closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Parcel force delivered Item missing / stolen `

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Furthermore, you seem to be making the assumption that doxing has occurred.
    I was very careful not to make any claims about what has or has not transpired here. Or what does or does not constitute doxing.

(b) Can you specify the section(s) of the DPA 2018 that you think prevent publishing of personally collected information in this context?
    I think this would probably come under article 8 of the Human Rights Act and the murky world of case law, Campbell vs MGN for example, not DPA. The law is not explicitly defined in this area but precedent does seem to suggest that publishing private information without permission is illegal, except in some very specific circumstances.

I think what I’ve said is right, although a lawyer may know better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Thanks also for your previous posts and as academic as it is, I do not see the holding of data posted outside of the forum, held and shared at a later date, be it lawfully, unlawfully, morally etc., to be healthy and I'm happy the point is out there.
    Thanks for your clarity. I think this is the first time you've made it clear that your concern here is about subjective opinion/'taste' (again, for want of a better term), not about whether what happened was lawful or not. I.e. Your opinion is that you don't like what happened.

Of course, you are rightly and properly free to state your opinion (i.e. personal disapproval of what was done) but, as I said, conflating it with legalistic accusations you cannot substantiate is definitely a mistake as it really does, as you have experienced(!), distract from your actual opinion.

I also agree I am unable to substantiate it with facts relevant to the current legislation.
    Thank you for your candour.

the actions are at best creepy and has led to another (also unpopular) member trawling their own posts to delete information. Not the best advert for an online community.
    In your opinion. You are (obviously) welcome to hold it and state it. I am hardly a fan of Raffe and yet I have seen nothing "creepy" here and nothing but a positive advert for a community that, to an extent, shares certain values on certain subjects. If one doesn't like those values then, yes, this makes it difficult to take a full part. So be it. This is an opt-in community, afterall.

If what has happened here has prompted someone to delete personal information about themselves from the Internet then I don't see this as a problem. If they are concerned about personal information leakage (the person said he has a "sensitive" job, which might have been something of an own goal if he really does have a "sensitive" job of some sort!) then proper persec/opsec surely demands that one is consciously aware of and cautious of possible information leakage. A useful learning experience, perhaps. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th October 2022 at 18:27.

Blog Entries
    But why should members feel they have to leave? In any case it's my choice, but thanks for your input.
    No one is forced to use this community. As I said above, it is opt-in.

There can be no expectation that any particular community can be or has to be suitable for every person.

As such, it is inevitable that some people just won't like it and might want to leave (or not join).

For the avoidance of doubt, it could sound as if I am slyly trying to suggest that you should leave. That is absolutely not the case; I am only addressing your question of "why should members feel they have to leave?". In brief, not every community is necessarily right for every person.

Thanks for your clarity. I think this is the first time you've made it clear that your concern here is about subject opinion/'taste' (again, for want of a better term), not about whether what happened was lawful or not. I.e. Your opinion is that you don't like what happened.

Of course, you are rightly and properly free to state your opinion (i.e. personal disapproval of what was done) but, as I said, conflating it with legalistic accusations you cannot substantiate is definitely a mistake as it really does, as you have experienced(!), distract from your actual opinion.

Thank you for your candour.

In your opinion. You are (obviously) welcome to hold it and state it. I am hardly a fan of Raffe and yet I have seen nothing "creepy" here and nothing but a positive advert for a community that, to an extent, shares certain values on certain subjects. If one doesn't like those values then, yes, this makes it difficult to take a full part. So be it. This is an opt-in community, afterall.

If what has happened here has prompted someone to delete personal information about themselves from the Internet then I don't see this as a problem. If they are concerned about personal information leakage (the person said he has a "sensitive" job, which might have been something of an own goal if he really does have a "sensitive" job of some sort!) then proper persec/opsec surely demands that one is consciously aware of and cautious of possible information leakage. A useful learning experience, perhaps. ;-)
    Mark, once again thanks. I can't say I agree with everything you have said but not researching the subject matter leaves me at a disadvantage to further debate something you have already.

We do not know what this member holds and when questioned on one point he declined to answer. His choice.

But what if someone (no accusations here, example only) trawls social media for information, maybe a photo and saves it to his hard drive for later 'use' in forum good deeds. What if that photo is a family photo and includes others, even kids? Yes the member has posted it on the world wide web and their privacy settings should be altered, but still not something I would expect another watch forum member to be doing.

Despite the negative impact this thread has no doubt had towards me, it has shown good things can be achieved through an online community, but also we all need to watch what we post online.

Edit: noted the comments regards leaving. I think I will just go back to viewing. I was only responding to a member making the statement, which is standard response for many ;-)
    Last edited by MacDeath; 16th October 2022 at 18:06.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    precedent does seem to suggest that publishing private information without permission is illegal
    Of course. This has not been in doubt.

The point to remember in this context is that, as far as I am aware, no private information has been published. Everything published has been public information, as far as I know and can tell. Thus what may or may not be lawfully done with private information is not relevant to this thread.

If you think that "private" information has been exposed then that's a different debate again, isn't it.

I think what I’ve said is right, although a lawyer may know better.
    I didn't say that you were necessarily wrong; only that what you did say did not give adequate detail for anyone else to form a substantive opinion. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts as well, and summed up well.
    I've been back and deleted any 'photos I've posted so as not to expose metadata.
    I've also deleted any of my posts that may expose personal details.
    I will not engage in any more sales/WTB. There have been previous posts alluding to contacting old sales/purchases contacts in order to glean personal details.
    All in all it's a pretty toxic environment.
    The deletions/abstentions are not because I'm a wrong 'un. I value my privacy but just as importantly the privacy of others. I have a sensitive profession.
    I have quite a lot to offer on the watch front...A collection of over 70 mainly vintage watches, but to join in would expose me to data harvesting. I have experience of watchmaking but to post any might expose me as well. I've seen the flak walter has recently received and it's more than distasteful.

The topic of this thread was juice. It's obviously turned out he was a villain. But might not have been initially.
    Once the doxing started(and that's what I'm calling it) he's likely to have thought 'fuck this lot' and decided not to refund. So the OP lost out and walked into hassle and loss.

I will now go back and delete more of my posts. If Eddie finds this unacceptable so be it.
    Result!

When you are done deleting your post, I have another suggestion of what you could delete. PM for a hint.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    But what if someone (no accusations here, example only) trawls social media for information, maybe a photo and saves it to his hard drive for later 'use' in forum good deeds. What if that photo is a family photo and includes others, even kids? Yes the member has posted it on the world wide web and their privacy settings should be altered, but still not something I would expect another watch forum member to be doing.
    I'd say that this is a 'moral' or philosophical question and I'm not going to answer it. Not because I don't have an answer (it is necessarily a personal, subjective, answer) but because my answer has no meaning to anyone else. Each person's moral interpretation of it is likely to be slightly different and I think that each person must decide their personal subjective moral position for themselves.

(It's just important not to conflate or confuse personal/moral/subjective opinions with claims of fact, even if the 'facts' are debatable.)

it has shown good things can be achieved through an online community, but also we all need to watch what we post online.
    I completely agree on both points here.

I have noticed that it is very common for people to seemingly unconsciously publish far more about themselves than they would be subsequently comfortable with if 'used' by someone else. Often this "someone else" is a corporation or government. Happily, awareness of privacy does seem to be gradually improving.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th October 2022 at 18:19.

I am unable to substantiate it with facts relevant to the current legislation
    I'm no expert
    breaches any part of legislation I am unsure and as a non expert may remain unsure
    I'd imagine that could break sone form of data protection. I am no expert
    not researching the subject matter leaves me at a disadvantage
    You have been going on for the best part of a week suggesting that I have broken privacy, been doxxing people and whatnot, multiple members have repeatedly shown you that all of your posts are completely without merits, upon which you keep replying that you haven't researched it and don't know, but then repeat the exact same garbage again and again.

Maybe an idea you do try to make sure you understand what you are posting about or just ride off into the sunset with your friend Aramis?

Answer the eBay question.
    And on the subject of answering questions, why don't you answer the question that a number of members have asked you: why did you wake up last week after lurking for ten years and suddenly decided to be an argumentative cnut who knows nothing about the subjects of your arguments?

I am happy to provide advice as to the best path of action going forward, PM me if interested.

xxx
    Last edited by Raffe; 16th October 2022 at 18:23. Reason: G&D rules

The point to remember in this context is that, as far as I am aware, no private information has been published. Everything published has been public information, as far as I know and can tell.
    In the eyes of the law, I don’t think it matters if the information is publicly available elsewhere, just that someone decides to publish it (or republish it) without permission.

UK GDPR says: personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.

Has anything fitting that description been published here?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    This is ludicrous. The guy scammed Lenlec out of nearly a grand and some are worried his GDPR rights might have been breached when someone used a combination of an open source newspaper report about him and the exif data the scammer himself provided to find his address?!

GDPR might cover everything and anything about data, but the information commissioner is not going to come knocking to check a random TZ member is storing open source information correctly.
    Exactly. Makes no sense whatsoever

I'd say that this is a 'moral' or philosophical question and I'm not going to answer it. Not because I don't have an answer (it is necessarily a personal, subjective, answer) but because my answer has no meaning to anyone else. Each person's moral interpretation of it is likely to be slightly different and I think that each person must decide their personal subjective moral position for themselves.

I completely agree on both points here.

I have noticed that it is very common for people to seemingly unconsciously publish far more about themselves than they would be subsequently comfortable with if 'used' by someone else. Often this "someone else" is a corporation or government. Happily, awareness of privacy does seem to be gradually improving.
    And a final thanks.

Raffe has done a good deed here and I've no real intention on researching privacy laws, but I guess I conclude that morally I remain uncomfortable with how he (and others like him) gathers, stores, reproduces and has the potential to use the information for other than good reasons. I suppose that applies to anyone if the info is out there. The lesson is to better protect your information and use common sense before pressing send.

Edit: Sorry but he spoils it and comes on to lambast someone who has the gaul to question his motives.

I guess only him and his wank sock will ever know.
    Last edited by MacDeath; 16th October 2022 at 18:27.

Blog Entries
    # 548 maybe an edit of some of the language?

Done i see.
    Last edited by mart broad; 16th October 2022 at 18:28.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    I suppose that applies to anyone if the info is out there. The lesson is to better protect your information and use common sense before pressing send.
    I agree with these points.

In the eyes of the law, I don’t think it matters if the information is publicly available elsewhere, just that someone decides to publish it (or republish it) without permission.

UK GDPR says: personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.

Has anything fitting that description been published here?
    Another pretend privacy lawyer! God help us.

1. GDPR does not apply to private persons.
    2. It does matter if information is in public domain or not
    3. Which information posted has made any member identifiable?

I have some tips for you:
    1. You don't want your info in the public domain, don't publish it into the public domain.
    2. You don't want your IP address known to every man and mouse on the planet? Don't join a forum that makes available the IP address of every member publicly.

Here is the link to your IP address. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Here is the link to your IP address. Enjoy!
    Where's yours gone?

Well.................. Tangentially - this thread frickin' ROCKS !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Where's yours gone?
    It shows IPs of all members who are currently active.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How do you get rid of your activity etc? I know a lot of people do not have it but I've looked and can not find the option.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    How do you get rid of your activity etc? I know a lot of people do not have it but I've looked and can not find the option.
    1. Go to settings, put yourself into invisible mode:

2. Go to Profile Privacy, restrict who can see which info about you:

Craftsman
    I don’t usually comment on these kind of threads (life’s too short!) but !
    If Raffes info helps someone from being scammed, ripped off then good on the guy for putting the time and effort in to help stop this

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I don’t usually comment on these kind of threads (life’s too short!) but !
    If Raffes info helps someone from being scammed, ripped off then good on the guy for putting the time and effort in to help stop this
    ^ this. Thank you Raffe, I’ve benefited on a few occasions from your observations.

Master
    The vocal level of the dense minority is strong here.

Internet armchair lawyers, who know nothing, and have not even bothered to research before 'being correct'.

I can guess their newspaper of choice.

@MacDeath & @Aramis9, is there a reason why such a high proportion of your overall posts here are on this thread?

Smelling rats, no matter what you proclaim.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 16th October 2022 at 20:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Smelling rats, no matter what you proclaim.
    10 year old accounts with low post count that suddenly spring to life in these threads does look odd …

Internet armchair lawyers, who no nothing, and have not even bothered to research before 'being correct'.
    Least of all - spelling.

Yes, I know. I just assumed you must have been active yourself to collate it but couldn’t see your details in the list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    10 year old accounts with low post count that suddenly spring to life in these threads does look odd …
    Glitch incoming, but how many more do they have

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Least of all - spelling.
    I have slapped myself repeatedly for the shame of that.

Can only assume some iOS autocorrect there, as I am honestly can use English haha!

The vocal level of the dense minority is strong here.
    Dense says speller of the year hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I'm shy.

Glitch incoming, but how many more do they have
    You in charge of the glitch button?

I've tried to be more active, but the forum doesn't provide enough variety to engage me regularly, plus it is so difficult to build up here without asking the same questions or being ridiculed by the old bores. That doesn't stop me posting when I want to. Plus, I've some designer bags to sell lol.

I have no association with Aramis9, other than we have both been analysed poorly by the aforementioned old bores.

I'm offline for the next ten days so will pop back in later in the month and see what else you can tell me about myself. Until then.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, I know. I just assumed you must have been active yourself to collate it but couldn’t see your details in the list.
    I think you are going inactive about 10 minutes after you stopped posting/moving around the forum.

I've tried to be more active, but the forum doesn't provide enough variety to engage me regularly, plus it is so difficult to build up here without asking the same questions or being ridiculed by the old bores. That doesn't stop me posting when I want to. Plus, I've some designer bags to sell lol.
    Did you?

In the ten years of your membership, you started two threads - both for asking a particular question but providing zero info back to the forum.

Of your 163 posts in ten years, there are:

- 20 in this very thread (12.2%)
    - 93 in Watch Talk and BMW (including the two question threads and a flurry of posts with no intention other than to troll and insult like this, this or this).
    - 54 In George&Dragon, where you suddenly discovered in July the urge to opine about postal strikes and the likes
    - most of the rest in the Young Dudes music forum
    - 50 posts (31%) of your total post count was done during the last four weeks and another 58 posts (36%) during the very first month of your membership ten years ago. The remaining posts (33%) were spread over 10 years and three months.

Oh, and say 'hi' to Steve when you see him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lolz. Where’s me popcorn…

Master
    Did you?

In the ten years of your membership, you started two threads - both for asking a particular question but providing zero info back to the forum.

Of your 163 posts in ten years, there are:

- 20 in this very thread (12.2%)
    - 93 in Watch Talk and BMW (including the two question threads and a flurry of posts with no intention other than to troll and insult like this, this or this).
    - 54 In George&Dragon, where you suddenly discovered in July the urge to opine about postal strikes and the likes
    - most of the rest in the Young Dudes music forum
    - 50 posts (31%) of your total post count was done during the last four weeks and another 58 posts (36%) during the very first month of your membership ten years ago. The remaining posts (33%) were spread over 10 years and three months.

Oh, and say 'hi' to Steve when you see him.
    Thank you for doing what I could not be arsed to do while I'm out!

Steve as in the B who started the grumbling thread...

Knew he was still there, like a sad little man.

Am sure one of these IDs messaged me about how B was being a real arse to me in the BP, I replied about the sad tattoo & desk set up on his twitter account, and the next day it was gone.

Wish I had kept the message as was clearly him given the speed the photo of housing was deleted.

Is it just me that doesn't get any IP data from that page? Only columns on mine are Username, Last Activity, Location and Instant Messaging. Same on Mac Safari and iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I don't know what we'd do without you.
    I think we'll just have to carry on without Aramis9's input, there seems to have been a forum glitch...

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Oh dear, what a loss!

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Is it just me that doesn't get any IP data from that page? Only columns on mine are Username, Last Activity, Location and Instant Messaging. Same on Mac Safari and iOS
    I see it, here screenshot of my own entry:

Last edited by Raffe; 17th October 2022 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I think we'll just have to carry on without Aramis9's input, there seems to have been a forum glitch...

;-)

R
    Pity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No distraction at all.

Thanks also for your previous posts and as academic as it is, I do not see the holding of data posted outside of the forum, held and shared at a later date, be it lawfully, unlawfully, morally etc., to be healthy and I'm happy the point is out there..
    Many years ago I sold a watch on this forum and the buyer did not pay

I asked for help and got an email address - contacted the buyer and he paid me, with sincere apologies. All good

Had someone not held that email address, I would not have been paid

You might think that is good, I’ll disagree with you.

Has he been flipped? Nugget!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Possibly one of the 10,000 post features. Don't recall for sure.

Same as the free SC vouchers scheme.

Oh, that may well be.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all I purchased the Lv hold-all off here last week.
    The parcel arrived with me this morning all damaged. The box had been cut open and the Lv hold-all taken
    I refused delivery and took pics
    What happens now ?
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/DmwBNdb
    Any update on the proceedings of the case at hand?

I suspect I've fallen victim to one of the infamous TZ leg-pulls

Master
    Would be awful if a 10k member that can see edited / deleted posts put them all in one thread.

Whilst I love he’s been glitched, he still remains.

Any update on the proceedings of the case at hand?
    No

Would be awful if a 10k member that can see edited / deleted posts put them all in one thread.

Whilst I love he’s been glitched, he still remains.
    I think a 10k member just sees that a message has been deleted, not the actual message?

I’m looking forward to that superpower in a year or so.

I think a 10k member just sees that a message has been deleted, not the actual message?

Correct, just that a message has been deleted.

You mostly only see it on SC items

People bump and when they want to bump again they delete the last bump so they don't look desperate

Sometimes see an item with ten deleted posts then a fresh bump

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

People bump and when they want to bump again they delete the last bump so they don't look desperate

Sometimes see an item with ten deleted posts then a fresh bump
    It is desperate though!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It is desperate though!
    Surely at 40k you can see it all!

Would have loved for him to squirm & worry. Oh well, at least he needs to rebuild or use another ID.

Let’s all wave to him & his next ID

For a safe forum, we don’t half seem to get our share of chancers, twunts & bottom feeders here.

Ralf, you’ve taken some harsh comments on a variety of post, but I’d rather someone helped to keep an eye here vs the Wild West of WIS it could easily be. Post counts and tenure are counting for little now, and I’m a relative newbie.

That said, there is still an address in Swansea area in need of letterbox duty. Well letterbox is all I can type, as dragging said miscreant for a deserved meeting of golf club and knee cap combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hear hear