closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water leak...

Master

Water leak...

Just had an alarm call at the shop... single sensor so fortunately not an intruder, just been for a look and my entire ceiling has caved in. Water leak, probably frozen pipes over the past week. Fire brigade on their way to shut off all the water but it looks like that's me finished.
    Stock is all intact, but the shop is going to need a strip and rebuild. Carpets, cabinets, electrics. Not happening.

This year has been pretty crap from start to end but this is the final nail in the coffin. Gonna be closed Christmas week, a death sentence.

Absolutely pissed off beyond belief.

So sorry to hear that Kev.

I hope things improve soon.

All the best
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Had similar in our office back in the late 90’s. Every ceiling down , plus water leaks all over the factory. I really feel you pain.

Steve

Water leak...

That’s awful - hopefully you can recoup the costs with insurance claim and restart soon. Sorry that it happened to you - can’t imagine that feeling

I am so sorry, that is awful.
    I hope it’s not as bad as it seems and you can get back and running asap.

Master
    Thoughts with you, Kev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not a damn thing i can do here. Just locking the doors and pissing off home. I'll have a better look tomorrow in the cold light of day.
    We get these alarm calls every year, it's usually a decoration that's fallen down and set off a sensor, not the while fking ceiling!
    Any other time it would be an inconvenience but 6 days before Christmas it's as bad as it gets.

Jeez Kev - fingers crossed for you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That’s awful - hopefully you can recoup the costs with insurance claim and restart soon. Sorry that it happened to you - can’t imagine that feeling
    That was my first thought but even if the insurance claim rebuilds the shop we aren't going to survive without Xmas in the bank. Absolute stinker this.

Obviously there are people worse off but this has just finished me off today.

Craftsman
    Always shit happens at worst time.
    Get home, have a tipple and have a rethink in the morning Pal.
    As though times are not hard enough!,
    See how you go but sending best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    That was my first thought but even if the insurance claim rebuilds the shop we aren't going to survive without Xmas in the bank. Absolute stinker this.

Sorry to hear this

Hopefully insurance will behave. Have used Balcombe Harris Loss Assessors before and they did well for my claim

Any chance an empty unit nearby you could take on a temporary licence. Your loyal customers may well come by if you have appropriate signage

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That is rubbish and exactly not what anyone needs - I feel for you

Assume there's some insurance? Best of luck getting it sorted and as someone said, is there any way to grab a temporary space somewhere?

That’s a bastard… so sorry, mate. Please do check your insurance cover for consequential loss, as it might save the day if you have it. You could probably base the claim on previous holiday periods.

Master
    Tough enough on the High St without this. I remember when I worked in retail we did 75% of our annual turnover in December, so this must be gutting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Horrible. Just talking to my heating engineer mate who has been stripping me boiler down all afternoon said exactly the same thing what has happened to you about a job he went to yesterday. Couple of rads wasn't working for a customer and he went into the loft to find a burst pipe but also about 3 inches of water sitting between the joists ontop of the cieling.
    As he was telling the customer that it's a good idea to drill some holes in the ceiling the whole ceiling just caved.

What was the shop selling ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear kev

Master
    Sorry to read this, any time of year it sucks, but Christmas retail week and a full one at that is a nightmare. Fingers crossed for you and your return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    That’s really shite, couldn’t come at a worse time. Fingers crossed you’ll still be able to open up again.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear about your trouble Kev. Hope it gets sorted quickly and with minimal disruption to your business.
    Best wishes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear your terrible news, I know how you are feeling but try to be as positive as you can. Best of luck

Really sorry to read this OP. All the best

This suck. So sorry.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Any chance an empty unit nearby you could take on a temporary licence. Your loyal customers may well come by if you have appropriate signage
    Sad news indeed. But that’s a good idea above. I’ve no idea what you sell or where, but there are pop-up shops in shopping centres, market stalls with diverse ranges of stuff, and maybe space within a local Christmas market.

Hopefully you can get something sorted and keep going.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That is rubbish and exactly not what anyone needs - I feel for you

Assume there's some insurance? Best of luck getting it sorted and as someone said, is there any way to grab a temporary space somewhere?
    Again, thanks all. Given the nature of the business (mainly diamonds and silver) a pop up shop is off the table - mine is kitted out with security, cctv and bandit glass.
    Fire brigade have just been onto me - they've had to break into the travel agent opposite to turn off all water and power and their second floor (used to be a "cruise lounge" but no longer in use) which extends above us has dozens and dozens of buckets catching water, all overflowing.
    So its their leak, we just suffered for it. At 9am tomorrow I'm going to go and deck their manager, the lovely Neil.

So its their leak, we just suffered for it. At 9am tomorrow I'm going to go and deck their manager, the lovely Neil.
    Shite news Kev, hope you can salvage something from the situation.
    No wonder you're spitting feathers having found out someone knew there was a problem, I would be too. But be carefull, you could stymie any legal recourse you may have by giving him a clout or three.

Master
    That's crap.
    Hopefully insurance will cover you for business interruption .
    Best of luck.

Water leak...

If it’s their leak it’s maybe their insurance that will cough up and you should absolutely be claiming for all loss of earnings

Ouch, hopefully you have business interruption insurance, if so you might come out ahead, just

Master
    What a shit thing to happen any time of year, but especially now with everything else going on.
    Fingers crossed you get some kind of speedy resolution.

Master
    Again, thanks all. Given the nature of the business (mainly diamonds and silver) a pop up shop is off the table - mine is kitted out with security, cctv and bandit glass.
    Fire brigade have just been onto me - they've had to break into the travel agent opposite to turn off all water and power and their second floor (used to be a "cruise lounge" but no longer in use) which extends above us has dozens and dozens of buckets catching water, all overflowing.
    I’m hoping the fact it is their issue putting you out of pocket is going to be your saviour. Don’t lamp him just yet.

A...At 9am tomorrow I'm going to go and deck their manager, the once-lovely Neil.
    Just correcting for you, Kev. (o;

Sorry that this happened and at such a bad time. I hope you find tomorrow that it's perhaps not quite as bad (e.g. insurance cover, consequential loss) and that you can carry on. Best wishes to you. Do keep us posted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m hoping the fact it is their issue putting you out of pocket is going to be your saviour. Don’t lamp him just yet.

I'll keep my temper, just seriously frustrated about the whole thing, massively compounded by the fact they knew it was an issue, and for quite some time it appears!

Blog Entries
    That’s rubbish pal…. Business continuity insurance (or something like that ?). Should cover you for the lost trading earnings

On a possible positive, It’s an opportunity to kit it out again maybe?

Master
    Kev can you not claim off the travel agent with the info supplied by firemen?

Really sorry to hear this Kev. Keep us up to date with what’s happening hopefully it can be turned round chap.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

wait until after the insurance to feed someone their teeth.
    given the info is there course for further legal action? bound to be some clever legal wallahs here who would know.
    if so wait until after said further legal action to do the teeth feeding...

it'll be bugger all consolation but i recently pulled a mate out of his car after he lost it on ice at a corner and headon'd a concrete wall - as i said to him - "nobody died, including you" - that said the car is a giant paperweight. didnt cheer him up much either...

Sorry to hear this Kev. Hopefully things’ll look a little brighter in the morning and the insurance company, (his and/or yours), will come up trumps.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I sincerely hope that you're sufficiently compensated for this, what an absolute b!tch of a situation.

Who owns the bricks and mortar? Are landlords involved?

Awful news, must be devastating. Sorry to hear it and hope you're compensated properly when it's said and done

So sorry to hear of this, Kev.

A black cloud indeed, but hopefully there will be a silver lining to it by way of compensation.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    That's awful and doubly frustrating that someone could have prevented it. Hopefully as others have said you have recourse through yours or their insurance.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Sorry to hear. Just about the worst time for this to happen and was also going to suggest a pop up shop, but really can't do that with diamond supply and no real security.

DON

Master
    Just saw this Kev - my commiserations. Really gutting to hear about your shop.

Give me a shout if there’s anything I can do.

Blog Entries
    Kev what a shit time for this to happen .is their anyone in the local area with the same business that your friendly with or anyone in your not so local area that’s worth a journey that could take some of the bread and butter stock with a commission on a sale etc

Just a thought buddy

Master
    Just adding my best wishes Kev, you deserve a lot better from what I know of you on here so hopefully the fact that it's not your insurance who'll be paying will make the outcome better in the long run. I don't doubt you'll recover loss of earnings so that ought to put Xmas in the bank at a later date.

I know of a couple of s/e mates who made the best of a similar scenario to take a different direction so don't know if that's an option for you but fingers crossed for you whatever you decide.

Truly sorry to read of this Kev, what a shame.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I feel for you Kevin, I really do.

Total pixxer best of luck getting a satisfactory , for you, outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That’s a bastard… so sorry, mate. Please do check your insurance cover for consequential loss, as it might save the day if you have it. You could probably base the claim on previous holiday periods.
    Did you check your (or your landlord's) cover for consequential loss/business interruption cover, Kev?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th December 2022 at 13:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Correct - Ultimately it may fall to the landlord to keep the property in repair or it could fall to the first floor tenant if there was a known issue and they did not mitigate properly. I'd be very surprised if the OP's insurers don't have a claim in offset against one of those, especially if the first floor tenant knew there was a problem, had buckets everywhere and did not alert the ground floor.