closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 80mph Ebike SURELY ILLEGAL>>

Master
    Blog Entries

80mph Ebike SURELY ILLEGAL>>

80mph Ebike SURELY ILLEGAL>>

From the government website, depends on if it’s registered as a ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPC) or a motorcycle.

EAPC must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
    should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
    An EAPC can have more than 2 wheels (for example, a tricycle).

Where you can ride
    If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it’s classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed.

Other kinds of electric bike
    Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

Master
    I’ve seen a guy come past my house (going uphill) twice at one hell of a speed on an ebike. No pedalling, just zooming past and he wasn’t wearing a helmet so I assume it’s an ebike and not an electric motorbike.
    Must have been doing at least 30mph.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

You should see all the Deliveroo riders here. I don't think one of them is sat on anything legal. Nothing is done about it.

Master
    The problem is old people think the things are dangerous and unregulated whereas the young people, the ones of the future, think the things are a cheap and environmentally clean way to travel.

There is no meeting of minds on this but the young will win eventually so best to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The problem is old people think the things are dangerous and unregulated whereas the young people, the ones of the future, think the things are a cheap and environmentally clean way to travel.

There is no meeting of minds on this but the young will win eventually so best to get used to it.
    The trouble is the young generally think they’re invulnerable and will live forever. Experience teaches you this isn’t reality. Boring as it sounds there’s a reason you need boundaries and safety rules, to protect everyone, sometimes from themselves. Doesn’t matter if your 18 or 80, a catastrophic head injury is just that - whether you’re the rider or hit by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoring the question of legality, imagine trying to stop quickly at that speed with cycle brakes!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The trouble is the young generally think they’re invulnerable and will live forever. Experience teaches you this isn’t reality. Boring as it sounds there’s a reason you need boundaries and safety rules, to protect everyone, sometimes from themselves. Doesn’t matter if your 18 or 80, a catastrophic head injury is just that - whether you’re the rider or hit by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree.

You also get into murky waters regarding insurance, as these e-bikes can do serious damage and yet have no insurance requirements

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Mick is right, these things are here to stay. What is required is well thought out legislation to (as far as possible) endure the safety of both riders and pedestrians.

Wait until you hear what speed motorbikes and cars can do, and the damage they cause.

Not sure what the answer is, eejits always going to endanger themselves and others regardless of what mode of transport they opt for.

eBikes and eScooters are here to stay but it is a bit of a wild west out there at the moment with regulation not catching up with technological development and enforcement being lacklustre. So, I don't think we have to put up with the current situation. It will only take a few instances of accidents to hit the papers and then regulation and enforcement will tighten. Give it a few years, I suspect we'll see registration plates and mandatory third party insurance.

Of course, this doesn't stop people who choose to break the law much as there are probably quite a few unlicensed/un-insured drivers out there.

Craftsman
    That looks like a lot of fun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The only ones around here with good e-bikes are the drugs dealers so they can get quickly around and away from the fuzz who chase them on trials bikes and never win.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Somebody building and riding one of the things shown in the first link from parts ordered from Ali Express has as much to do with the officially regulated pedal assist e-bikes thousands of people ride as heroin has to do with Paracetamol purchased from your local corner shop.

E-bikes like that one are already illegal to ride on public land like that, it just needs to be policed. Putting in place stricter legislation won’t stop people who are already breaking the law. Why is it always the default response?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Somebody building and riding one of the things shown in the first link from parts ordered from Ali Express has as much to do with the officially regulated pedal assist e-bikes thousands of people ride as heroin has to do with Paracetamol purchased from your local corner shop.

E-bikes like that one are already illegal to ride on public land like that, it just needs to be policed. Putting in place stricter legislation won’t stop people who are already breaking the law. Why is it always the default response?
    Spot on. Couldn't have put it better!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Major problem up here. Used by scum to rob/assault folk and then make good their rapid escape.

Showboating on roads in gangs and taking on drivers who challenge them.

Bastards!

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Major problem up here. Used by scum to rob/assault folk and then make good their rapid escape.

Showboating on roads in gangs and taking on drivers who challenge them.

Bastards!

Jim
    They do this here too, occasionally. Completely unlicensed motorbikes and powerful e-bikes. No helmets. Wheelies down our genteel high street. Just to remind us they’re only a couple of miles away…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    They do this here too, occasionally. Completely unlicensed motorbikes and powerful e-bikes. No helmets. Wheelies down our genteel high street. Just to remind us they’re only a couple of miles away…
    That’s the one.

Jim

Master
    At least criminal scum are becoming more eco minded.
    A few years ago it was pit-bikes/chicken-chasers and quads blatting around the estates, less noise polution now as well.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 10th October 2022 at 08:51.

Bit scary that vid, but looks like fun. The thing that would concern me is that proper bike parts are designed and structurally sound to do speeds over 100/130 mph easily, sometimes alot more. Those look more like bicycle parts which are designed for much much lower speeds, seems like you're expecting trouble on that score alone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Bit scary that vid, but looks like fun. The thing that would concern me is that proper bike parts are designed and structurally sound to do speeds over 100/130 mph easily, sometimes alot more. Those look more like bicycle parts which are designed for much much lower speeds, seems like you're expecting trouble on that score alone.
    I don't know though, seems to be fine in that clip. I've been on push bikes at quite hair raising speeds, and never had a mechanical failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I don't know though, seems to be fine in that clip. I've been on push bikes at quite hair raising speeds, and never had a mechanical failure.
    I presume the torque going through the thing is far in excess of what you could self-generate though and amateur road bikes tend to top out at 40mph downhill. I think it's brave/stupid to trust a self-made ebike at double this speed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Simon Cowell broke his spine falling off an ebike!

Had a rather irritating encounter with an idiot on an illegal eScooter. I'm on a regular bike going up a relatively steep hill, obviously he can maintain 15mph whereas I start to slow down at the top. He overtook me right at the crest of the hill and then going down the hill I'm now stuck behind him and it was like he was brake checking me the entire way down until I could get a break in the traffic and overtake. I'm assuming either he didn't want to go faster than 15mph or his scooter engine was limiting the speed? So irritating when you are trying to make progress under your own steam!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming either he didn't want to go faster than 15mph or his scooter engine was limiting the speed? So irritating when you are trying to make progress under your own steam!
    Both the eScooters I've had just cut the assistance rather than apply any braking once you get over 15mph
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    As I said in my early post. What about trying to stop from that speed with cycle brakes!!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    As I said in my early post. What about trying to stop from that speed with cycle brakes!!
    It was your comment that reminded me when I had one on my arse in a 40mph that he needed a brake check to remind him of his weaknesses.

Not to a full stop, but enough to remind him that he was being a bit of a muppet.

Master
    Easy peasy with disc brakes. More stopping power than one would ever need. Massively over-engineered for a push bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Simon Cowell broke his spine falling off an ebike!
    Oh dear!! hope he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Oh dear!! hope he's okay.
    Was 2 years ago so he's probably okay.

Both the eScooters I've had just cut the assistance rather than apply any braking once you get over 15mph
    Ah ok, he mustn’t have wanted to go downhill to quickly then. If that was his plan, very irritating to overtake and sit right in front of me just before the crest. Then again, I’ve learnt that everyone is out to screw everyone else over on the roads in South London!