closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer priced not to sell?

Explorer priced not to sell?

Pre-owned in the window of WOS Cardiff. Please tell me if I’ve missed something or maybe it’s been deliberately priced not to sell (unless they are charging extra for the fingerprints).

Craftsman
    Tried this on yesterday along with the two tone new model. Was told the discontinued nature is driving the price....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I saw this on instagram yesterday 39mm 2018 model for 7750

I've not bought from James but he seems to have a good reputation

https://kibblewatches.co.uk/collecti...ued-mk2-214270

Master
    I got a bloody great advert over half of the pic so I am at a slight disadvantage here.

I have a 2014 version of the 214270 which was replaced by the 2016 model with the same model number. The first model had slightly short hands (that I don't worry about) and the 3,6 and 9 numerals were solid white gold which did not match the batons. It gave the dial a bit more bling and Explorer owners tend to prefer the more sober look of the second model.

The discontinuation of the model has pushed the prices up and to date the later style is still priced higher than the first style.

I sometimes wonder if the first style will show increases in the longer term because any Rolex that was sold in low numbers with a short time span always seems to do well on the grounds of rarity.

If I was allowed to only own one watch it would be the second version of the 214270, it is just Rolex at its best.

Their pre-owned stuff is usually pretty expensive but comes with service stickers and an extra warranty. Must go through their in house Rolex accredited workshop.

Too expensive for me (they even had an old WG blue Sub for about £54k recently) but someone must be buying. No idea who though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Their pre-owned stuff is usually pretty expensive but comes with service stickers and an extra warranty. Must go through their in house Rolex accredited workshop.

Too expensive for me (they even had an old WG blue Sub for about £54k recently) but someone must be buying. No idea who though.
    I no longer monitor prices as I am unlikely to buy any more of anything. However this price did seem a bit ambitious. I would imagine this could be haggled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I got a bloody great advert over half of the pic so I am at a slight disadvantage here.

I have a 2014 version of the 214270 which was replaced by the 2016 model with the same model number. The first model had slightly short hands (that I don't worry about) and the 3,6 and 9 numerals were solid white gold which did not match the batons. It gave the dial a bit more bling and Explorer owners tend to prefer the more sober look of the second model.

The discontinuation of the model has pushed the prices up and to date the later style is still priced higher than the first style.

I sometimes wonder if the first style will show increases in the longer term because any Rolex that was sold in low numbers with a short time span always seems to do well on the grounds of rarity.

If I was allowed to only own one watch it would be the second version of the 214270, it is just Rolex at its best.
    Technically the 2nd version of the 214270 was around for less time than the first version. v1 had 6 years, v2 had 5 years. Can't speak for sales though, v2 may well have sold more units.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Technically the 2nd version of the 214270 was around for less time than the first version. v1 had 6 years, v2 had 5 years. Can't speak for sales though, v2 may well have sold more units.
    Yes I was told that the "cleaned up" second version sold a lot better. I was told that by the local AD but no volumes were mentioned.

V2 is a belter.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I bought a couple preowned from WOS group around 2016. Both had been sent by them to RSC for service, although not sure if they now do them in house.

As you say, invariably priced on the high side, so I no longer look.

No doubt I paid too much for a recently RSC serviced 14060M at the time - about £3,750 IIRC.

Not sure has this flys in their non profit on secondary market policy for Rolex?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app