closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ev car / van charger choice ?

Ev car / van charger choice ?

Any opinions or advice on which is better ?
    Been offered a choice to install for my upcoming I d buzz.

A solo universal charger
    Or a cabled tethered charger ?

Craftsman
    I have the tethered solo 3 and wouldn’t switch, cable neatly wraps around the charger.

Getting the cable in and out of the car / van isn’t worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I have the tethered solo 3 and wouldn’t switch, cable neatly wraps around the charger.

Getting the cable in and out of the car / van isn’t worth the hassle.

I have a tethered Tesla charger. Makes everything much easier.

The cable stays in the car for on the move charging and is a pain to uncoil and recoil each time! A minor hassle but still a hassle

I would only go tethered for home.

I'm ordering a charger this week and will get the new Simpson and Partners tethered unit. Too much colour choice though, if there was just one or two choices I would have ordered it by now.

Master
    I have a Myenergi Zappi and as its a "smart" charger with an App, I can connect my Solar Panels and Battery to the App also. This lets me see what is going on all in one place, which I find handy.

My Charger is Tethered but I must admit the cable gets dirty and wet so when you wrap it back round the charger your hands get dirty. I suppose the same thing would happen if you were sticking the cable in the car too.

Also with the tethered one. What if the cable get damaged / faulty ?

Can't you leave an untethered one attached so as good as tethered but can take away occasionally if required?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can't you leave an untethered one attached so as good as tethered but can take away occasionally if required?
    Good call. Suppose ya could. ?
    I’m totally new to ev car charging So maybe wrong
    Do all cars have universal socket type of thing so cable can charge any make or model ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I have an Easee home charger. You can lock a cable in to the box. If you want to unlock it again it takes seconds on the phone App. 99% of the time I leave it locked so it is effectively a tethered lead. Cannot fault it in the year I have had it. I have heard good things about Zappi and Pod Point too.

At the end of the day it seems like it is horses for courses.

No one way has any great benefits over the other. It will come down to what is your preference!

Craftsman
    I have a tethered My Energi Zappi. I have been happy with my choice, the app works well and I'm glad I went tethered.
    As already said as a smart charger it can connect to batteries and solar and doesn't need an earth rod.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Also with the tethered one. What if the cable get damaged / faulty ?
    Failure to the cable (unless accidental damage) would be covered by the 3 year warranty, this can be extended to 5 years for £69 which I think is worth considering anyway.

Master
    I’ve currently got a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, a very small unit with all the protections built in, so no need for an earth rod. The App is pretty good as well, connects via WiFi or Bluetooth directly, so no reliance on a cloud server should the company ever go belly up. The App keeps track of your spend on charging, and can be set to arrange schedules or only charge during off peak periods etc. it’s also fully compliant with the current ‘smart charger’ regs.

It’s a tethered unit, if the cable gets damaged you can open the unit and wire in a new tethered lead and plug.

I also have a 32A commando socket, and sometimes use an Ohme ‘smart’ cable, but only when for whatever reason we need to charge both of our EVs overnight for long journeys the next day, which isn’t often.

Most new EVs use Type 2 sockets/plugs for AC (at home) charging, which is the EU standard so not an issue nowadays.
    Last edited by Tooks; 28th October 2022 at 16:10.

Craftsman
    Another shout for the Zappi, I have an untethered version - most of the time I just leave a 10m type 2 cable plugged into it (which is locked into place by the Zappi). If the cable dies or someone for whatever reason might want to charge using a different cable (which admittedly is less likely to be an issue with type 2 + CCS being the standard) then it's easy to pop the cable out.

Craftsman

Ev car / van charger choice ?

As I understand it, the OP has been given a free PodPoint Installation from the dealer with the VW Buzz and is wondering whether to go for a Tethered or Universal model and not a recommendation on another brand of charger

Don't suppose you could use the untethered as tethered most of the time - wrap it around and hang up the other end. Just take it with you if you'll need it elsewhere occasionally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    As I understand it, the OP has been given a free PodPoint Installation from the dealer with the VW Buzz and is wondering whether to go for a Tethered or Universal model and not a recommendation on another brand of charger
    Yes, you’re right! 😂

I’d always go for the tethered option then, keep the Type 2 to Type 2 cable in the boot of the car ready for any public charging.

Tethered cables are replaceable, doesn’t trash the whole charge point if they get damaged.