closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police warning - watch what you wear

Police warning - watch what you wear

Pretty sad state of affairs but if it helps someone from getting mugged I suppose its a good thing.

EDIT: TikTok link: link removed as it no longer links to the originally intended post.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by T1ckT0ck; 23rd June 2023 at 23:33.

Almost nothing to do with the police so far as I can see - it's sponsored by a watch auction site whose viral marketing campaign you've just assisted

That's London for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely flashing a 50K or 100K watch is asking for bother around LONDON!?

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Almost nothing to do with the police so far as I can see - it's sponsored by a watch auction site whose viral marketing campaign you've just assisted
    Sorry for offending you.

Unfortunately almost anything viewed or read online feeds into some sort of commercial activity directly or indirectly. The 90’s internet is well and truly behind us.

The billboards does state the data is provided by the met police, i guess in terms of the statistics and hotspots so at least it is based on something factual.

Last edited by T1ckT0ck; 15th October 2022 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Surely flashing a 50K or 100K watch is asking for bother around LONDON!?
    Fairly common to see TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Agreed. A classic example of "sell on pain."

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Sorry for offending you.

Unfortunately almost anything viewed or read online feeds into some sort of commercial activity directly or indirectly. The 90’s internet is well and truly behind us.

The billboards does state the data is provided by the met police, i guess in terms of the statistics and hotspots so at least it is based on something factual.
    Not remotely offended, just pedantically pointing out the facts - tactlessly, as ever...

Any comments from London based members ?
    Just interested to hear from anyone " on our manor" ...
    London "threats" have always been a great reason for avoiding it. Just be careful out there, and anywhere else.

London is fine, it's just a couple of obvious hotspots.

Blog Entries
    Never bothered me when I worked there. But did leave the city (W End, Mayfair) in 2019/20 so maybe different now? But used to regularly walk through Hyde Park, catch tube at Green Park / Victoria after a few jars - no issues
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th October 2022 at 23:56.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I'm in London a couple of days a week for work. I don't own a watch that's worth a mugger's time but I see lots of expensive watches on people's wrists. A non scientific survey of my office would find people wearing watches from Rolex, Panerai, Omega, IWC, Tudor, Bremont and Cartier and a large proportion of Apple watches. I've never heard some one say they were worried.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    London "threats" have always been a great reason for avoiding it. Just be careful out there, and anywhere else.
    I am a Londoner, I wear nice watches when I want to, I don’t cover them up, I have never had an issue.
    London is safe as long as you are sensible. Just like any other city. (Or maybe they don’t want to nick my cr@py watches).

Craftsman
    Remember "Be Safe - Go Casio"

Master
    Hand it over if threatened!? Maybe the add helps the thieves

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Sorry for offending you.

Your forum name probably doesn't help
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I’ve lived in London for almost 20 years and never been mugged for anything. People steal stuff they think they can make a quick profit on, used to be iPhones and now it’s watches but outside of a few high profile watches I wouldn’t worry about wearing one in london any more than anywhere else

Master
    It's Khanage!

Master

I’ve never worried about what I’m wearing in a central and other nice areas. I don’t wave them around in the street either, and wouldn’t choose something attention grabbing for a night out in a sketchy area. But generally speaking London is a very safe city if you stick to the pretty bits.

It does however occasionally have trends in some kind of crime which run their course until the police catch up with it. Kids on bicycles snatching phones from people who are paying zero attention to their surroundings is a current one, and it sounds like watches may be the latest one with a couple of incidents a day based on these articles:

https://www.watchpro.com/london-poli...of-2022/?amp=1

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-b1027101.html

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/london-
    mugging-mayfair-rolex-watch-police-b1027101.html

A worrying consequence of soaring prices and social media letting everyone know about them. It would be a pity if watches become too expensive to wear. But these crime trends are like any other trend, they tend not to last, and London isn’t the terrifying place some here imagine. Though I must admit, there are vast swathes of it I don’t bother going to.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 17th October 2022 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Kids on bicycles snatching phones from people who are paying zero attention to their surroundings is a current one
    People still steal phones? I sort of thought that was no longer a thing now, aren’t phones basically bricks if separated from the login credentials?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    People still steal phones? I sort of thought that was no longer a thing now, aren’t phones basically bricks if separated from the login credentials?
    I know, but apparently they still do, who knows what they do with them. Maybe if they grab them while they are in use they can change the settings or something?

A guy got 52 or 53 stitches to his face after being slashed in Bishopsgate the other week trying to help when someone's phone was being stolen.

I had no idea phones were still being stolen either but apparently they are.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A guy got 52 or 53 stitches to his face after being slashed in Bishopsgate the other week trying to help when someone's phone was being stolen.

I had no idea phones were still being stolen either but apparently they are.
    Three stabbed in that incident.

Two men and a woman arrested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Three stabbed in that incident.

Two men and a woman arrested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Insanity. And if it really was over a phone even worse.

Journeyman
    Not if you know what you are doing and get in quickly.

They can bar devices from the network completely, but operators are loathed to do that usually and I think even that can be got round nowadays with a spoofed ID.

But that all takes a while, and by then it's sold in a pub or market stall and that's the new owners problem

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

I would have thought stealing phones was like ‘taking candy from a baby’. When I’m out running or walking, the number of phone zombies who have no idea of their surroundings, what’s in front of them and by holding the phone out in front of them, I could come home with half a dozen each time I go out. No violence, just idiots who cannot take their eyes off their phones.

I’ve lived in London for 50 years and have never given any thought to moderating the watch I wear based on living here. I’ll admit I don’t frequent particularly unpleasant areas, but I’ve never felt the need to hide what I’m wearing. I own one Rolex, 3 Breitlings and a number of other decent watches and have never felt remotely threatened.

Simon

I am loath to tempt fate, to be honest - but I agree with Mycroft; I don’t especially spend time in dodgy areas, and I do my best to remain alert and aware of my surroundings.

The only time I’ve felt nervous was on the Tube - a bloke commented on my Planet Ocean. He turned out to be another enthusiast who’d just picked up a Globemaster, but I was a bit twitchy when he remarked “nice watch mate”…

I don’t think these crimes take place in dodgy areas, they tend to take place in the nice ‘safe’areas. I just wear a Garmin these days.

yeah its not about 'dodgy areas', thieves target mayfair restaurants etc. theres tons of coverage of this.
    i generally wear a tudor these days, mostly because i like it but the thought of being mugged is in the back of my mind somewhere. its just a bit more under the radar.
    Last edited by robinsongreen68; 18th October 2022 at 10:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I don’t think these crimes take place in dodgy areas, they tend to take place in the nice ‘safe’areas. I just wear a Garmin these days.
    That's what's unusual about it, generally London feels safe and I'd only be cautious in a dodgy area I don't know at night, and have never had any trouble. But it seems in this case there are incursions into normally safe areas. Judging by the numbers, this 'crime wave' comes down to a small number people who will get caught sooner or later, as it attracts too much attention. Much the same as the wave of central London smash and grab watch shop robberies a while back. It's wrong to conclude London is generally a dangerous place though, this is unusual. I must admit I gave up having a bicycle or scooter though, they don't last long.

Of course you have to compare population density when comparing crime, especially "That London".

A quick google shows:-

Greater London is getting on for 9 million people.

Greater Manchester for instance is less than 3 million.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear Seiko or Panerai in London. Less on the radar.
    I'm usually there for work which is a target though so I'm more cautious than I would usually be if I was in a city.
    Normally I dont care because I wear long sleeves and my watches are rarely seen.

Craftsman
    I live outside of London but have worked in central london for the last 20 years. Over the last 5 years I have been very conscience of the dangers of wearing an expensive watch and of being a phone zombie, I’m less worried about loosing my phone but my watches are more valuable and sentimental to me. To the point today, I am more likely to wear my Apple Watch.

Master
    Last edited by J J Carter; 29th January 2023 at 09:43.

Mmmm the daily mail, not exactly a bastion of truth, I’ll check elsewhere.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I worked in Westminster from 2018-2020 and initially would have no mental worries wearing anything in the tube or walking around with sort sleeves but remember hearing the story of the attack outside Harrods and started wearing my cheaper stuff simply because I didn't want the stress.

F91W for the win!

If my watch induced even a pico-unit of stress, it wouldn’t be on my wrist….

Master
    What about wearing a JLC Reverso, so you need only flip the mechanism over and then it's only a lump of metal on display.

Master
    South west London robberies sees gang of six jailed

A group of men who committed a series of knifepoint robberies in south west London have been jailed for more than 24 years. The group used a stolen BMW on false plates to carry out their crimes, in each case threatening the victims with a large knife or machete before stealing items including watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What about wearing a JLC Reverso, so you need only flip the mechanism over and then it's only a lump of metal on display.
    The trouble with that is that there aren't too many low end reverso-style watches so everyone will know what it is anyway.

How come, when I click the link on the opening post, it takes me to a Tik Tok abut some young girl talking about her bras and how long she wears them for? I get nothing about watches or a Police public safety broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    How come, when I click the link on the opening post, it takes me to a Tik Tok abut some young girl talking about her bras and how long she wears them for? I get nothing about watches or a Police public safety broadcast.
    internet algorithms can be weird like that..

Master
    Think it’s based on your browsing history.

Based on this I have removed the original link as it longer goes to the intended video.

Master
    Aled Jones has £17k Rolex robbed by machete-wielding teenager

The Welsh singer and television presenter was targeted in broad daylight while walking in Chiswick, West London, with his son Lucas, 18, earlier this month.

Mr Jones, who was reportedly left “shaken” by the encounter, was unharmed after handing over his Rolex Daytona and called police who later arrested a teenage boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Aled Jones has £17k Rolex robbed by machete-wielding teenager

The Welsh singer and television presenter was targeted in broad daylight while walking in Chiswick, West London, with his son Lucas, 18, earlier this month.

Mr Jones, who was reportedly left “shaken” by the encounter, was unharmed after handing over his Rolex Daytona and called police who later arrested a teenage boy.
    Daytona for 17K? I guess that’s MRP
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

How come, when I click the link on the opening post, it takes me to a Tik Tok abut some young girl talking about her bras and how long she wears them for? I get a Police pubic safety broadcast.
    Fixed that for you.

Try living in north Manchester.
    I have to ensure that my Seiko 5 is concealed beneath my cuff.

friend staying with me had her phone ripped from her hand while on a bike at some lights in camden. can't imagine they'd ignore a rollie on her wrist, had there been one. london does feel pretty rough atm.