closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bremont H1 Generation

Bremont H1 Generation

Three new watches now live. I’m sure the irrational haters will be scrambling around desperately trying to come up with reasons to hate them but, IMO, they’ve nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I like the middle "Fury". But for me I can't quite get on with the lug shape. Good to see the price drop from their initial offering with the LE with the in house manufactured movement. Good to see a British watch manufacturer in the watch business.

The size is spot on.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I watched the live stream. The top one is very much like an asymmetrical Nautilus with a Royal Oak style bracelet. It’s attractive though. I’d be happy with both the pilot and dress designs.

These are some of the better sorted designs from Bremont in a long time. Generally I find there’s some design facet or other that I don’t like and it puts me off the watches. But sword hands on the pilot and dauphine hands on the dress watch work for me. Maybe they’ve finally had their fill of cathedral style hands. Here’s hoping…

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the integrated model, however, the bracelet is a bit too close to the RO given the overall design IMO.
    I like the other two but would like to see the lower in the colour way of the middle one.
    Overall, I like them- I haven’t seen the price but I’m sure I won’t like them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I like the integrated model, however, the bracelet is a bit too close to the RO given the overall design IMO.
    I like the other two but would like to see the lower in the colour way of the middle one.
    Overall, I like them- I haven’t seen the price but I’m sure I won’t like them.
    £7995

Bremont H1 Generation

Some more images. Prices start at £5,995 for the Fury and Audley rising to £7,995 for the integrated Supernova. All 40mm and with a choice of dial colours. Those above costs ignore the gold case models of course!

I think those prices are pretty fair when you have B&R charging £4,300 for a BR05 for a base SW movement and Zenith Defies start around the 8k mark with their Elite movement.

Last edited by paw3001; 13th October 2022 at 21:48.

Master
    It’s great you can now get their manufacture movement for half the price it was in the previous special edition. The Fury and Audley, designs 2 and 3, are very Bremont. The first design, supernova - diabolical in my opinion. We all know what they’re doing and I don’t think it’s even executed that well.

I love my MB3 and the other Bremonts I’ve had, and I was excited about this upcoming launch but it really doesn’t fit what I thought the brand was or wanted to be.

I just can’t get along with these or many of their offerings for years. They used to have a really simple tool watch style and they’ve been diluting that for a while to the point where I’m not sure what they are anymore. Bit of vintage here and there, bit of dress and too much in the range. They also seem to consistently get the hands wrong for me.

This isn’t a Bremont bash, my MB2 is my favourite watch by a mile and has been worn most days for years so I’m always open to what they are offering. I also think the investment in manufacturing should be applauded. I’m not not seeing much I like other than the older models unfortunately.

I agree on the pricing - it's good the new movement is becoming more affordable. And being Bremont, they'll almost certainly be available with 15-20% off in future. However I'm really not sure about the integrated bracelet model - I really don't think the style of hands looks right. I'd need to see how the profile of the case looks on the wrist too - the lug end of the case looks thick and the construction might make it look like the watch is hovering a distance above the wrist on top of the barrel. And the bracelet is way too close to the one it's inspired by. The other two designs are a lot like other Bremonts and for me, lack personality. I wish Bremont would come out with a slightly smaller version of the MBII with the new movement - still their best design IMO.
    Last edited by TH14TH14; 13th October 2022 at 21:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I take back my comment in price- £6K is not bad in todays market.

Like the 'Supernova', but feel they've painted themselves into a corner with the integrated bracelet - looks nice, but I'd personally prefer a design that allows it to be worn with any kind of strap.

Using hardened steel only on the bezel is a bit of a let-down at the price, too, but still more than all the big names can muster.

Nice though, and for me at least there's a sense of a design language creeping through, though not as clear as others manage.

I so wanted these to be great looking. But for me I’m not a fan. Power reserve looks an after thought. Date window on all 3 models looks off.

They’ve lost their tool watch vibe, and core design elements. Too much change on model design over the years.

For me a smaller Solo (40mm) with this movement, or MBII would be a home run.

Price point good for what they’ve are achieving. Design wise - fail.

One only has too look at Nomos and what they’ve achieved in the same amount of time. Cohesive design language, modern classics & also great prices.

I like the 2nd and 3rd one a lot. The 1st one with integrated bracelet surely will lose out in sales to the similarly priced but far superior Zenith Skyline.

On the whole I really like them. The Supernova with the blue face is a winner for me. Yes, of course, we all know where the design is taking inspiration from but we also know that for the majority of people, getting hold of one of those watches with a similar style is almost impossible yet here we have a watch that is attainable and competitively priced. I love the bracelet as well.

The Fury I think is classic Bremont. Probably the one that will appeal the most out of the three simply due to it's practical design, changeable strap and discrete style.

The Audley I think might be a slow burner. The stainless steel version is a really nice dress watch but I'm not sure about it's day to day practicality. The rose gold version just doesn't do it for me at all. A sort of modern look with vintage twist maybe?

What I do find most interesting however seems to have been largely ignored and it's the H1 element. The H1 is all about the in house testing. Forget about COSC, put ISO to one side. Bremont have decided to do in house testing using their own specifications based I believe around the ISO testing but with a more stringent testing protocol. On the face of it that sounds amazing, a manufacturer having ultimate control over the quality standards of their watches. Of course, on the flip side, how easy is it for a manufacturer to self regulate?

I like them especially the Fury.
    But I wonder why they didn't keep the same oversized date on it as with the Supernova?
    Would like to try on the Supernova and see how the bracelet fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I like them especially the Fury.
    But I wonder why they didn't keep the same oversized date on it as with the Supernova?
    Would like to try on the Supernova and see how the bracelet fits.
    I wondered that too. Actually on their website it even say the other model has the big date. I much prefer the big date on a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post

They’ve lost their tool watch vibe, and core design elements. Too much change on model design over the years.

For me a smaller Solo (40mm) with this movement, or MBII would be a home run.
    Been waiting for a 40mm Solo for years but seems further away than ever. I suspect also they’d just put a similar dial and hands into the Airco with that step in the bezel which would kill it for me. Even with the original ALT models they’ve managed to change something on each that makes them a little bit worse.

Craftsman
    Interested to see the quality of the bracelet in that Supernova, I never wear my S300 on the bracelet as it doesn’t improve it and the clasp looks like something off a Kickstarter campaign

Overall I like them, albeit I would would wait for the second market for the inevitable cratering of the price

Can’t knock their ambition.

For me, they continue to be a High St brand, so putting an in-house movement into these models and charging a lot more doesn’t tempt me. Design differences aside, I’d rather have something like a GO.

I was at the superb Tower of London launch last night and was able to wear the watches. What the photos don't show is the quality and beauty of the dials. A lot of work has gone into them.

While my favourite was the Fury I loved the Supernova which has a chunky retro vibe to it.

It was good to see these at 40mm rather than larger too.

Journeyman
    Really don't like that Supernova, the other two look quite nice though.

Again I think Bremont have gone too large, and too high on the price. Whilst I love the ambition of the company, I think they are clearly not targeting me as a watch buyer.

ENG300? Please.... What is that? Nationalism? Egotism? Or an unhealthy combination of the two?
    They may as well drape their watches in red, white and blue. Oh they already have.

H1 Timing standard. Such arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    ENG300? Please.... What is that? Nationalism? Egotism? Or an unhealthy combination of the two?
    They may as well drape their watches in red, white and blue. Oh they already have.

Wow, so you aren't a fan then?

Craftsman
    I love the side profile of their integrated bracelet offering. I was worried they'd compromise on their usual style but think it works well in photos at least.
    Still not massively inspired by the designs, there is always something that doesn't quite work for me. They do always look better in the metal than photos though which can't be said for some brands.

Will be good to see them in the WoS window.

Craftsman
    For the integrated one feels like Bremont again mining others’ heritage. Acknowledge it’s tricky because they don’t have heritage of their own but feels like pastiche. For a buyer I think a good comparison is with the Zenith Defy. All down to personal preference but I would choose a Zenith. The empty to full power reserve feels a bit low end to me.

The second two are ok albeit with Bremont lugs. The first one takes way too much "inspiration" from other watches and the power reserve is the wrong way round for my preference.

[QUOTE=What I do find most interesting however seems to have been largely ignored and it's the H1 element. The H1 is all about the in house testing. Forget about COSC, put ISO to one side. Bremont have decided to do in house testing using their own specifications based I believe around the ISO testing but with a more stringent testing protocol. On the face of it that sounds amazing, a manufacturer having ultimate control over the quality standards of their watches. Of course, on the flip side, how easy is it for a manufacturer to self regulate?[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons the brothers gave last night was that the COSC process is very slow and cumbersome at the moment and they created their own at least comparable standard to bypass delays.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    One of the reasons the brothers gave last night was that the COSC process is very slow and cumbersome at the moment and they created their own at least comparable standard to bypass delays.
    I wonder if these delays might be the Swiss protecting their heritage, versus helping out a British company...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrickashaw View Post
    I wonder if these delays might be the Swiss protecting their heritage, versus helping out a British company...
    I can promise you, whatever they say, take it with a big pinch of salt.

Master
    I can say it is very heavy (which i like) and is nicely made - although I can't get over the nautilus style case and AP bracelet.

The brothers mentioned that they're doing it because they now can, and realise it's a big departure from the norm for the brand.

The more (non-promo) pics I see of the Supernova, the more it grows on me.

Especially liking the big date and lovely clear applied numerals.

Haters will always hate, so no matter what the styling was like, it would either be 'too derivative' or 'too out-there' for someone.

Same with mining their national identity - when it's pretty much their only USP.

Like it, wish them great success.

Some interesting stuff
    Love the new uses of the manufactured movement, and the fact that it is priced lower (I also note quite a difference between the Supernova and the others)
    The Supernova is a real departure, design-wise. It is not my cup of tea, but I see the attraction. For me it is biased a little too much on the crown side, and maybe the dial numerals and hands are a little too conservative for the more "out there" case.
    The Fury looks great, I really like that.
    And the Audley looks very elegant.
    I wish them luck with all 3, they deserve it.
    D

Great news for the John Lewis watch buying crowd.

Master
    I’m a fan of the classic integrated bracelet sports watches, but for me this collage of Genta references sits a bit strangely with the Bremont brand. The bracelet looks like a heavy handed take on the Royal Oak, with some random tweaks made to avoid copyright infringement, and not because it actually looks better that way. Meanwhile the picture earlier shows that it’s far too thick to pull off the sharp design language it’s so clearly aping. Somehow it ends up looking like a clash genres, nostalgia for a decade that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    I think that may have been why they started developing their own testing criteria but isn't COSC irrelevant to them now as COSC can only be used for Swiss movements which of course the ENG movement isn't? A number of people have noticed that Bremont watches, pre ENG, are ISO rated rather than COSC rated, hence the move away from COSC had already started. The new testing criteria is a further move as it's now neither COSC nor ISO, although created with ISO in mind I believe. It certainly speeds things up as it's all done in house rather than being outsourced.

Huh?

"ENG" - could that be the first three letters of the owners surname as well as the first three letters of "engine" being the 'engine' of the watch? Nothing to do with nationalism or egotism. Unless of course you're also offended by Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce, AP, PP and any other brand that uses their founders name?

I also assume that you consider COSC and ISO to be arrogant as well? H1 is reputedly more critical than both of these so why not?

I like the leading zero on the date on the top one, though I can’t say why.

Bremont H1 Generation

Not bashing the brand specifically, I neither love are hate them and they’re a bit above my price range generally - but how can you introduce your own testing regime on your own product and certify yourself?
    And as for the ‘cosc takes a while and is a bit expensive’ excuse - well, none of these are exactly bargain basement are they?
    Another example of marketing balderdash from what I can see - not sure if I’m a cynic or the younger generation is gullible?!?!

Surely the reason is that these watches are Made In England and can’t be submitted for COSC inspection? Unless things have changed the COSC will only accept watches that qualify as Swiss Made, with at least 60% of production costs and 50% of the value of components generated in Switzerland.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Surely the reason is that these watches are Made In England and can’t be submitted for COSC inspection? Unless things have changed the COSC will only accept watches that qualify as Swiss Made, with at least 60% of production costs and 50% of the value of components generated in Switzerland.
    Almost. COSC will test any movement to the same standards (ISO) but will not allow you to say the watch is COSC certified if its not conforming to being Swiss Made.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Almost. COSC will test any movement to the same standards (ISO) but will not allow you to say the watch is COSC certified if its not conforming to being Swiss Made.
    That I didn’t know and it certainly makes me rethink my comments above. Those pesky Swiss chancers!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not bashing the brand specifically, I neither love are hate them and they’re a bit above my price range generally - but how can you introduce your own testing regime on your own product and certify yourself?
    And as for the ‘cosc takes a while and is a bit expensive’ excuse - well, none of these are exactly bargain basement are they?
    Another example of marketing balderdash from what I can see - not sure if I’m a cynic or the younger generation is gullible?!?!
    Logically, I don't believe that it's marketing balderdash although Bremont and every other watch company are known for their marketing exploits.

All manufacturing companies have their own testing regime. Some conform to outside standards, others conform to the standards agreed between the manufacturer and customer. The difference here is that expensive watches are marketed based on a particular testing regime. For years in Europe and around the world, it's been marketed that Swiss watches are the best. COSC is Swiss and therefore it's marketed that the best watches are COSC certified. The ISO standard is just as good if not better but ISO isn't marketed as much and so the watch buying public are less aware of it. If you think about it, the Swiss are self certifying their own watches, no different to Bremont self certifying their own, just on a grander scale. I believe that Grand Seiko, reputedly one of the, if not the best manufacturer of movements, also self certifies.

I also wasn't aware that Bremont had used the 'it's a bit expensive' excuse when it comes to cost. The biggest issue any watch manufacturer faces with COSC is turnaround times. Cost will no doubt be factor as it's less expensive and more controllable to test in house than outsourcing. So why outsource unless it's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    If ever there was marketing BS, this has to be it. Not your comment obviously, the information from COSC. Imagine taking a car to a main dealer and asking them to service it. Their response is of course sir but we can't stipulate that we have in your servicing book. It would be laughable.

I can only imagine that COSC have made this comment so as not to break any trading laws.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    If ever there was marketing BS, this has to be it. Not your comment obviously, the information from COSC. Imagine taking a car to a main dealer and asking them to service it. Their response is of course sir but we can't stipulate that we have in your servicing book. It would be laughable.

I can only imagine that COSC have made this comment so as not to break any trading laws.
    If you need further context, I've worked directly with COSC and with their director of operations so I have a pretty good understanding of how they operate.

I'm not sure that any further context is needed and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Care to elaborate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I'm not sure that any further context is needed and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Care to elaborate?
    Maybe I misunderstood but I don't see any mention to marketing from COSC, so didn't understand what you meant about marketing BS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I like that. Very clean and crisp, and the "fuel gauge" is a nice touch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I can say it is very heavy (which i like) and is nicely made - although I can't get over the nautilus style case and AP bracelet.

The brothers mentioned that they're doing it because they now can, and realise it's a big departure from the norm for the brand.

Seeing real pictures actually changes my mind about the Supernova. Except perhaps the name!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

So now the objections to Bremont have descended to these levels??

The Fury dial looks pretty good in direct light - nice granular texture (photo from time.on.her.hands on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj4uzW5L...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=).

DC Leake have a 10% voucher available for these - I guess bigger discounts are available if you shop around too.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk