closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can Tag Heuer ETA quartz 963.116 movement be serviced and if so, by who ?

Can Tag Heuer ETA quartz 963.116 movement be serviced and if so, by who ?

I’ve just finally managed to get hold of a Quartz Tag Heuer 980.006L which I purchased as a non runner. I’ve changed the battery and can see the top gear wheels trying to move but just shuddering half a tick forward and back. If I give it a tap on the glass it starts to run for a couple of seconds or a couple of minutes. It runs better if left sitting up at around 45 degrees. I’m hoping it’s just the mechanical side playing up and it can be fixed with a service.

Any ideas ?

Simon
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

If you've got some movement, that's a good sign. If the circuit's gone, they're generally not salvageable.

They can certainly be sorted, I've self-serviced a few 536.121 movements with relative ease.

Doesn’t Duncan at Genesis do Tag?

I would have thought a movement swap would be cheaper and faster on a quartz watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I would have thought a movement swap would be cheaper and faster on a quartz watch.
    Not an option if the movement isn`t available new. Fitting a second-hand movement without stripping, cleaning and oiling is a mistake too IMO.

Even new movements can be risky, some are sold as 'loosepack' which means they're not in original sealed packaging. The parentage of such movements is questionable, if I have to fit one I still prefer stripping it and lubricating properly and if I`m doing that it may be ble to fix the original instead.

Another infuriating factor is the different movement heights available. Same movement, but the hr wheel, cannon pinion and centre seconds wheel can be a different height. In that case the new movement has to be partially stripped to swap the parts over.

Grand Master
    Just done a bit of homework on the movement, the coil and circuit aren`t available as replacements (no surprise!) and there are different height versions. The movement doesn`t feature a separate stepper motor like early quartz movements so it should be straightforward to strip and service, it's what I refer to as a 'modern' quartz movement. One golden rule with these: do NOT touch the coil, don`t even stare at it, they are fragile to say the least.

Many thanks for all the replies, I have sent Paul a PM
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.