closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Few spare hours in London …

Master
    Blog Entries

Few spare hours in London …

Went to my nieces graduation at Westminster Hall on Friday and had a couple of hours where I could sneak off for a bit of watch amusement.

First stop was the GS shop, I had expected to really like the 293 but whilst it was nice the watch wasn’t a legible enough for me.

This version is the same with a silver dial, really like this but maybe too dressy. Chap in the shop said it would soon be available on a bracelet.

Tried on this one too, really nice dial but too dressy and no water resistance.

Next took a stroll through the Burlington Arcade, eye popping window displays, there is no shortage of extremely wealthy people around to keep these shops ticking over.

Next stop was the IWC store, this was the 36mm pilot, was very classic. Bracelet was really “silky”. But this is an old model now and the last watch without an in house movement and maybe next to be upgraded.

Next I tried the Mark XX, again very nice, thought it would be too big but maybe I could live with it. Really like this and it is now probably what I’d like next. The Smiths Navigator is a gateway watch … wasn’t sure about the polished links, they are brushed on the 36.

Both together, look so different in size side by side.

Both shops the service was impeccable, not pushy at all and all the watches were in stock and available.

All in all a nice couple of hours browsing. When I met up with the wife she seemed surprised I didn’t have a box under my arm so maybe a missed opportunity.

Also managed to not get mugged for my watch which was a bonus.

Blog Entries
    The Mark XX looks great from here. Maybe you got the unconscious go-ahead from your wife?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Great review thanks, liking the IWC 36mm on your wrist

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The Maybe you got the unconscious go-ahead from your wife?
    That’s what I thought, although I’d never spend that much without consulting her.

That window full of Rolex is bonkers, some great watches in there though. I suppose if you have deep pockets it is good that there are shops like this that you can walk in and buy what you want without having to form a relationship first

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That window full of Rolex is bonkers, some great watches in there though. I suppose if you have deep pockets it is good that there are shops like this that you can walk in and buy what you want without having to form a relationship first
    That photo is probably about 25% of the window. Mind blowing. I estimated the window stocks to be about £4m. Plus what ever they had inside.

presume the one on the black strap is the watch you were wearing.. 36mm explorer? (reason i mention is, it looks good on that strap..)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    presume the one on the black strap is the watch you were wearing.. 36mm explorer? (reason i mention is, it looks good on that strap..)
    Yes, this is my watch on a JPM black strap.

This one. https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...32140930678855

free picture upload
    Last edited by Montello; 15th October 2022 at 21:24.

Really liked the look of that 36mm IWC, a brand I'm definitely guilty of overlooking.

Took a look on the IWC site, the case back would put me off this one a bit unfortunately (unless of course I was a pilot!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Really liked the look of that 36mm IWC, a brand I'm definitely guilty of overlooking.

Took a look on the IWC site, the case back would put me off this one a bit unfortunately (unless of course I was a pilot!).

I tried one one during the summer. I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the watch but the bracelet was fantastic. I wasn't bothered by the case back, but I do a little recreational flying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The IWCs are an odd mix of British and German influences which initially put me off but in the end I think maybe they have taken the best of both to create a good watch.

I have batten hands on the Smiths Navigator but maybe the IWCs work better.
    Last edited by Montello; 16th October 2022 at 08:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The IWCs are an odd mix of British and German influences which initially put me off but in the end I think maybe they have taken the best of both to create a good watch.

I have batten hands on the Smiths Navigator but maybe the IWCs work better.
    I suspect if the baton hands make a comeback it’ll be in the Spitfire range.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

I wouldn’t worry about that. The back of mine states that it’s ‘Flight Qualified By NASA’!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about that. The back of mine states that it’s ‘Flight Qualified By NASA’!
    Plenty of people who don’t work in submarines have a Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Plenty of people who don’t work in submarines have a Submariner.
    I suspect that the link between submarines and Submariners is far more tenuous than the other examples. I take it to reflect the fact that the Submariner is designed for underwater use, nothing more than that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I suspect that the link between submarines and Submariners is far more tenuous than the other examples. I take it to reflect the fact that the Submariner is designed for underwater use, nothing more than that.
    Probably. I’d be happy to wear either.