closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW Warranty or better elsewhere

Master

BMW Warranty or better elsewhere

Afternoon all,

I have recently purchased a BMW m4 69 plate and the manufacture warranty expires in a couple of months and Im keen to extend it but wonder of any one has done this in the past and how comprehensive it is and/or if there are better options available -0 Warranty wise maybe??????

From what I can gather there are 3 types via BMW
    Comprehensive - mechanical & electrical Circa £1300
    Named component - Mechanical Circa £1000
    Driveline - Up to £5,000 Circa £750

add roadside for around another £100

Warranty Wise is sub £200 less for a like foir like

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 20th October 2022 at 15:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    May be worth a read https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/cheap-car-warranties/#

I've always gone down the 'renewing the manufacturer warranty' route (or not bothered at all and taken the risk) but 3rd party warranties might offer another option.

Master
    I'd take the bmw warranty or nothing. It's easy when something goes wrong. No calls to 3rd parties, arguments etc.

The BMW warranty is well thought of and any subsequent buyer will also be able to extend it, which is a big selling point, especially with a car like an M4.

You can also pay it monthly.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the full BMW warranty.

On most occasions, I believe issues can be repaired for less than the cost of the equivalent warranty work but at the end of the day you pay for piece of mind.

Craftsman
    Both my Bmw's are covered by the extended warranty. It's peace of mind thats worth having and is worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
    There was a massive thread on PistonHeads a while back about a 3rd party warranty provider refusing a claim for a replacement engine on an M5. It sounded like a horrific, stressfull experience for the owner, and IIRC he had to go down the litigation route.
    The BMW exrended approved warranties I have are both comprehensive, and pretty much cover everything inc wear and tear which is what a lot or 3rd party companies use to get out of paying out.

Master
    Whilst £1300 ain't cheap, it's a c£35k car on which repairs could be very expensive. I'd see it as decent value peace of mind and adding a little to its resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Whilst £1300 ain't cheap, it's a c£35k car on which repairs could be very expensive. I'd see it as decent value peace of mind and adding a little to its resale value.
    I agree with this

Master
    Blog Entries
    the turbo went on my old 320, it had a third party ‘gold’ warranty- they wanted to fit a refurbed turbo from Daves Turbos somewhere in Essex and didn’t want to pay the rate of my local garage (they are reasonable), I was lucky that I knew the dealer who had a word and got things sorted out as you would expect them to be.
    I have just invested £35k in a BMW, I will extend their warranty in a years time.

We went with the BMW warranty this time around and will be extending it again when it's up for renewal.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I’d be worried that claiming on a third party warranty would be a problem either with eligibility or quality. BMW or nothing for me.

Master
    Many thanks for all the comments and confirming my thoughts I’ll be extending via bmw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on my 3rd annual renewal for my BMW. About 2 and a half years into the manufacturer's warranty, the Sat Nav system went US, which they replaced so, the annual cost , which isn't quite M4 level cost, I think is worth the peace of mind.

I’ve always had BMW warranties, if anything goes wrong I give them the keys and pick the car up a few days later.

A couple of years back I picked up a Range Rover which had some funky car care plan warranty, but not an official Land Rover one. The two claims I had to make were like pulling teeth, an absolute nightmare.

On my latest car I’m back to a full manufacturer warranty and back to the easy life.

Lesson learned. Would not go down a third party warranty route, under any circumstances, with any car, ever again. Most of what you read about third party warranties online is true, and more.

In short, get the BMW warranty!

Craftsman
    Having owned several BMWs and required the warranty on more than one occasion, no brainier for me get the BMW one

Master
    Two further thoughts:

If the mileage is likely to tick over the 60k mark over the next 12 months, take out the monthly payment option as they often don't change the premium for some time but the annual sum jumps a LOT straight away

See if they still offer an option with excess. It can reduce the cost a fair bit whilst you'd still be happy to pay the excess if it was a big ticket item.

Blog Entries
    We had a company car BWM 320D ede in 2012, 13. The car became sluggish after 3.5 yrs, 80K miles. Particulate filter? No. The brakes. New disks, new blocks. The bill was for the company, we didn't have to pay it. But it was a 3000 euro ex vat bill. (Prices 10 yrs ago). Is that covered by any insurance/warranty extension? I don't know!

Second problem was failure of the center console knob that operates the radio etc. BMW couldn't find the fault. A complete new center console didn't solve the problem. The car was in the workshop for 3 weeks! In the end, they found the problem. There's a thick wire that runs from the boot to the center console. Apparently, the hardware for the center console sits in the boot. The wire was kinked (factory fault). Again, the company picked up the bill. Which was 4k!!!

So yes, I would have no problem forking out the 1300 gbp. But be sure to find out if all's covered.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We had a company car BWM 320D ede in 2012, 13. The car became sluggish after 3.5 yrs, 80K miles. Particulate filter? No. The brakes. New disks, new blocks. The bill was for the company, we didn't have to pay it. But it was a 3000 euro ex vat bill. (Prices 10 yrs ago). Is that covered by any insurance/warranty extension? I don't know!
    What? The car was sluggish and the brakes were to blame?
    The replacement disks and pads cost €3000? And these consumable parts, having covered 80k miles, were covered by the warranty?
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 20th October 2022 at 23:10.

Journeyman
    Stick with the BMW warranty - less fuss!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    What? The car was sluggish and the brakes were to blame?
    The replacement disks and pads cost €3000? And these consumable parts, having covered 80k miles, were covered by the warranty?
    Indeed... I know enough about cars (read my posts about restoring classic cars) to doubt this. But the 3K ex VAT bill was presented to the lease company that had provided us the car and they paid the full sum. Point is that in most warranty schemes these consumables are left out! I'm almost certain that it was the filter. But that they lied by telling this 'brakes & pads story' to me, on the bill and to the lease company.

Craftsman
    Always go for BMW Warranty and the rolling direct debit option

Another vote for the BMW warranty. For my car it’s around £520 a year, comp with £100 excess. I get it for peace of mind as when it goes wrong it can go wrong big time.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Indeed... I know enough about cars (read my posts about restoring classic cars) to doubt this. But the 3K ex VAT bill was presented to the lease company that had provided us the car and they paid the full sum. Point is that in most warranty schemes these consumables are left out! I'm almost certain that it was the filter. But that they lied by telling this 'brakes & pads story' to me, on the bill and to the lease company.
    Christ, someone was on the take there!

Master
    £1300 for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    £1300 for how long?
    I'm guessing that's per annum ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'm guessing that's per annum ?
    Wow, I think I'd rather take my chances.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Wow, I think I'd rather take my chances.
    An M4 is a extremely complex car, couple that with service rates that I assume are now well north of £130/h & you don’t need much to make you ahead. I’d be very weary of self insuring one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    £130/h.
    And the rest. You can double that inside the M25

Master
    I extended the manufacturer warranty on my old honda twice think it was £400, all the aftermarket warrantys I've had over the years were basically a con when you had to make a claim

Do it I owned the same model f82 and trust me if you end up needing a new engine or gearbox it will be a huge hit. Take the bmw warranty and sleep easy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Here’s the quote
    So we’re saying comprehensive I’m assuming the roadside assistance is a no brainer

And someone said pay monthly which doesn’t make sense to me as I’d rather pay annually and save a few quid unless I’ve missed something?

Surely its worth while selecting to pay £250 excess also?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Surely its worth while selecting to pay £250 excess also?
    I went pay in one plus £250 excess.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Consider if you have roadside assistance elsewhere - bank account for example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

Here’s the quote
    So we’re saying comprehensive I’m assuming the roadside assistance is a no brainer

And someone said pay monthly which doesn’t make sense to me as I’d rather pay annually and save a few quid unless I’ve missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Two further thoughts:

If the mileage is likely to tick over the 60k mark over the next 12 months, take out the monthly payment option as they often don't change the premium for some time but the annual sum jumps a LOT straight away

See if they still offer an option with excess. It can reduce the cost a fair bit whilst you'd still be happy to pay the excess if it was a big ticket item.

Master
    Thanks again to the TZ community for the feedback

Comprehensive annual cover with £250 excess £793 appears to tick all the boxes (car is only on 33k)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Thanks again to the TZ community for the feedback

Comprehensive annual cover with £250 excess £793 appears to tick all the boxes (car is only on 33k)
    That’s what I have on mine, haven’t had to claim on it yet touch wood but the service advisor where I get my servicing done said the comprehensive was pretty much no quibble so long as there aren’t any modifications to the car.