closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Raymond Weil's new Freelancer GMT World Timer

Raymond Weil's new Freelancer GMT World Timer

Raymond Weil doesn't seem to get much - if any - love on here, perhaps because like the vast majority of brands it outsources its movement manufacture, in this instance to Sellita. Given that makes servicing easier and cheaper, I guess some 'manufacture'-besotted WIS must be masochists at heart - certainly a target audience that the likes of Rolex has well under its thumb...

RW has only existed since since 1976, but the fact the brand was born as the 'quartz-crisis' erupted, and yet survives to today as a family-owned independent surely deserves some recognition? Admittedly there are no popular icons to endlessly-reissue, but from a background of worthies finally emerges a standout. For me, this little beauty makes bimetal really work, with the scarce combo of bronze and stainless steel teamed with a green colour scheme: I love it. And busy though the dial is, it remains legible and full of interest, with a pleasing and unobtrusively retro look.

Pictures blagged from this review:

The choice of Sellita SW330-2 is a sensible one one - the 300-series movements are thinner than the 200s, and that manifests in the watch's 9.7mm thickness - decent for a complication watch with 100m WR and display back. 40.5mm diameter seems pretty sweetspotty too.

Downside - if you're a purist - is that this is an 'office' GMT not a 'traveller's'. Sadly, I have no need for either nowadays, but in the past either worked well-enough for me, and the same when my wife was working overseas and I was tracking her hours, so not something I see as an issue. YMMV...

This sort of watch, in bi-metal + green is obviously going to be 'Marmite'+++ - but to me at least it seems a handsome, unusual, interesting and well-executed watch, and fair-value even at full asking of ~£2K. Being a lesser-name, that should get discountable pretty fast.

One for the 'long-list'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Raymond Weil doesn't seem to get much - if any - love on here
    It doesn't get much love in the UK in general afaict.

My impression is that it's due to the designs: They just don't seem to resonate much with people on this forum (or people in the UK, I'd say).

If you say "Raymond Weil" to me what will come to mind is a 80s/90s-ish design that looked good in its time but doesn't seem right nowadays.

However, this...

... is most certainly more compatible with what the inhabitants of this forum seem to want in a watch.

Yes, there is some snobbery over in house vs. outsourced movements but it's not the issue with RW afaict.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It doesn't get much love in the UK in general afaict. ...
    All fair comment, and that in particular is a good point - lots of brands like Mido, Edox, Certina, Titoni, Baume & Mercier, Maurice Lacroix, &c &c seem to be hugely more successful in non-UK markets.

My wife has a couple of Raymond Weil watches and very nice they are too.

I think we have to be careful not to confuse what UK watch fans like with what's going on in the market - Raymond Weil seems to position themselves as an entry level luxury brand (remember the average selling price of watches in the UK is about £80 or £90) and looking at their accounts they do they fairly well - especially as a family-owned business rather than as a larger corporate.

All fair comment, and that in particular is a good point - lots of brands like Mido, Edox, Certina, Titoni, Baume & Mercier, Maurice Lacroix, &c &c seem to be hugely more successful in non-UK markets.
    Availability surely plays a part? (could be chicken or egg)
    RW are available on some high streets but lots of the other mentioned are not; compare that with Europe you will see all those listed above in high street jewellers or dedicated watch shops. I think we in the UK miss out a bit. (Although that is good for my wallet - I fancy trying a modern Edox after having a vintage one a while back)
    Re the RW GMT, I am afraid for me this is typical RW. It’s ok, it is nothing special, they are the Hovis bread or magnolia paint of watch brands. IMO
    The quality is undoubtedly there, looks are inoffensive but there is always something else I would rather try.

Blog Entries
    Certina seems to be picking up in interest level, if this forum is anything to go by.

Personally I've been turned on to B&M and ML due to this forum, although I note that they are still looked down upon by a good few here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    (remember the average selling price of watches in the UK is about £80 or £90)
    It actually surprises me that it's that high!

It would be interesting to see modal price band breakdown. In other words, I wonder if the £80-£90 figure is reached by a relatively small number of Rolexs, Omegas, etc. and a much, much, much larger number of £5 F-91Ws and market stall watches.

It actually surprises me that it's that high!

It would be interesting to see modal price band breakdown. In other words, I wonder if the £80-£90 figure is reached by a relatively small number of Rolexs, Omegas, etc. and a much, much, much larger number of £5 F-91Ws and market stall watches.
    I will have a look for a breakdown - yep - there were be a lot of tat in there with superdry on it and the like.

To me Raymond Weil always went with Frederique Constant. Both had cheapish dress watches without any personality whatsoever. These days Frederique Constant have shot ahead with their monolithic escapement so I don't know where that leaves RW. To be honest I cannot think of a single model that says RW.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Handsome enough, that.
    And no probs with the movement not being in-house.

Is it massive? One of those photos makes it look a bit of a dinner plate.

Raymond is an odd name to have on a dial.
    Like Christopher, or Frederick, or Patek. I think it is a first name thing.

I see the brand in a lot of shops but to be honest, look right past them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Certina seems to be picking up in interest level, if this forum is anything to go by.

Personally I've been turned on to B&M and ML due to this forum, although I note that they are still looked down upon by a good few here.
    Same here, B&M Capeland XXL diver being a highlight.

Never liked all the cities written around the bezel of a GMT though, so it's a no from me on this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Same here, B&M Capeland XXL diver being a highlight.

Never liked all the cities written around the bezel of a GMT though, so it's a no from me on this one.
    I am completely with you on the cities, for me it over complicates the purpose of a quick glance to learn the time.

Cards on the table, the whole green colour scheme does nothing for me, so at least the dial being busy is a non-issue.

Journeyman

Baume? Their recent moonphase 42mm is gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    I like it, even more so the black dial version on their website.
    It's not just a GMT though - those cities around the dial serve
    a purpose - it's a proper Worldtimer.
    Puts me in mind of the Ball Worldtimer Diver.

maseman

Master
    Reminds me of the black Chopard Time Traveler

Taken from https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-r...ized-titanium/

simon
    Last edited by gladders; 10th November 2022 at 21:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    Do you have a link to it?

My favourite B&M is the Riviera with Baumatic movement. They seem to be doing well with these at the moment. If budget allowed, I'd have one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    Very much agreed

__________________________________________________ ________________

As to some comments made earlier, I'm going to generalise, so there are always exceptions, but I think most TZ-ers are way more aware and appreciative of lesser and niche brands than society in general. To me it feels like Britain has become something of a cultural backwater, even compared to neighbour states like Holland and Germany - well, especially Germany. Britain is very brand-fixated in an over-simplistic manner, drawn to brag-factor, and that's not just true of watches. While it's not unique to us, it is regrettable that we've become more like the US and less like Europe. It's very much our loss.

Certina do make some great watches. Their flyback chronograph and their Precidrive models come to mind.

B&M and ML being looked down upon.....most certainly.

One of my more interesting chronograph purchases going back at least a 14 years now was a B&M Transpacific Chronograph. A more recent purchase was a B&M Capeland Flyback Chronograph. Two fantastic watches, especially the Capeland. I do miss owning it so much so that I'm after another one.

I do own a ML Pontos S Chronograph.

At the right price, underrate B&M and ML at your peril.

Very much agreed

__________________________________________________ ________________

As to some comments made earlier, I'm going to generalise, so there are always exceptions, but I think most TZ-ers are way more aware and appreciative of lesser and niche brands than society in general. To me it feels like Britain has become something of a cultural backwater, even compared to neighbour states like Holland and Germany - well, especially Germany. Britain is very brand-fixated in an over-simplistic manner, drawn to brag-factor, and that's not just true of watches. While it's not unique to us, it is regrettable that we've become more like the US and less like Europe. It's very much our loss.
    I agree.
    Last edited by j111dja; 11th November 2022 at 00:12.