closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insulated Jacket Questions

Craftsman

Insulated Jacket Questions

I know we have some knowledgeable forumites on the subject of jackets. Considering purchasing an insulated jacket for photography and dog walking - so low level physical activity. So far I'm looking at the RAB Nebula Pro but wondered what would be the equivalent down jacket in their range to help me gauge the warmth please - if anyone has this jacket and could comment on how good ...or otherwise that would be excellent.
    I've also briefly tried on a Mountain Equipment Lightline which did feel very cosy but wondering if the coat is actually too warm for this country - excluding the recent weather
    All advice much appreciated

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got a couple of ME jackets both with different ‘heating’ properties that I’ve relied on for a good few years.

They are a good, practical bit of kit that serves well. And not stupidly expensive.

RAB is also good, a few colleagues have had that kit and found it serves them well.

Fit is important so try to try both makes and see what YOU like.

Good luck with the pics taking.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've used either Finisterre or Rab jackets since the late 90's. Dabbled with North Face once but would never again.

This winter been wearing a Rab Arete (which I think is the predecessor to the Nebula) and was out and about in -9 this week with no discomfort.

Always found them really well made.

If you want good spec for a good price have a look at Alpkit, mid price for me would be Rab, money no object (best) PHD.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Tbh I've been out and about in whatever sub zero temps London currently has, inc last Sunday by the Southbank/Thames where it was bitter, using a Rab Microlight jacket with a Merino sweater under it over a normal t-shirt and it's been perfectly fine. Just need a decent hat and gloves to go with it.

You probably know this, but down jackets are not generally waterproof.

I've owned a few different brands over the years and they are all pretty decent to be fair. I like Jottnar, Mountain Equipment and Montane at the moment.

If you want to save a decent bit of cash have a look at uniqlos range. Very good value.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Down body warmer under ex army Goretex M65 jacket (£70 new or £30 issued, thread in G&D) Arthur Beale Wool hat and ski gloves will cover you for all eventualities in the UK.

Got my son the Rab nebula in the dark ink colour. Lovely jacket and he fussy about coats n stuff but he wears it all the time especially last few days

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have that same jacket,nice and warm but I don’t wear it in wet weather.Harkila pro hunter is my wet weather coat.

Craftsman
    I have an ME Lightline, 20 years old, zip is cranky, but it's still warm and water resistant and gets a lot of use. Whatever you choose, as said, fit is everything, try on in a shop with what you'd wear rather than buy online.

Master
    I've worn a RAB Nubula for years now. Dog walking, fell walking, nights out etc it's a jacket for every occasion😁 Most comfortable jacket I've ever worn, warm but not too warm, very easy to layer up underneath if requires. Was out in -8°C the other morning with the dog with just a t-shirt underneath and was fine. I do live in the Lake District though so a RAB is an essential part of your wardrobe....especially when at Keswick🤣
    You won't regret buying one but you will need a different jacket when going out in the rain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Down body warmer under ex army Goretex M65 jacket (£70 new or £30 issued, thread in G&D) Arthur Beale Wool hat and ski gloves will cover you for all eventualities in the UK.
    I’m now looking at these, need to lose some weight before ordering as otherwise buying now pre 8kg drop will be a size change I think. Amazing value for money.

If your budget allows, PHD is excellent

Craftsman
    I'm currently having a good experience with a Helly Hansen insulated parka. Keeps me warm in the current temperatures.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve got lots of down jackets but have been wearing a north face mc Murdo 2 great in this weather and its waterproof too

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone for their input will hopefully be able to get some time to try a few jackets in the next few days

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a waterproof down jacket I can recommend the Rab Valiance

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    If you want a waterproof down jacket I can recommend the Rab Valiance
    That looks like a great jacket.

PSA

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1655335...acket-16553356

Master
    Have a look at the snugpack Torrent jacket, insulated and waterproof, had mine a couple of years and have been very impressed.
    https://www.snugpak.com/torrent

Master
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=Valiance

Rab valiance jackets on sport pursuit website this morning. Full stock on two colours for 159, which is about 100 quid lower than you can normally pick them up for .

Also fleeced and other jackets at great prices.

You’ve got to create an account to get access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainwashed by the RSPB brigade, I have splashed the cash on a Paramo Pajaro coat. This is the first outdoor coat for ages that I have owned that does not have the "three-in-one" removeable fleece inner jacket.
    So - impressed by the fashion advice so far on this thread - I am hoping that someone can explain to a geriatic Gloverall wearer the concept of "layering", or matching one's comfort to the ambient temperature by deploying various undergarments such as hoodies, thin fleece jackets etc.
    To put it another way - how much more money will I have to spend?
    I daresay that I could find relevant websites, but I do appreciate the real-life advice on TZ.

Layering is really about trapping warm air between the layers and allowing greater flexibility of temperature range rather than one big thick layer. A good layering system should also allow for sweat to wick away from your body and evaporate out through your outer membrane. (Paramo gear good for this)
    With our weather right now having the opportunity to gear up or down is very useful.
    Enjoy your coat!

Cheers daveyw, I am really lagging behind the fashion times and appreciate any advice.
    My usual attire is a cotton short-sleeve T-shirt (of which I have hundreds), then in colder weather a rugby shirt (of which I have hundreds), then when heading out on goes the Berghaus three-in-one.
    So I reckon I just need a light fleece, maybe even a half-zip, and I will be more or less sorted.
    Oxfam shop here I come!
    Last edited by unclealec; 27th December 2022 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    lolz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Cheers daveyw, I am really lagging behind the fashion times and appreciate any advice.
    My usual attire is a cotton short-sleeve T-shirt (of which I have hundreds), then in colder weather a rugby shirt (of which I have hundreds), then when heading out on goes the Berghaus three-in-one.
    So I reckon I just need a light fleece, maybe even a half-zip, and I will be more or less sorted.
    Oxfam shop here I come!
    Just avoid cotton layers underneath your new Paramo jacket, which is a great choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Rab valiance jackets on sport pursuit website this morning. Full stock on two colours for 159, which is about 100 quid lower than you can normally pick them up for .

Thanks for that - good price for that jacket (also unusual in that it's a waterproof down jacket) Unfortunately I didn't like the fit. Based on the jackets I tried in GoOutdors I think I'll go for a RAB Electron Pro .....when they get stick of the colour I prefer !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just avoid cotton layers underneath your new Paramo jacket, which is a great choice.
    Totally agree. I've been using this as a base layer and have been very pleased https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-...er-varmcl21w40

Quite good vfm for merino and not a totally athletic fit either. Very comfy to wear and there may even be a voucher code to bring the price down further

Master
    I swear by Snugpak Softies, I am now on my 3rd or 4th. Lightweight, warm and capacious of pocket, yet folding away into a stuff sack when not in use.
    UK made, reasonably priced & a staple bit of kit for HM Forces, which speaks to their quality.
    The only drawback is that they are not waterproof but it might be possible to spray one with a repellent...

Master
    Picked up a North Face El Norte parka in the sales for £170. Similar style to the McMurdo, Goose Down, waterproof and breathable… couldn’t pass it up at that price.
    Been doing a lot more weekend trips to the West of Scotland, so between this, my Berghaus Extrem Paclite, and my Moncler Petichet.. hopefully I’ve got the various seasons covered. The Petichet is really lightweight but surprisingly warm due to the 90:10 down:feather ratio.
    Last edited by gorrie; 28th December 2022 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I swear by Snugpak Softies, I am now on my 3rd or 4th. Lightweight, warm and capacious of pocket, yet folding away into a stuff sack when not in use.
    UK made, reasonably priced & a staple bit of kit for HM Forces, which speaks to their quality.
    The only drawback is that they are not waterproof but it might be possible to spray one with a repellent...
    Same here, my Snugpak is over 20 years old and still going strong. Way back when it was a ball ache trying to keep down dry, so synthetic it was. Never had any problems with synthetic, so stuck with it. It might not be the snazziest or the flashiest, but the build quality has always served me well.
    Saying that, mine was made in the UK way back when. I think they've moved some of the production overseas now, I've not heard any bad reports though. Just as I'd a little stuck in my habits, if I were to replace it I'd probably stick to one of the UK made ones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Picked up a North Face El Norte parka in the sales for £170. Similar style to the McMurdo, Goose Down, waterproof and breathable… couldn’t pass it up at that price.
    Been doing a lot more weekend trips to the West of Scotland, so between this, my Berghaus Extrem Paclite, and my Moncler Petichet.. hopefully I’ve got the various seasons covered. The Petichet is really lightweight but surprisingly warm due to the 90:10 down:feather ratio.
    Big fan of the McMurdo style but I’m too warm blooded. If I walked anywhere in it I’d be sweating buckets in minutes.

Tried a friends Canada Goose expedition jacket the other day and it’s changed my opinion of them from a fashion jacket to a serious cold weather jacket, the weight and quantity of down was superb. Am sorely tempted but not sure. Has anyone tried the Nobis jackets as an alternative (ex VP of Canada Goose founded Nobis in 2007 I believe).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Tried a friends Canada Goose expedition jacket the other day and it’s changed my opinion of them from a fashion jacket to a serious cold weather jacket, the weight and quantity of down was superb. Am sorely tempted but not sure. Has anyone tried the Nobis jackets as an alternative (ex VP of Canada Goose founded Nobis in 2007 I believe).
    I swapped my CG Expedition for a Nobis Yatesy a few years ago and certainly no difference in quality, the outer fabric is more water resistant, the magnetic closure is a good feature and the fact that the design is a more subtle and they aren't as popular in certain groups of society is a bonus in my opinion. I wouldn't purchase one at retail though as they are seriously pricey and unlike with CG, you probably wouldn't get your money back if you decide it isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I swapped my CG Expedition for a Nobis Yatesy a few years ago and certainly no difference in quality, the outer fabric is more water resistant, the magnetic closure is a good feature and the fact that the design is a more subtle and they aren't as popular in certain groups of society is a bonus in my opinion. I wouldn't purchase one at retail though as they are seriously pricey and unlike with CG, you probably wouldn't get your money back if you decide it isn't for you.
    thanks for this, I’m on the lookout for a Shelby 

Out of interest would you say there’s any difference in warmth between the two?
    Last edited by tiny73; 1st January 2023 at 23:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I got an M65 jacket recently, it's not one for a night out but for walking the hound on a cold day it's an absolute bargain. Only down side is on the recent milder days it's actually too warm!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    thanks for this, I’m on the lookout for a Shelby 

Out of interest would you say there’s any difference in warmth between the two?
    Not noticeably no, however being honest, I haven’t tested either of them at -30 but fine at -5 with only a shirt on underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Not noticeably no, however being honest, I haven’t tested either of them at -30 but fine at -5 with only a shirt on underneath.
    magic, thanks👍🏻

Managed to get a Nobis Yatesy for a good price. First impressions are “wow, it’s warm” and the quality is superb. I’ve zipped the fur off but think I’ll put it back on

Master
    Blog Entries
    From Mountain Equipment to Nobis in 40 posts only on TZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    From Mountain Equipment to Nobis in 40 posts only on TZ!
    😂😂 to be fair, I’ve got more outdoor activity focused jackets (arc’teryx cerium lt and Stellar) but wanted a smarter warm long coat for standing around/low activity that also looks smart and less outdoorsy 😉

Mountain equipment Kroyos

This one is a cracker, good fill power (800) and it has a Gortex shell, whilst the seams are not taped it is far more waterproof than a normal down jacket

https://www.countryside.co.uk/mounta...CABEgKgwfD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Thanks for this. Mine arrived today. Looks decent, will give it a test drive over the next few daysIMG_20230112_230209.jpg

Well done Rab, warm and waterproof.

Well done Sports Pursuit £160!

Will be available on SC in a couple of weeks for a mere £200, which is over a third off retail don't ya know. Ha ha!