closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: White faced chronos

Master

White faced chronos

Over the years, my watch collection has consisted of mostly dark faced watches. Mostly black, some dark grey, some another dark colour/mostly a shade of blue. Earlier this year I picked up a Patek 5212A from my AD which has been my first light coloured watch that I have actually kept and worn on a regular basis (it is probably my favourite daily wearer out of all).

Maybe it is the aging colour of my hair (mostly silver now from being once black!), but I am finding light coloured watches of immense appeal as they seem to work really well on me. I also find dark faced watches quite… “serious” in some way.

I have never had a light faced chronograph and want to add one to my collection. I tried on the white gold Canopus Moonwatch the other day and was dangerously close to buying it. It is utterly beautiful in so many ways. (c.£30/45k)

I also tried on the white faced Racing Speedmaster, and was surprised that it was such a good looker - but it felt about 2mm too big on my wrist. (c.£8k)

The Tudor Chronomaster Panda was also tried on, but the case design just felt unrefined and overly tall/blocky. Good price though. (£4,200)

I also saw the white faced Zenith Chronomaster Sport. Lovely, but perhaps a bit too “shiny shiny” and the most jewellery-like out of the options. It did fit and wear very well though.

Then there is the white Rolex Daytona. It is the most comfortable to wear by quite a margin. It is the slimmest of them all. But not available easily (unlikely from an AD as my purchase history has been dispersed amongst too many and WoS are idiots); and secondary unworn prices still strong.

Finally, I’m enamoured by the 45th Anniversary Silver Snoopy. It is as in demand is as the Daytona. And equally silly in asking prices on the secondary market.

Out of these options, I feel like it’ is narrowed down to either the Canopus Moonwatch, white Daytona, or Silver Snoopy. Any of the others would feel like a compromise. All pricey, but they are in a class of their own imho and would be a keeper. Each of them come with considerations: be it notoriety (Daytona), intrinsic value for their material (Canopus), sheer collectibility (Silver Snoopy), or 'value' / buy-in cost. What are your thoughts on these, and resources permitting, which would you go for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spareparts; 22nd December 2022 at 13:32.

I had a similar experience. Always owned black faced divers and chronos. However, we were on holiday this year and happened to be touring through Andorra. We stopped to do some watch shopping as you do. The dealer we went to hadn’t got the Tudor I was looking for but proudly produced the panda chronograph. I actually have the black faced predecessor, but when I saw the panda close up I really liked it. Anyway, long story short I ended up buying it on the pretext that if I didn’t bond with it over the rest of the holiday I could sell it when I get back home and not lose any money. It’s hardly been off my wrist since! I’m now hankering over a white faced Speedmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Have you considered the Navitimer? Always a handsome watch, classis/iconic styling, not over-expensive (cough - I have only ever bought used) and apparently available sans hoops to jump through.

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01307...1-Mens-Watch/p

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Have you considered the Navitimer? Always a handsome watch, classis/iconic styling, not over-expensive (cough - I have only ever bought used) and apparently available sans hoops to jump through.

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01307...1-Mens-Watch/p
    What a good suggestion. I hadn't considered it as most Breitlings wear too large on my modest wrists, and the Navitimer especially due to the lack of bezel. A classic design for sure, but not sure my wrist can pull it off. Ultimately, it falls in the same category as the Racing Speedmaster - good looking but too large as a keeper.

Master
    the zenith is at least as good looking as the daytona, not quite as refined but in no way is the price differential justified.

I cant see value in either the daytona or the snoopy, they are 8-10k watches, certainly not 20k+ watches

so that leaves the WG speedy imo.

______

​Jim.

Master
    Both good looking, but similar to Breitlings, I have averted Panerais as they are too big.

The important bit is buying a chronograph with a white dial that's also very legible. All the chronographs you showed are in that category apart from the Tudor. Nice contrasting hands. Easy to read the time. A white dial and white or silver hands don't work for me.
    Last edited by j111dja; 22nd December 2022 at 12:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    the zenith is at least as good looking as the daytona, not quite as refined but in no way is the price differential justified.

I cant see value in either the daytona or the snoopy, they are 8-10k watches, certainly not 20k+ watches

so that leaves the WG speedy imo.
    The Zenith has the upside of an arguably more desirable movement (I'm a big fan of Zeniths in general, especially the ElP). But if you had the Zenith, it would just be a placeholder until one could (somehow) secure a Daytona at 12k list. At 12k, the Daytona walks over the Zenith imho. The price differential is not justified, agreed, but neither seem to be losing value - at the moment, given Daytona's have [thankfully] collapsed to pre-Covid values. So from a TCO perspective, the Daytona is the same as the Zenith but has greater long term desirability.

The Snoopy and WG Speedy are both iconic in design. So tempting. But should one take either over a grey Daytona?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of your choices, I think I would go for the snoopy.
    I feel like precious metal and moon watches are counter intuitive which rules out the Canopus, and im just not a fan of the Daytona as find them really hard to read.

If you like the speedy racing, have you considered a Grey Side Of The Moon?
    Very similar dial but plat rather than white, but the darker ceramic visually "shrinks" the watch so it doesnt appear as large as the racing would.

Another one that is less expensive but very comfortable, nicely built and legible is the Tissot prx panda?
    I find the RG hands make it much easier to read at a glance than white metal on white dial.

Last edited by verv; 22nd December 2022 at 12:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The important bit is buying a chronograph with a white dial that's also very legible. All the chronographs you showed are in that category apart from the Tudor. Nice contrasting hands. Easy to read the time. A white dial and white or silver hands don't work for me.
    You're right - the hands of the Tudor obscuring the subdials are annoying. And maybe it is just me, but the subdials appear a tad small?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Out of your choices, I think I would go for the snoopy.
    I feel like precious metal and moon watches are counter intuitive which rules out the Canopus, and im just not a fan of the Daytona as find them really hard to read.

If you like the speedy racing, have you considered a Grey Side Of The Moon?
    Very similar dial but plat rather than white, but the darker ceramic visually "shrinks" the watch so it doesnt appear as large as the racing would.

Another one that is less expensive but very comfortable, nicely built and legible is the Tissot prx panda?
    I find the RG hands make it much easier to read at a glance than white metal on white dial.

The Tissot is a solid watch at a great price. But whatever watch I wear, it needs to be a bit special and give a bit of pride when wearing it. Whilst I find that with my GShock Vintage DLC IP'd square, I wouldn't with the Tissot.

The Grey Side of the Moon - hadn't considered this at all. The ceramic case is intriguing and could make a nice alternative to metal watches. May need to try one on!

Master
    Another consideration

I've had several white dialled chrono's over the years.

I currently have a Seiko Prospex Speedtimer SSC813P1 which was an absolute bargain at £590 brand new. OK it's quartz but so what? It's also solar.

At 39mm it's OK for my 7.25" wrist

but they now do a 41mm version, which had I known about when I bought mine, I'd probably have gone for. https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...raph-ssc911p1/

Then there is the Tudor Oysterdate 79260 (another watch I should never have sold)

which used the Daytona case of the time & is way more elegant than the current Tudor equivalent.

Or how about a Siffert Autavia? Yet another I should never have sold

There are a couple of Oysterdates & Sifferts on Chrono24 at present.

Others perhaps a bit more left field from those you've mentioned Ade

Sinn 956 Klassik

OK the dial is cream rather than white

Damasko DC57

Damasko DC67

Perhaps a bit bulky?
    Last edited by andy tims; 22nd December 2022 at 13:12.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    You're right - the hands of the Tudor obscuring the subdials are annoying. And maybe it is just me, but the subdials appear a tad small?
    Possibly, but the issue for me is the hands.

I have watches with white dials but the hands have to contrast to be able to read the time easily. I'm getting on a bit.

You have listed some nice chronographs. There is plenty of choice at any budget, from the latest Seiko Solar chronograph (in two different sizes) to the expensive Snoopy Speedy.
    Last edited by j111dja; 22nd December 2022 at 13:07.

Master
    The Zenith has the upside of an arguably more desirable movement (I'm a big fan of Zeniths in general, especially the ElP). But if you had the Zenith, it would just be a placeholder until one could (somehow) secure a Daytona at 12k list. At 12k, the Daytona walks over the Zenith imho. The price differential is not justified, agreed, but neither seem to be losing value - at the moment, given Daytona's have [thankfully] collapsed to pre-Covid values. So from a TCO perspective, the Daytona is the same as the Zenith but has greater long term desirability.

The Snoopy and WG Speedy are both iconic in design. So tempting. But should one take either over a grey Daytona?
    At 12k the zenith is well beaten by the Rolex i agree, but thats a big difference at retail (Zenith is £9k or less i think). I can recall selling a daytona to blowers for retail maybe 10 years ago, im not convinced that the current grey prices are indicative of what they will be long term, i certainly wouldnt be comfortable holding one at twice retail or more and not worrying about the value dropping.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Another consideration

Hmmm - hadn't thought about that...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I've had several white dialled chrono's over the years.

I currently have a Seiko Prospex Speedtimer SSC813P1 which was an absolute bargain at £590 brand new. OK it's quartz but so what? It's also solar.

At 39mm it's OK for my 7.25" wrist

but they now do a 41mm version, which had I known about when I bought mine, I'd probably have gone for. https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...raph-ssc911p1/

Then there is the Tudor Oysterdate 79260 (another watch I should never have sold)

which used the Daytona case of the time & is way more elegant than the current Tudor equivalent.

Or how about a Siffert Autavia? Yet another I should never have sold

There are a couple of Oysterdates & Sifferts on Chrono24 at present.

Others perhaps a bit more left field from those you've mentioned Ade

Sinn 956 Klassik

OK the dial is cream rather than white

Damasko DC57

Damasko DC67

Perhaps a bit bulky?
    Fantastic suggestions Andy. The Seiko would be a great holiday watch! The Tudor is a solid choice - just had a look on C24, and maybe finding one in good condition becomes the goal. Never had a Sinn - it looks good though. And the Autavia... that is a classy watch. Would love to find one in that kind of condition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    At 12k the zenith is well beaten by the Rolex i agree, but thats a big difference at retail (Zenith is £9k or less i think). I can recall selling a daytona to blowers for retail maybe 10 years ago, im not convinced that the current grey prices are indicative of what they will be long term, i certainly wouldnt be comfortable holding one at twice retail or more and not worrying about the value dropping.
    With inflation and rates settling around 3-4% long term, I don't see grey prices diminishing much more than where they are now tbh. The spike in Daytonas this past year was as speculative as crypto vapour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like all the options but I love the Daytona more. Can't say why though. The Zenith is the objectively most interesting, and the Omega the most timeless.

Nice dilemma.

I recently tried the Tag Carrera Elegance WoS Ltd Ed on and was mighty impressed. white in the flesh but pictures do show it at off white.

Master
    With inflation and rates settling around 3-4% long term, I don't see grey prices diminishing much more than where they are now tbh. The spike in Daytonas this past year was as speculative as crypto vapour.
    if you are comfortable with the Daytona grey prices then i think thats probably the one for you :)

Have you worn one before? i personally found my 116520 a little dainty.

Speedmaster Albino limited edition for Italian market in 1990s I think. Not white, but off-white. Most legible watch with the contrast between hands (very dark grey, not black) and dial. On a snoopy strap I picked up from SC. Lovely watch but I don’t dare to wear it on the streets so much any more, sadly…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Speedmaster Albino limited edition for Italian market in 1990s I think. Not white, but off-white. Most legible watch with the contrast between hands (very dark grey, not black) and dial. On a snoopy strap I picked up from SC. Lovely watch but I don’t dare to wear it on the streets so much any more, sadly…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's awesome - did not know they made such a special edition. Just had a look on C24... strong values! At that level, however, I think the Canopus is a stronger contender.

Master

That is just lovely. Are the hands painted black, or is it just a reflection of the view behind the camera?

For me, whatever the watch, a high contrast, easily readable dial set is absolutely paramount (which is why that Tudor Panda would never find favour with me). It's why I like Sinns so much.

I think the best white-dialled chrono is a Damasko DC67. Superb clarity and full lume of course...

Granted it's not as delicate and finely detailed as the ones you've posted - definitely more 'in your face'.

I couldn't pay the market price for that Omega personally. I think a 38mm AP Chrono would be the sweet spot but there isn't a current white catalogue model in that size (just grey) and the discontinued ones with blue subdials are silly money.

All things considered I would probably go for a WTB here for a current model Daytona. Not exactly white but the white gold Daytona on Oysterflex with the "steel and black" dial would be right up there for me.

most Breitlings wear too large on my modest wrists, and the Navitimer especially due to the lack of bezel
    If you can source one and don't mind the 24hr dial I'd be all over this Cosmonaute.

41mm and an absolute classic. One I'd love to get hold of.

Speedmaster 'Racing' 326.30.40.50.02.001? 40mm, super-legible, and sanely-priced (even with import duties)

This link will take you to C24 with a bunch of filters enabled for smaller white/silver dialled chronos between £900 and £25k!

Worth a browse to see what's out there
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 24th December 2022 at 15:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know it’s not a chrono but I nearly ventured to the ‘white’ side with a ploproff with white dial. The lume is superb and the whole watch looks very different in white - I have two PPs in ti and black.

I’ve always been a black dial wearer until last week though when AD called to say my Daytona was in and in white. Love it!!

Sorry, I’m hopeless (can’t work out) at posting pics on here like everyone else does.

Have a great Xmas everyone!

Jim

My white dialled chrono. Absolutely top quality from Omega but I find little chrono dials too small now to be clear .......

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk