closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hot Sauce at home

Hot Sauce at home

I've grown a couple of large chilli plants this year, and they have produced enough fruit to mean that I will have to preserve the majority when they ripen.

I'm thinking hot sauce, and as they're a habanero and a ghost chilli, it will be hot.

While I've watched a view YouTube videos on how to make hot sauce, does anyone have any experience, recipes or suggestions they care to share?

Thanks in advance.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

My preferred way to deal with chili overstocks is to chop them and freeze them in a dedicated ice cube tray.
    Don't use the ice tray for anything else afterwards.
    DON'T go for a jimmy until several hours and multiple hand washes have taken place after chopping.
    They are then available for whatever you use them for now, but all through the winter and next Spring; sauces, curries, drain clearance, make-your-own mace spray etc.

Fill a sealable Oil/Vinegar Cruet about 2/3rds to 3/4s full will your chosen chilli. Add either vodka, gin or sherry (sheet doesn't last as long but has a richer flavour). Leave for a couple of weeks, then just add a few drops to a soup or anything you want to have a kick to. It is hot particularly if you have used one of the hottest chillies. It will last for years.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    As above advice really.

We freeze all our excess separately on a tray, then bag them up in terms of heat, size, colour etc, and use them from frozen throughout the year.

The individual chillis defrost ready for chopping really quickly, so no need to take them out in advance.

I call this my red death, and make a batch every few months as it lasts ages in the fridge.

Scotch bonnet peppers, washed, de-stalked and halved. In a microwaveable jug- I used a large Pyrex one. Cover with white wine vinegar, add salt and a little sugar, cover with clingfilm, prick the film, microwave on full until the vinegar just starts to bubble, marvel at how the air in your kitchen prickles your eyes and sinuses, let it cool a bit, blitz it with a stick blender, and strain through a fine sieve. Finally transfer to sterilised bottles or jars.

At the kebab shop I now say “no thank you” to their chilli sauce as mine is better, but I use it on all sorts of things from poached eggs to a little enriching dash in various sauces.

So easy, so good.

Craftsman
    Nice

I buy the chillies as mine seldom give enough chillies no matter what I do. Not sure if it’s a Scottish thing or what.

We make chilli jam, chilli oil, chillie butter for tatties steak etc cut and do the ice cube thing but usually with a little oil along with basil and coriander cubes.
    Chimichurie sauce is great when home made as well.

And chilli growing advice gratefully received…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all, I knew there would be a wealth of sound, practical advice on the forum.
    I particularly like the sound of steeping them in vodka and may try some chilli oil too. I shall report back.

Thanks also for the warning on handling. I have experienced the downstairs burn once or twice, thankfully mildly as I had washed my hands, just not thoroughly enough. I have plenty of post-covid gloves, so I'll use those. :)

Thanks also to John (Vertex) for some excellent advice and great link for some authentic Thai produce. I regularly make Tom Yam soup at home and there are many things to try at a shop his family use.

https://www.raanthai.co.uk/thai-food...egetables.html

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    South Italian recipe from my grandma.

I use this for my habaneros (originally was Calabrian chillis) . I use disposable gloves; second, I use extra virgin olive oil.

First I wash them with water to remove dust etc. Then dry on a towel, and clean the chillis of the storks (the green part) and cut them in pieces with a knife. Weigh them. Then put the in the oven at 80 Celsius for three hrs.

Then in a mixer, with 4% salt (in respect to initial weight). Start mixing for a while, then start adding EVO, to make a paste. At the end should be transferred in a glass container , adding an extra volume of EVO over the past.

Leave it at least a week before using. Keeps for months if the drying has been done well.

When you need to use, shake it and use a spoon to deliver
    Last edited by Franco; 11th September 2022 at 12:37.

The last time I had a surfeit of chillies I used a load of them in a chilli chutney, and it went down a treat. The base recipe was lifted from the internet although I probably added some other bits and bobs. I think it was this JO one: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...epper-chutney/
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thank you Franco and Matthew, a couple more sound recipes to think about. It's appreciated.

I make a hot sauce or two most years.
    I often do a sweet chilli dipping sauce.
    And a green one with a base of onion, garlic, ginger and coriander leaf. Great for adding to oriental cooking
    And a red one with onion, garlic, tomato and paprika for a bit of smokiness. Great everywhere
    These are blended sauces, and they keep for a year or more if boiled through enough and put into sterilised bottles.
    I have also done a milder chilli jelly, by finely slicing them into crab apple jelly, which is lovely on cheese.
    I make most of them up as I go along. Read a few recipes and have an experiment, With super hot chillies a little pan full of ingredients will make enough hot sauce to last for ages.

D

Craftsman
    I like this blend-only recipe. The mint sauce/jelly is the key to it. Try adding pineapple for a different version.
    https://fussfreeflavours.com/kebab-shop-chilli-sauce/

if you do try to make a chilli sauce with the ghost peppers i'd make/cook it outside on the barbecue , theres nothing like turning your kitchen into a pepper gas /spray lab and havng to make a run for it while coughing a lung up and crying at the same time.

habanero's are also good for cold smoking /drying on the barbecue.