closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interest rate rise

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    It does say within the story “If those figures reflect the UK as a whole”

Purely anecdotal but on Saturday morning I queued for twenty minutes at a packed garden centre for 2 coffees and one brownie coming in at just shy of £10. In the evening I went to a local pub which was absolutely heaving. I also see that Glastonbury sold out within an hour. Seems not everyone is struggling.
    I can't believe those figures for a minute regarding 25% of the population have less than £100 in savings.
    The pubs are busy, folks buying new cars,
    theaters sold out, shopping trolleys full.
    We went out for Sunday lunch last week and had to queue for 30 mins for a table.
    Poor UK my foot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I can't believe those figures for a minute regarding 25% of the population have less than £100 in savings.
    We went out for Sunday lunch last week and had to queue for 30 mins for a table.
    Poor UK my foot.
    We’ve just booked a 2 night break at a Manor House hotel near Stratford upon Avon and you wouldn’t believe how booked they are, people are finding the money from somewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    We’ve just booked a 2 night break at a Manor House hotel near Stratford upon Avon and you wouldn’t believe how booked they are, people are finding the money from somewhere.
    I might add that this was booked before the pandemic and never got used, so it was well before all what’s going on and had been paid for.

Poor UK my foot.
    I think there’s a lag with things like energy prices and even mortgage rates hitting people, including those who live hand to mouth.

In the next year or two when fixed rates on energy deals end, millions more people will feel the pinch.

And I read somewhere that over a million fixed rate mortgages will be up for renewal in 2023. People will surely feel the pinch there too.

All a lot of people have really had to contend with til now is an extra £50 a week on the food shop, and nearly £2 a litre at the pumps.

At the moment I think we’re in a kind of phoney war period. Give it 12-18 months and I reckon it’ll be carnage.

Poor UK my foot.
    I think the majority of people live for the moment on credit cards and overdraft with cars on pcp.

Energy prices will plummet though based on current price per therm (gas) which is 92% down vs 7 weeks ago.

Usual media hyping things up

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I might add that this was booked before the pandemic and never got used, so it was well before all what’s going on and had been paid for.
    Maybe they are the same case for everyone else you saw, too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    I think there’s a lag with things like energy prices and even mortgage rates hitting people, including those who live hand to mouth.
    Agree...there must still be a sizeable proportion of people that are shielded from the economic problems at the moment. If you are still on a fixed rate mortgage and fixed your energy prices, you are shielded from most of the inflationary problems and probably just see your food bill has gone up a bit. I'd assume many people are in this situation, hoping that they can ride through and come out of the other side relatively unscathed. So it's probably only those that live hand-to-mouth that immediately feel the effects which is why we still see full restaurants and lots of money still being spent.

Master
    I think there is a lot of denial about poverty in the uk, a bit like global warming. If it’s not affecting people or there friends it doesn’t exist. The knock on effect of price rises is hitting the poor badly. My other half is a nurse that deals with mental health in the community, we’re giving away meals every week so some of her folk actually eat as they don’t have the money to live. Don’t get me started on the money we’re spending on asylum seekers and hotels, while we’ve homeless veterans on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I think there is a lot of denial about poverty in the uk, a bit like global warming. If it’s not affecting people or there friends it doesn’t exist. The knock on effect of price rises is hitting the poor badly. My other half is a nurse that deals with mental health in the community, we’re giving away meals every week so some of her folk actually eat as they don’t have the money to live. Don’t get me started on the money we’re spending on asylum seekers and hotels, while we’ve homeless veterans on the streets.

True. I think it’s easy to get a skewed view of you have no direct contact of the 17% on the poverty line. If you live in a more affluent area, everyone can appear pretty flush for cash. I saw this analogy on twitter…

We're not all in the same boat. We're all in the same storm. Some of us are clinging to driftwood. Some have lifebelts. Some are in small boats. Some are in luxury ocean cruisers. Not everyone is drowning. There should at least be lifebelts for everyone.

Me and the missus having lunch in a busy Turkish restaurant in Kingston right now. Things seem fine down here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    We're not all in the same boat. We're all in the same storm. Some of us are clinging to driftwood. Some have lifebelts. Some are in small boats. Some are in luxury ocean cruisers. Not everyone is drowning. There should at least be lifebelts for everyone.
    That is a good metaphor ... I may use that in the future ...

Do we need someone to post a photo of them sharing a single pot noodle with their family as well to provide balance? Lidl carrier bag on display on the chair etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Me and the missus having lunch in a busy Turkish restaurant in Kingston right now. Things seem fine down here.
    God that looks good. All these Turkish restaurants, wish I had one near me. Might convince the wife to try it over a van option!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Do we need someone to post a photo of them sharing a single pot noodle with their family as well to provide balance? Lidl carrier bag on display on the chair etc.
    There was a queue at the McDonalds drive through when I passed.
    What recession?

^ Yeah, but that's the leafy suburbs on the South Side!

P.S. Is that an LV holdall I spy under that there table ?!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    P.S. Is that an LV holdall I spy under that there table ?!
    It’s Ryan’s wife. There will also be a Hermes bag under there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    True. I think it’s easy to get a skewed view of you have no direct contact of the 17% on the poverty line. If you live in a more affluent area, everyone can appear pretty flush for cash. I saw this analogy on twitter…

So many on this forum are clueless to the reality of what is happening here and globally.

Food banks exceed McDonalds outlets, energy prices are extortionate for many, especially businesses, food prices are rising steeply, interest rates are crippling everyone, directly or indirectly, and winter hasn’t even arrived!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    I went to Lidl today and bought two pastal de nata cakes for a pound.

They were superb with a coffee !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    So many on this forum are clueless to the reality of what is happening here and globally.
    Whilst it's a forum for the enjoyment of watches and associated pleasures, you are wide of the mark making this assertion.

EDIT:- And you have been here long enough to not post this kind of stuff in the G&D.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 10th November 2022 at 21:37.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

I think a lot of people do that now and think it's okay to just turn a blind eye and pretend nothing's going on.