closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a hybrid - BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE

Master

Buying a hybrid - BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE

Buying a new hybrid and it’s going to be either X5 or GLE.
    Anyone have any experience on them.
    Planning on buying it fully loaded.
    Which would you buy?

X5 charging is slower but sportier/more fun to drive.
    Any feedback is welcomed.

Craftsman
    My brother is on his second X5 hybrid and he is a total convert. He has an iPace as the other car that he and his partner share but he does long-distance and motorway stuff in the X5. Great range on electric only means it's good for a several days of local running around between charges and the tech works really well. Economy on a long run is mind-bogglingly good with the electric/ICE being used to the max. Only downside which they may have now solved is tediously slow battery charging. If you haven't seen it, watch Harrys Garage review - he really rates it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs T-7 had the X5 a few years ago....2016 model. On full electric it had a range of 19 miles on a full charge. I'd hope that's improved

Personally, unless it is a company car and you want a hybrid to reduce your tax burden then there is no real point in buying a hybrid. They tend to be badly compromised in my experience. Usually the range is pretty pointless, you lose a lot of boot space and the fuel tank is tiny so you spend even more time at the pump!

You need at least a real life range of 100 miles just to deal with short trips to the shops/school run etc on electric only.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Personally, unless it is a company car and you want a hybrid to reduce your tax burden then there is no real point in buying a hybrid. They tend to be badly compromised in my experience. Usually the range is pretty pointless, you lose a lot of boot space and the fuel tank is tiny so you spend even more time at the pump!

You need at least a real life range of 100 miles just to deal with short trips to the shops/school run etc on electric only.
    100 miles would last me at least two weeks 🤣

Master
    I test drove the x5 recently and it was superb, so much so I didn’t buy one and went for an iX.

Much talk on the EV forums of the BMW being available with a faster charger feature now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mrs T-7 had the X5 a few years ago....2016 model. On full electric it had a range of 19 miles on a full charge. I'd hope that's improved
    We've just bought the X5 diesel, sadly we wanted to run with the hybrid but were told 40 miles was the range, test drive was impressive though. They don't do a diesel hybrid, only petrol and with towing, long distance journeys it was sadly a no. Regards the X5, a lovely car

We did test drive the GLE, but thought the X5 was a step up in refinement

Master
    Blog Entries
    Go to Harry’s Garage on You Tube he does an in-depth review of the X5 hybrid he really rated it.
    Last edited by hilly10; 28th October 2022 at 22:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

I had a Lexus rx400h from 2007, it’d leave its contemporary diesel suvs of a similar vintage in the dust on acceleration and would give 42mpg if you drove it sensibly. Compared to mid to low 20s of its contemporaries.
    The wife now has a Tucson PHEV, it’s averaging around 80mpg and her first tank full lasted 570 miles, cost 45 quid to fill and that was a mix of local and long distance.
    She does 2-3 days between plug ins on her daily commute.
    I’d say far from being pointless, hybrids suit certain use cases and driving styles.

Journeyman
    I have a 2021 X5 45e and I have to say that it's the best car I have ever had.

It's not the fastest or most powerful but it has more than enough umph to keep you smiling (I came from an M5) The inside is a phenomenally nice place to be - much nicer and finished to a far higher standard than the latest range rovers.

It's run though the company so the BIK element is great and I get an honest 50 miles per charge of mainly motorway use.

Take one out for a test - it will knock the socks off a GLE.

Just make sure you get one with a heads up display and the comfort pack for the extended leather and lovely seats!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just watched the Harry’s Garage episodes and I think I’m sold on X5.
    Thank you all for your feedback/experiences!

Blog Entries
    We have a 2021 GLE 350de, to be honest I don’t really like it. It’s slow, gutless and the charge last about 30 miles, it weighs loads more than a standard diesel so the pretty average mpg is even more shite because of all the extra weight you are carrying around!! The ride is crashy and it has some so called ‘safety’ features that you can’t turn off permanently that drive me round the bend, I much preferred the Q7 it replaced in all honesty.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    We have a 2021 GLE 350de, to be honest I don’t really like it. It’s slow, gutless and the charge last about 30 miles, it weighs loads more than a standard diesel so the pretty average mpg is even more shite because of all the extra weight you are carrying around!! The ride is crashy and it has some so called ‘safety’ features that you can’t turn off permanently that drive me round the bend, I much preferred the Q7 it replaced in all honesty.
    We looked at this one as well, similar thoughts, only thing going for it was a very nice interior

Master
    Recently purchased a 4x4 hybrid. Never have seen the appeal before, also having a full electic car. However, having has it a little while now, I am thoroughly impressed.

A real world electric range of 55 miles in mixed driving means that majority of journeys including the work commute can be dealt with, without a drop of fuel. (Headline range was 70 miles, but by the time you upgrade the wheels, add a spare tyre, etc. the range in your model may be lower, mine is 55 and that is spot on what I get)

Also gives the flexibility of longer journeys with stops for charge, or just driving in 'hybrid' mode and making a use of a blend of fuel and battery. Realy helpful for the mpg, vs. a fully ICE car and at the same time removes the downside of queuing for charging points (in a non-Tesla anyway).

I definitely am a fan of fully electric, but I feel this hybrid approach can work well for a few years until the infrastructure is improved further. I still would think twice about taking the fully electric car on a long return journey with family on board, especially now that the supercharging rates are so prohbitively expensive. It would probably work out cheaper now to use an ICE car if you have to charge en route (although I haven't done the maths) or indeed a hybrid with battery charged from home.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Just watched the Harry’s Garage episodes and I think I’m sold on X5.
    Thank you all for your feedback/experiences!
    Hope Harry is suitably looked after by BMW, it was that review that resulted in my order!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    We've just bought the X5 diesel, sadly we wanted to run with the hybrid but were told 40 miles was the range, test drive was impressive though. They don't do a diesel hybrid, only petrol and with towing, long distance journeys it was sadly a no. Regards the X5, a lovely car

We did test drive the GLE, but thought the X5 was a step up in refinement
    Ditto.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Recently purchased a 4x4 hybrid. Never have seen the appeal before, also having a full electic car. However, having has it a little while now, I am thoroughly impressed.

A real world electric range of 55 miles in mixed driving means that majority of journeys including the work commute can be dealt with, without a drop of fuel. (Headline range was 70 miles, but by the time you upgrade the wheels, add a spare tyre, etc. the range in your model may be lower, mine is 55 and that is spot on what I get)

Also gives the flexibility of longer journeys with stops for charge, or just driving in 'hybrid' mode and making a use of a blend of fuel and battery. Realy helpful for the mpg, vs. a fully ICE car and at the same time removes the downside of queuing for charging points (in a non-Tesla anyway).

I definitely am a fan of fully electric, but I feel this hybrid approach can work well for a few years until the infrastructure is improved further. I still would think twice about taking the fully electric car on a long return journey with family on board, especially now that the supercharging rates are so prohbitively expensive. It would probably work out cheaper now to use an ICE car if you have to charge en route (although I haven't done the maths) or indeed a hybrid with battery charged from home.
    RRS? If so I’m contemplating swapping my X5 in for the p440e…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Here it is!