closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of OMEGA PloProf ref. 166.077

Review of OMEGA PloProf ref. 166.077

1.5 years since I made a watch review. Now I did.

Here's the original Omega PloProf.

It's just basic writeup. I'm sure there are much better technical reviews of this model but I hope you find it at least remotely interesting. Tried to get some decent pictures.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.
    I love the Ploprof, I stupidly bought a Navitimer over one of these a few years ago, the Navitimer is long gone, I am sure I made the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Nice write up, thanks for sharing.
    I love the Ploprof, I stupidly bought a Navitimer over one of these a few years ago, the Navitimer is long gone, I am sure I made the wrong choice.
    You're welcome.

Navitimer is extremely cool watch. A classic. Quite different from PloProf though.

Cheers.

didn't realize the crown difference till I read the review and thanks. Still like mine re-issue as it gives all the comfort of engineering and craftmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    didn't realize the crown difference till I read the review and thanks. Still like mine re-issue as it gives all the comfort of engineering and craftmanship.

Personally I also prefer the modern version but I probably would say that as that’s the one I own , truth of it I can’t do vintage pieces, the original ploprof is definitely a stunner great review op

only wish that the current models would have the date at 6:00

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    only wish that the current models would have the date at 6:00
    The date is definitely a annoyance on the modern steel version, a quick set date would have been better than a jumping hour

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    The date is definitely a annoyance on the modern steel version, a quick set date would have been better than a jumping hour
    I disagree, the jumping hour is a great feature especially if you travel with the watch, IMHO it’s not a negative.

I have the 1200m steel Ploprof, would ideally like to own the original vintage version too, great watches.

I wasn't aware that the new version doesn't have a quickset date.

It has a jumping hour hand? Like Rolex GMT? Really?

This has to be added to the review. I will investigate.

I think most newer Omega have the jumping hour hand instead of quick set date
    Useful if you are travelling and wear the watch all the time, not so much if you leave the watch in your watch box unworn for a few days or more.

Enjoyable read and I love the original Ploprof design (I could only bring myself to buy a Helson homage, though), but I think you've let a little bias creep in.

There's no way one can call the Ploprof a 'handsome' watch - It's rugged and characterful, like Sean Bean, but it won't win any beauty contests.

Obviously, anyone CAN call anything handsome, but I don't think you'll find many to support your statement, even amongst its fans!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Enjoyable read and I love the original Ploprof design (I could only bring myself to buy a Helson homage, though), but I think you've let a little bias creep in.

There's no way one can call the Ploprof a 'handsome' watch - It's rugged and characterful, like Sean Bean, but it won't win any beauty contests.

Obviously, anyone CAN call anything handsome, but I don't think you'll find many to support your statement, even amongst its fans!

M
    Depends what is considered "handsome".

I guess Mike Tyson is/was handsome in a rugged kind of way.

Not a pretty boy for sure... and not going to win any beauty contests.

Naomi Watts and Scarlett Johansson are beautiful.

But yeah... "rugged and charcterful" could be better words.

Thanks.

Journeyman
    Great watch - Prefer the original of most watches.

Thanks for the review.

Great write up. I have an original watch and the book by Jon Wallis. My actual watch features in it.

Much prefer the original. It was a watch with a purpose back then, rather than a recreation of a watch which had a purpose. Agree that they don't wear that big, because of the way it extends up the wrist. They don't even look that big or thick next to a modern Panerai or DSSD. And you certainly don't need to worry about banging them on a door - unless you're concerned about your paintwork.

It's a watch that polarises opinion though. My experience is that men love it, but women hate it. Not one to impress on a first date then.