closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Visiting Edinburgh - where to shop for watches?

Visiting Edinburgh - where to shop for watches?

As per title - visiting Edinburgh on my 40th birthday in November. Our train arrives 7am into Waverley, so I'll have all morning to shop for watches until heading off to Murrayfield for the rugby after lunch.

I've only ever been to Edinburgh for tourist stuff before - whisky, Castle, etc. so no idea where would be good to find and try on some stuff before purchasing.

There's a few nice Seiko I'd like to try (top priority), as well as some Longines, Hamilton, maybe top end Citizen if possible. Basically looking around the £800-1200 mark for a nice 40th birthday present. Wouldn't discount second hand if there was anything in the price range. Hoping there'll be some independents that stock stuff at this level rather than the usual high street chains?

Many thanks for any recommendations. Maybe you could also suggest somewhere for Sunday lunch when my rellies from the Highlands come down? Nothing Michelin-starred, but my Uncle is a chef, so somewhere half-decent would be good. Thanks.

Edit: No, I doubt we'll be able to get to Glasgow and back in time for the rugby. If I wanted to go to Glasgow, I would have booked a train to Glasgow.
    Last edited by HenPecked; 6th September 2022 at 19:14. Reason: I'm not going to Glasgow, so please stop recommending places there

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Chisholm hunter on Princes Street does GS. Im not sure where does Seiko, but Ernest jones might they're on Princes Street as well and nearby.
    Hamilton and Inches on George Street (walk up Frederick street, turn left, cross road 2 mins from Chisholm)

I dont know of any independents operating there really.
    Last edited by verv; 6th September 2022 at 18:38.

Master
    As mentioned above, they're all quite within walking distance - Fraser Hart, Chisholm Hunter (Vacheron), Laings, Hamilton & Inches. Rox (I think has Hublot).
    From Waverley they're all more or less Princes Street / George Street, so an easy tour, before continuing west toward Murrayfield.
    Glasgow has others, including James Porter & Son who are very good for Seiko, if you have time to get through there (less than an hour on the train)

Craftsman
    Can strongly recommend James porter in argyle arcade in Glasgow , lots of interesting less mainstream brands and friendly knowledgeable staff

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    On your question about lunch… Taisteal on Forth Street do some really nice set menu food that won’t break the bank… far better than the £33 for 3 courses would lead you to believe.
    However, I’m not sure if they’ve re-opened for Sundays as yet, but may well have done by November.

The Bonham do a (boozy snoozy) 3 course plus half bottle of wine for £32. Other end of the town centre from Taisteal. Again, for the money you really can’t complain.

Andy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Laings has a small pre-owned selection and if you walk down to the corner of Queen Street from there, H&T Pawnbrokers also have a decent range (PSA: They currently have significant ticket discounts on all their watches)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Laings has a small pre-owned selection and if you walk down to the corner of Queen Street from there, H&T Pawnbrokers also have a decent range (PSA: They currently have significant ticket discounts on all their watches)
    A few years ago I bought a IWC Mark XV on bracelet and Tudor Submariner 79090 from H&T Pawnbrokers. Unable to recall exactly how much I paid, maybe £2200 apiece.

Master
    Glasgow's lovely, have you thought about there? :)))))

Even if you're not into the MoonSwatches, it might be worth poking your nose into the Swatch store while you're there to see what all the fuss is about.

The argyle arcade would be my destination.

(In Glasgow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love those last 2 comments.

But I'd echo those sentiments.
    If you're feeling adventurous, head up to Martin's on maryhill road and Robert Anthony across the road as well.

Tom coll has everything you could want from an old Rolex pov, and Laing's have the rest (of the arcade now it seems).

They used to have a bunch of really knowledgeable and friendly sales people

Sent from my moto g51 5G using Tapatalk