closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car experience days - any suggestions?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Car experience days - any suggestions?

Good morning gents.

My lad is 18 next month (I'd love to know where the time has gone, but that's another matter), and being a good Dad, I've bought him a TAG F1 for his first watch, as it's a milestone birthday. However, he's been mad on cars since he was a toddler. I've been looking at all sorts of places for an experience, but you have to hold a full licence. Now rather than those gifts you can buy in Boots where you go round a track with the driver, are there any good alternatives to these "Virgin Experiences"? There's a cracking rally circuit near me, however you hae to hold a full licence. I've also rang Aston & McLaren, but they don't run tours anymore.

Any help is mucho appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Craftsman
    It's a bit of a trek, but the Mercedes Brooklands experiences have some for non-license holders: https://www.mercedes-benzworld.co.uk...nces/?cat=1214

I've never tried them, so can't comment on how good they are or whether they're value for money.

Master
    Can you clarify what you mean by doesn't hold a full license - provisional only?

Last time I looked at a group trip car experience we were basically limited to karting or the "passenger" experiences as a couple of the boys don't drive. I feel like you'll struggle a bit.

In your shoes I think I'd book a decent hotel and meal and get down to the Classic Car motor show in Birmingham next month. Lots of cars to look at, chat about and occasionally have a little play with. He won't be able to drive anything but the Sporting Bears will probably be there - for a donation to charity (usually about 50 quid) they'll take you out for a drive in something tasty.

Not only that, it was immersing myself in that culture that really pushed me to crack on and get my lessons done. Might be a good kick up the bum.

Not a driving experience though a friend and I visited Lotus at Hethel recently for a factory tour, we both thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it worth the money. With the exception of the paint shop you get to walk the entire Emira production line with an extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide plus tea/coffee refreshments.

How about something more useful, but possibly less exciting, like skid pan training?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Drifting. That's fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    How about something more useful, but possibly less exciting, like skid pan training?
    Oooooh! That could be fun.

He's having lessons, his test will be early next year I reckon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Not a driving experience though a friend and I visited Lotus at Hethel recently for a factory tour, we both thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it worth the money. With the exception of the paint shop you get to walk the entire Emira production line with an extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide plus tea/coffee refreshments.
    Oh how ironic. He's doing a paint tech/bpdywork curse at college, too. Might look at that. Thanks!

Master
    Obviously i have no idea how good a driver your boy is but my first thoughts would be that he may struggle with any driving experience (if you could find one that allowed non licence holders). Often a lot to think about even if you're an experienced driver. So I think the suggestions of some sort of tour are a better idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Obviously i have no idea how good a driver your boy is but my first thoughts would be that he may struggle with any driving experience (if you could find one that allowed non licence holders). Often a lot to think about even if you're an experienced driver. So I think the suggestions of some sort of tour are a better idea.
    That is a very valid point, one I've never thought about. Putting him in a rally spec Impreza/Lancer a few weeks after his test might be a waste of time. I might wait unti his 21st, then he'll have a few years under his belt.

The Lotuts factory is looking a good bet, now!

Hard to beat these guys

https://www.palmersport.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Hard to beat these guys

https://www.palmersport.com/
    I was just going to post that very thing. Absolutely superb day out.

Craftsman
    It’s a bit of a trek but how about a passenger experience on the Nurburgring as I’ve heard about some of them being very fast!

These are all so tempting to do, particularly the Palmersport one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Absolutely superb day out.
    As long as you’ve got £1000+ to spend.

Car Chase Heroes allow non licence holders to drive, wide range of cars too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    As long as you’ve got £1000+ to spend.
    Yeah, it ain't cheap.

I went on a company day out a few years back. Can't do that (or even have a day off) now as I'm self-employed. I can hardly afford to look at the website these days.

Last edited by hogthrob; 13th October 2022 at 07:38.

Does it have to be a car, how about Tiger Moth flight? Under £300 and probably more memorable.

https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/tiger-moth-flights/
    https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/experiences/tigermoth-duxford/
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 13th October 2022 at 08:48.

Master
    My lad drove a Ferrari at age 12 or so.

https://www.wonderdays.co.uk/voucher...RoCXZQQAvD_BwE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    It’s a bit of a trek but how about a passenger experience on the Nurburgring as I’ve heard about some of them being very fast!

These are all so tempting to do, particularly the Palmersport one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Bmw ring taxi has quite a long waiting list, but it’s worth a treck if you can plan that far ahead .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Have you thought about karting? Your lad is old enough for these sessions. Forget indoor karts, these are a step up.

https://threesisterscircuit.co.uk/ad...rting-sessions

The next best thing in my eyes would be passenger rides at a trackday. The whole experience would be great - up early, travel, hanging round the pits all day. Crappy chips for lunch etc. But you’d have to know someone who does them…

Mercedes definitely do an experience for non license holders. As an alternative. KTM do a motocross experience for non license holders and its a whole day rather than a few laps around a track.

Journeyman
    Land Rover Driving Experience? Off road. My daughter did one; absolutely loved it.

The Mercedes one is great for non-license holders. Plus the c63 experience is great for you and he can be a passenger. The only danger is you end up buying one (I did ).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Have you thought about karting? Your lad is old enough for these sessions. Forget indoor karts, these are a step up.

https://threesisterscircuit.co.uk/ad...rting-sessions

The next best thing in my eyes would be passenger rides at a trackday. The whole experience would be great - up early, travel, hanging round the pits all day. Crappy chips for lunch etc. But you’d have to know someone who does them…
    https://www.kartpfi.com/

This great fun to go with friends for the team event although it did used to be 100mins if I recall. Pitstops, refuelling, professional track etc.

Craftsman
    Not driving but a trip to Goodwood would surly be memorable?