently is a Seamaster 300 m but I miss the hand set shape of the PO. Good luck with the hunt!
    Jon

Craftsman
    I picked up a 2022 43.5 mm a couple of weeks ago and think it’s a spectacular watch.

yes it’s a big watch, but not stupidly big. It’s very wearable and also very comfortable given the short lug to lug length and the bracelet micro adjustment.

I have a 7.25 inch wrist and I think this was the right choice for me. The 39mm actually felt to small.

Most people will say it’s too thick, but it is built to go 600m after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Planet Ocean sizes

I had this model. Cracking watch and not too blingy like the newer models imo.
    I only sold it when it’s size became an issue for me. It was the thickness that I disliked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 29th December 2022 at 22:35.

Master
    Turns out that a 2500 XL was just what I was after and one is now sitting very comfortably on my wrist. It is certainly not small or light, but I like a fairly large watch with a bit of heft and am very happy with how it wears. With the bracelet adjusted snug but not tight it doesn’t slop around on my wrist and is surprisingly low profile given the thickness measurements. There is no lug overhang and even with those extended solid end links the bracelet doesn’t quite hang straight down as I thought it might. Whether it stands the test of time who knows, but for now at least I am smitten.