closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage build

Looking forward to attending the Official Opening.

Some really nice work with the timber and stonework so far. You've hit the jackpot with these guys.
    I seem to spend more and more time these days putting right poor work and it's a real pleasure to see quality like this.

The scarf joint on the ridge is explained well here by RC who's always worth a watch.

Last edited by jeff; 17th June 2023 at 11:28. Reason: to embed video

Master
    Another nice touch above the doorway, no soffit hence the stone being built all the way up, hopefully roof will be going on in the next couple of weeks as soon as all the stonework has been built up between the rafters.
    Just finding out just how expensive a roof is, although we are having Cambrian slates because of the low pitch, and there are 6 skylights as well.

Jesus is it still being built? Must be the most expensive garage build in the uk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Jesus is it still being built? Must be the most expensive garage build in the uk
    You can't rush perfection, lol.
    Seriously though, there's been a few alterations to the original plan which has taken time to get sorted, also, the different guys that are doing the work had other work booked in, so we've lost them for a few weeks here and there.
    Cost wise, for a garage this size, and with the materials it's being built from, ( stone, oak, cedar cladding, cut roof etc etc ), plus the fact that over 400 tons of soil has been dug out, I'm quite happy with costs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    You can't rush perfection, lol.
    Seriously though, there's been a few alterations to the original plan which has taken time to get sorted, also, the different guys that are doing the work had other work booked in, so we've lost them for a few weeks here and there.
    Cost wise, for a garage this size, and with the materials it's being built from, ( stone, oak, cedar cladding, cut roof etc etc ), plus the fact that over 400 tons of soil has been dug out, I'm quite happy with costs so far.
    Thats all that matters

Master
    One fabulous garage build, think I'd be putting bi-folds on the front and use it as a garden room, way too good for a car (unless you have a couple of amazing classics!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    (unless you have a couple of amazing classics!).
    Which is highly possible here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    One fabulous garage build, think I'd be putting bi-folds on the front and use it as a garden room, way too good for a car (unless you have a couple of amazing classics!).
    No, nothing at the moment, which is unlike me as I do like my cars, was thinking of a Nissan GTR as a play thing but every time I drive our roads I have second thoughts, even to get it from the garage to a decent piece of tarmac would worry me.
    And we already have a garden room come dining room to take in the views around here.

Master
    Another big hit to the wallet, delivery of the Cambrian Roof slates, battens, mop stick for the lead ridge, velux roof lights and the cedar cladding/fascia and barge boards. And a gate post for good measure.
    Roofer should be here on Monday, so hopefully a bit more progress.

Blog Entries
    That’s a lot of Velux!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That’s a lot of Velux!!!
    6 velux skylights and 6 flashing kits

Blog Entries
    6 velux skylights and 6 flashing kits
    It’s been a long old build by the looks of things, but coming along nicely

I just got the solar powered openers for my Velux…. Will fit later in the summer as I had to get some scaffolding to get up there!

Master
    It’s been a long old build by the looks of things, but coming along nicely

I just got the solar powered openers for my Velux…. Will fit later in the summer as I had to get some scaffolding to get up there!
    Yes, it’s been a while getting it to this stage but when you get guys that work to these standards I’m prepared to wait.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it’s been a while getting it to this stage but when you get guys that work to these standards I’m prepared to wait.
    Fair play…. There’s no doubting the workmanship !

No, nothing at the moment, which is unlike me as I do like my cars, was thinking of a Nissan GTR as a play thing but every time I drive our roads I have second thoughts, even to get it from the garage to a decent piece of tarmac would worry me.
    And we already have a garden room come dining room to take in the views around here.
    Being nosey, any chance of a couple of pics? Stunning no doubt... I'd quite happily be out Glos' /Cotswolds way if the Mrs could be convinced...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Being nosey, any chance of a couple of pics? Stunning no doubt... I'd quite happily be out Glos' /Cotswolds way if the Mrs could be convinced...
    Do you mean the views or the room we enjoy them from?

Do you mean the views or the room we enjoy them from?
    Both please 👍

Master
    A few up to date pics and a video of our views, in October a lot of the hedges/trees in the video will be reduced in height to open up our views even more, also the pic of the field is after we've cut most of the trees down and trimmed the hedges, ( if you compare it with the pic I posted earlier in the thread you will see the difference ),we had to cut most of the trees down as they were either diseased or in a dangerous condition due to neglect by the previous owners.
    It has given us a couple of very large log piles for future burning.
    The roof is now felt and battened and vellux windows fitted, cedar fascia and barge boards have been started as well.

The field looking a lot better

Video of the views, the hedges that are coming down are right at the beginning of the video and actually belong to our neighbour, but we have convinced them that they are far too high and will be easier to manage if they are a lot lower

This is our garden/dining room that runs straight on from the kitchen

And these are views from inside

Master
    Blog Entries
    You have a very nice house and lovely views.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    You have a very nice house and lovely views.
    Doesn’t he just! Great to see someone respecting the style of house and location. So sympathetically

Well done 👍🏼

Master
    Doesn’t he just! Great to see someone respecting the style of house and location. So sympathetically

Well done 👍🏼
    Thank you, when we had the single storey extension done about ten years ago we were going to have it built of oak, but the cost was frightening.
    So this was the next choice, we didn’t go for roughcast/pebbledash like the rest of the house as it’s a real pain to paint.
    We’ve actually discussed adding an upper level with a balcony from the bedroom, but I think we have enough to occupy us and the moment.

What a lovely place to sit and have dinner or just a cup of tea. And nowhere near a city. Even better.

Sorry for not responding sooner…thanks for showing up pics… stunning. The tri aspect doors/windows make the most of the all round views. Perfect.

That is a cracking view for sure

Master
    Great pix of the fantastic views.
    Thank you for sharing..

Master
    Whilst the roof is continuing, I am trying to decide the best insulation, or at least, the best method of insulating the roof space.
    I'll add some pics to try and explain what I'm talking about, but basically the roof is semi-vaulted so has a flat section in the middle with quite a gap to the apex.
    I was thinking of using celotex to insulate the lower pitched section and them rockwool, ( or similar product ), to insulate the horizontal section, my question is, would it be as effective if I were to lay the rockwool across the top of the beams rather than cut and fit it in between them.
    First pic shows where I'm intending to fit the celotex

Second pic is where the rockwool would go

Master
    I would fill between the beans as well as over them with the rock wool. You can get it in narrow rolls so it just rolls out between joists, though your beams may well be non standard spacing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I would fill between the beans as well as over them with the rock wool. You can get it in narrow rolls so it just rolls out between joists, though your beams may well be non standard spacing
    That’s probably what I’ll do👍

Master
    Always nice to see the slates going on, just hope this weather improves a little.

Looking very nice, I remember the views when we met all those years ago to part you from the Z3M...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Looking very nice, I remember the views when we met all those years ago to part you from the Z3M...
    Blimey, that must be about 12 years ago? still wish I'd kept it, but you can't keep them all.
    Quite a bit has changed here since then, views are even better now we've acquired the field next to us and removed a few trees etc.

thats one hell of a 'garage' , everytime i see threads like this i feel like more of a peasant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    thats one hell of a 'garage' , everytime i see threads like this i feel like more of a peasant.
    It’s also frightening every time you put an order in with the builder’s merchant and you look at the total.🙈

Master
    I sense and Air BnB coming on.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I sense and Air BnB coming on.........
    Under strict instructions that it’s not going to be😂

envious of that garage, what cars are going in it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    envious of that garage, what cars are going in it?
    Watch this space!!

Craftsman
    I gave a few tips earlier in this thread. Stand by for another one ..
    if you have a cavity build , keep it brick on both sides . I did concrete block on the lower level and brick on the ( smallish ) upper games room . The garage part is painted white but the brick looks so much better and doesn’t have the scuffs the white wall has .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    One side done

First fix electrics went in yesterday, ready for me to insulate and plasterboard

Master
    Roof now completed and insulation in, just need to fit between joists as we fit the plasterboard.

It’s looking great ,but can I just ask how often the builders are there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    It’s looking great ,but can I just ask how often the builders are there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Different people are doing different aspects of the build, they’re on a labour only rate with me supplying materials.
    They are all super busy and with the weather that we’ve been having they sometimes dive onto other jobs they have booked in.
    I’m not worried about the wait as the standard is really high.

Master
    scaffold came down at the weekend and I managed to fit the last of the rockwool between the joists and fit a bit more plasterboard, the rest will go up at the weekend, then it's ready for the plasterer.
    The exterior cedar cladding has started going on, just waiting for the stonework to be built up a bit higher on one end to run the cladding into it, ( the scaffold was in the way ).

And as if that wasn't enough to be going on with, we decided to have some more porcelain slabs laid, steps from the the patio by the house to the new area at the bottom of the garden to catch the evening sun, then I'll get on with the water feature that I've already dug out at the bottom of the steps.

Master
    Nice. I have garage envy now. My brick built single garage sitting on a cracked concrete pad is on its very last legs. Not relishing the replacement dilemmas, particularly due to the proximity to neighbour’s garages.

Master
    Latest pics, plasterers have just finished the ceiling, will hopefully get it painted next week ready for the doors to be fitted
    Both ends all clad in cedar and guttering on, downpipes are temp fitted and will be altered accordingly when driveway is done.
    After this it's time for second fix electrics inside and out.
    Was going to paint the walls as well but have decided to leave the block showing, it's all nicely pointed and with the metal conduit I think it will look nice and industrial.
    Probably just paint the floor for now and see how it goes.

Master
    Bloody lovely that build, wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok im pretty sure you are trying to sneak a small bungalow build under the guise of a 'garage' :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ok im pretty sure you are trying to sneak a small bungalow build under the guise of a 'garage' :)
    I wanted to make sure if she threw me out of the main house I’d have somewhere to move in to 🙈😂

Blog Entries
    Fascinating thread, thank you for sharing!