closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Westworld: CANCELLED

Westworld: CANCELLED

HBO announced the cancellation today following four seasons. I'm disappointed.

Disappointed but not surprised. Season 1 was good but it somewhat lost its way.

It was becoming increasingly confusing with the multiple timelines and I doubt the locations/sets were cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Disappointed but not surprised. Season 1 was good but it somewhat lost its way.

It was becoming increasingly confusing with the multiple timelines and I doubt the locations/sets were cheap.
    Agreed. Each season was increasingly disappointing IMO.

I watched , but after the main characters left the Westworld world and into the real world. It just stopped being interesting

I can't remember if I've finished watching the last series.

And I'm not bothered whether I have or not.

IMO they have made the right decision.

I thought that was it after the series 4 finale…it had a finality about it! Agree with others, first season was excellent, send was great, third took me ages to work out what the f was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I thought that was it after the series 4 finale…it had a finality about it! Agree with others, first season was excellent, send was great, third took me ages to work out what the f was going on.
    If there was a memorable season 4 finale that suggests that I've not made it to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    If there was a memorable season 4 finale that suggests that I've not made it to the end.
    I didn’t say it was memorable 🤣

Journeyman
    I lost interest early in season 2 and stopped watching it, so quite amazed it ran for 4 seasons.

Master
    I really enjoyed the first and second season. Third not quite as much and then watched the final season but didn't enjoy it as much. If they had made a fifth i probably would have watched but wouldn't have been that bothered. To many programs get dragged out for one more season when it should just finish.

It definitely lost its way and felt like they were trying to shoehorn a completely different show into what started out as Westworld.

If you like that kind of sci-fi, The Peripheral on prime is really good so far (it's even produced by some of the same people). Based on a William Gibson book, so it will have strong bones if they stay close to it.

Master
    “Wait, is this another ‘Lost’?” That’s what my partner and I say when we suspect that a series that initially looks interesting seems to have no idea where it’s going, spinning out random, mystifying and ultimately meaningless plot lines in an attempt to drag out the concept until the networks finally stop paying. Increasingly you feel that the writers themselves never knew the ending, they are just trying to make it feel as if there’s something truly deep that will be revealed at the end. But there simply isn’t.

I haven’t watched season 4 yet (and also gave up on Lost for this reason) so maybe I’m wrong on both counts. I’m told they did actually have an ending planned for season 5. But it certainly had the feeling that it was trying to look really clever, instead of actually being really clever. A pity as I was very much up for the concept, it looked great, and started out with a lot of promise. I may yet see it through, but for those who have watched to the end, will I end up wondering what the hell just happened and googling ‘fan theories’?

PS - if I remember the last few series I think there was another problem. Having just about pulled off a narratively bewildering but sort of clever trick to do with different timelines, they felt the need to repeat the trick in ever more confusing ways. It only just worked the first time, but the later versions were simply annoying.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 8th November 2022 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    I lost interest early in season 2 and stopped watching it, so quite amazed it ran for 4 seasons.
    This was me too. I was surprised at how quickly the show managed to jump the shark...it was really promising in series 1.

I really enjoyed the first series, but the second started to feel rather like they almost hadn't expected to be renewed so had lost its direction rather.
    I'll give it another go!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    This was me too. I was surprised at how quickly the show managed to jump the shark...it was really promising in series 1.
    Don’t think it ‘jumped’ the shark, it bummed it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I feel like one of the main problems is when the writers try to get too clever and overdo the twists or plot complexity at the expense of it being a satisfying watch. Series 1 trod the line well before I felt it became a convoluted mess.

All became rather tedious viewing sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    All became rather tedious viewing sadly.
    +1

I try to never watch second Seasons.
    They are never as good as the first.
    Move on, find something new....it's not as though there's a shortage of this stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I feel like one of the main problems is when the writers try to get too clever and overdo the twists or plot complexity at the expense of it being a satisfying watch. Series 1 trod the line well before I felt it became a convoluted mess.
    +1