closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Divers, issued v civilian

Threaded View

CWC Divers, issued v civilian

I've recently acquired a CWC RN Diver, that has absolutely delighted me, and become pretty much welded to my wrist since it arrived. I've started looking at other variants such as the SBS, but couldn't help but notice the very substantial premium on earlier issed examples. Many of these are going to be over 20 years old, a bit scuffed with fading tritium lume. I know some issued watches of more recent manufacture hit eBay a couple of years back, but with concerns about title due to them being pilfered from stores.

I've been trying to get my head around the issued premium and desirability. Clearly collectors love them, and are prepared to pay for one of a smaller pool of watches. I'm sure being issued allows a story to be told, SBS commandos taking on our enemies with guile, a few 9mm rounds and their trusty dive watch. The reality is in many cases probably closer to ended up stores with other gear, some of which went into service, some heroic, some not so. Its not really a Rolex Milsub situation, where the military watches were quite different to the civilian ones they were derived from. I hate to mention Rolex on this forum, but it bears some resemblance to the 15-20% premium on those due to the presence of a piece of paper or plastic card, which is a nonsense, but it is the market.

I like the idea of an SBS, pristine with working lume. If in another life I had been in the forces and had a watch issued to me that I had worn for years I would have an emotional attachment to an object that was part of my life experiences.

I think all the variants are fine watches, but at the moment I'm not seeing the need to chase something neo-vintage and issued. Is there an attraction that I have missed?

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 20th November 2022 at 11:47.