closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who to use in the UK for servicing an old Omega inc. pressure testing the case

Who to use in the UK for servicing an old Omega inc. pressure testing the case

Just bought this "Watchco"-esque build (i.e. all original Omega parts)

Vintage tritium dial sympathetically relumed with SL

I'd like to wear it as my daily beater; my watchmaker said the cal. 552 movement is clean and oiled; amplitude and time keeping in all positions is good.

However, there are two issues:

1.) I think the stem has been cut a fraction too short: it's a bit hard to handwind. I can unscrew the crown OK and pull it out to the "setting" position, at which point the hands move. All good. However, when I push it in one click to get to the "winding" position and start winding it the crown screws back in. The only way to do it is to apply zero pressure to the crown or even some negative pressure -- a slight pull or at least absolutely no push, otherwise it just starts tightening down on the threads.

I'm guessing this isn't normal am assuming that the stem has been cut a fraction too short .

I'm wearing this as my daily go-to watch so there should be no need to manually wind the mainspring but if I don't wear it for day I like to top up the power reserve with a bit of handwinding.

2.) I'd like it pressure tested so I can be sure it's waterproof. Case is a brand new one ref. 166.0324 which I believe is the correct part number for the service replacement ("watchco") ones.

So: who to use in the UK for servicing an old Omega inc. pressure testing the case?

My regular chap (Steve Burrage) doesn't have a pressure testing tank and anyway has just had a nasty a blood clot on the brain and is hospital. :-(

Thanks!

I would use Olli. Of this parish. Olivier is fantastic to deal with and sorted out my flightmaster.
    Failing that the watchbloke again a top gent to deal with. My 7016 is still running perfectly after he gave it a service a few years ago.

Grand Master
    This is relatively easy to sort out, a replacement stem cut very carefully should fix it. However, I`d check carefully that the movement's secured correctly in the case with the movement clamps in place before altering the stem. Several years ago I built a couple from parts and cutting the stem to the correct length was a challenge, very little room for error.

I'm not offering to fix this, I don't like getting involved with vintage dive watches of this type and value. Working on a watch is like a game of pass the parcel, whoever touched it last is responsible for any subsequent issues, definitely not one for me even though the job looks straightforward.

Water resistance shouldn't be a problem if the watch was rebuilt into a service replacement case, the crown seal could be an issue if the original crown was retained because the seal will have deteriorated years ago. Definitely worth getting it checked rather than make an assumption.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th December 2022 at 20:51.

Simon Freese serviced mine and checked/adjusted the stem.
    He is ex STS.
    Regards

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

A vote for Duncan TheWatchBloke here. I've burdened him with many small jobs like swapping bezels and pressure testing, and he's always been superb to deal with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    A vote for Duncan TheWatchBloke here. I've burdened him with many small jobs like swapping bezels and pressure testing, and he's always been superb to deal with.
    + 1

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brendan serviced mine ,no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Brendan serviced mine ,no issues.
    Thanks. Is that Brendan Hoey, webwatchmaker?
    Last edited by Rev-O; 13th December 2022 at 12:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Thanks. Is that Brendan Hoey, webwatchmaker?
    Yes

I also echo the suggestions to use Olli, Duncan or Simon.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Got to be Simon Freese as a first choice and STS as a second choice in my opinion.

Sorry to hear Steve Burrage is poorly and wish him well.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"