closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega box..."Genuine"?.

Grand Master

Omega box..."Genuine"?.

Bought this Omega box recently but no longer required.
    Sold it and the buyer said the red box isnt genuine!.
    What are your thoughts guys.

Obviously it will be returned for a full refund.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I must say having looked at the pics it dors look like one of the earlier Omega boxes that did have the associated booklets and leather wallet....but is it genuine?.

Thanks for any feedback..

It must be fake - it hasn’t fallen apart!
    Every one of the red omega boxes I have had has pretty much destroyed itself just by sitting in a cupboard.
    Not sure about the box but the papers don’t look like any I have ever had but they could be an older style.
    Italic new times Roman was popular in the early 90s, it’s also popular with Chinese fakers though
    Any new Omega I have bough has always had the bound book for instructions with cards in the wallet (but I am sure they are pleather and have never seen a cow, just like the box)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd September 2022 at 21:06.

Grand Master
    A few pics send from the buyer.The leather wallet and booklets are ok,ive had many like that so no question re those or infact the white outer box,the question hangs over the red inner box.

Grand Master
    And to quote sinnlover,I agree usually the old Omega red boxes look moth eaten if sat in a drawer!!.This one doesnt like so!.

I was not saying for definite either way. Only relaying my experience with them. (And I have had and still have a few)
    The internals look good though
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd September 2022 at 21:09.

An old Omega box in good condition is like a Seiko that keeps excellent time…

Master
    Looks genuine to me. Same as my 9 year old AT box. Mine is still mint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Every one of the red omega boxes I have had has pretty much destroyed itself just by sitting in a cupboard.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've had three of these and every one was flaked to ****.

Grand Master
    Imo I think it may be a mismatched box set.

The red "newer"box has been added to the older white box and older leather wallet and booklets.

I’m going to suggest fake. I believe the internal branding should be central and larger

Grand Master
    Here's an older red box....not as red in colour.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I concur.....the logo is bigger,but is this a sign its fake simply for that reason,or can anyone show one as the one discussed perhaps?.
    Is it feasible Omega had different suppliers?,I dont know,but perhaps and why a difference maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Haha that was going to be exactly my comment. Those boxes self destruct.

Craftsman
    I think you’re thinking of boxes of different vintages…. The early red Omega boxes had a sort of matte type feel to them, almost like they were suede but not quite. Those were godawful and, as many have said, they fell apart just left in their boxes. In fact, they often stuck to the inner boxes and left red marks in the inside as the suede effect came off and stuck to the inside of the white boxes. In short, they were awful.

This looks like the box that followed it, which looks more like shiny, bookbinder type leather. I have one of these upstairs and last time I checked, it hadn’t fallen apart and it’s about seventeen years old.

I’ll go and check in the morning and put a photo on (if I can work out how) to compare. First glance, the photos above are not great so that doesn’t help, but I didn’t immediately think it was a duffer when I saw it.

Ear with me, will revert when I’ve had some Kip.

People buying shite off e-bay in order to make up full sets and enabling them to ask a higher price when selling clearly complicates things.

If your watch comes without this shit, leave it be.

What does the buyer offer by way of evidence that it is fake?

Or - are they simply looking for a partial refund?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    People buying shite off e-bay in order to make up full sets and enabling them to ask a higher price when selling clearly complicates things.

If your watch comes without this shit, leave it be.

This.
    I've had a few Tag watches (including one off here) with cheap aftermarket (fake!) boxes. Just assume if it came from ebay, its fake. There are hundreds on there. The big give away is when they come with the correctly branded bag as well. As if anyone who isn't an AD has a stock of those.

Omega, Tag and Cartier seem to be the main counterfeited boxes.

Master
    FWIW, based on those blurry photos, that box and paperwork looks legit to me. I’ve got about 20 boxed Omega and the boxes do vary wildly but that matches the circa ~2000 offering pretty well. The fakes have big obvious tells, that does not, nothing obvious anyway.

Master
    Just checked mine 2006 and 2015 - as above the logo in the lid is central and the ‘badge’ on the top of the lid is different- doesn’t say organisation but Swiss made since 1848

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I responded to his wtb for an omega box,sent him pics,but when arrived he wasnt happy about the red box saying its fake in his opinion.
    I do agree the booklets and leather wallet are a different period,but im sure he would have known that by the pics i sent prior to posting tbh.
    Perhaps its thd fact they are mismatched!,or yhat he thinks it is a fake red box.Ill have to ask him to look on here and read shat has been said.I didnt buy it from ebay,I bought of here.
    But want the guy to be happy with what he bought nevertheless.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d say genuine if it’s been looked after.

I’ve got two that are c20 years old, one for a speedmaster and one for a Seamaster that are in pristine nick, only cos they aren’t touched and served their purpose before being ‘stored’.

But I ain’t no expert - there are however many of them on here as we all know.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Hadn’t thought of that. Surely on this holier than thou place that wouldn’t happen Al, would it??🤔🤔

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I responded to his wtb for an omega box,sent him pics,but when arrived he wasnt happy about the red box saying its fake in his opinion.
    I do agree the booklets and leather wallet are a different period,but im sure he would have known that by the pics i sent prior to posting tbh.
    Perhaps its thd fact they are mismatched!,or yhat he thinks it is a fake red box.Ill have to ask him to look on here and read shat has been said.I didnt buy it from ebay,I bought of here.
    But want the guy to be happy with what he bought nevertheless.
    Might be easier all round if he just sends it back, he's never going to be happy with it and I wouldn't waste time debating it with the buyer.

I`m no expert on these boxes, I have a few packed away but I`m loathe to dog them out, it wouldn't surprise me if there were minor variations over the course of several years.

Handling this side by side with a couple of known genuine items, then looking for the smallest detail inconsistencies, is the only way to resolve this and even then it may not prove conclusive...........life's too short!

Tell him to return it and give him his money back, problem solved.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Might be easier all round if he just sends it back, he's never going to be happy with it and I wouldn't waste time debating it with the buyer.

I`m no expert on these boxes, I have a few packed away but I`m loathe to dog them out, it wouldn't surprise me if there were minor variations over the course of several years.

Handling this side by side with a couple of known genuine items, then looking for the smallest detail inconsistencies, is the only way to resolve this and even then it may not prove conclusive...........life's too short!

Tell him to return it and give him his money back, problem solved.
    Exactly what I told him to do,but I still wanted to know why he said it was a fake box too.....because if not i can offer it again in good faith its not fake.

Do these red boxes on their own have any real value anyway. I have owned a few Omega watches that came with red boxes, but I wouldn’t have considered them worth anything unless they were part of a full set, which is a different issue completely. There are other Omega boxes such as the late 60s Speedmaster crater box which is extremely desirable and can sell for a grand on its own, but these red boxes just seem like mass produced trinket boxes to me.

Grand Master
    Do these red boxes on their own have any real value anyway. I have owned a few Omega watches that came with red boxes, but I wouldn’t have considered them worth anything unless they were part of a full set, which is a different issue completely. There are other Omega boxes such as the late 60s Speedmaster crater box which is extremely desirable and can sell for a grand on its own, but these red boxes just seem like mass produced trinket boxes to me.
    Id assume if someone puts a wtb up they have a value....he didnt ask for someone to give him one for nowt!.

Craftsman
    Do you know the approximate age is and have you seen any others around the same age you can compare to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Refund him and get it back - it’s the easiest option- realistically it’s going to set you back £3

Master
    I think, also, unless the box is original to the watch, it’s not worth bothering with buying in isolation. Could be fake, could not be. Hard to tell unless you buy from the manufacturer/AD. I personally don’t really understand the idea of buying a box or other bits and pieces that aren’t original to the watch to make up a set which isn’t an original set. I’d never be 100% confident in what I’d bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I think, also, unless the box is original to the watch, it’s not worth bothering with buying in isolation. Could be fake, could not be. Hard to tell unless you buy from the manufacturer/AD. I personally don’t really understand the idea of buying a box or other bits and pieces that aren’t original to the watch to make up a set which isn’t an original set. I’d never be 100% confident in what I’d bought.
    Absolutely. I totally get people wanting a ‘period correct’ bezel insert or superdome crystal etc for their vintage watch in order to return the watch to how it would have looked when first sold, but boxes and booklets and swing tags that are just going to be stored away for years and never looked at is very odd, unless the motivation is to try and increase the value of a loose watch that is going to be sold.

Master
    Let’s hope that the OP’s buyer returns the box he was sold and not substitute it with a fake that he already had.

I appreciate this isn’t eBay but has to be an element of buy the seller and buy the buyer too.

I used to own a 2012 Planet Ocean with a box that looked similar to that. It was mint when I sold the watch. Can’t find a decent pic of it though.

If the OP really wants to put his mind at rest; I guess comparing with a known genuine article side by side is the way forward.

Grand Master
    Absolutely. I totally get people wanting a ‘period correct’ bezel insert or superdome crystal etc for their vintage watch in order to return the watch to how it would have looked when first sold, but boxes and booklets and swing tags that are just going to be stored away for years and never looked at is very odd, unless the motivation is to try and increase the value of a loose watch that is going to be sold.
    Odd indeed.....and yet just as odd that people ask for them and people have them to sell.

Yes very odd Ken.

Where did you get it from?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Where did you get it from?

Right here off tz is where...I never had any concerns about the box.And the seller never mentioned anything for me to suspect anything untoward.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Refund him and get it back - it’s the easiest option- realistically it’s going to set you back £3
    I told him to return once he said he wasnt happy with it.
    I dont think its a fake box,and others have said same.So if anyone is after a box and wallet and booklets get in touch when i post on sales corner....albeit obviously a mismatched set!.

Blog Entries
    An old Omega box in good condition is like a Seiko that keeps excellent time…
    +1
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Have you got any clear photos? I still believe it is fake but would change my mind if other examples can be found.

Master
    I sold him this box. I bought a red faced speedmaster reduced in it about 9 or 10 years ago and sold the watch to Bradley’s in Harrogate from my wrist when I bought a SH speedmaster Co-Axial. I’ve had the box under my bed ever since along with a few others and during a recent move have decided to sell a few bits rather that throwing them in the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=aa388;6060838]I sold him this box. I bought a red faced speedmaster reduced in it about 9 or 10 years ago and sold the watch to Bradley’s in Harrogate from my wrist when I bought a SH speedmaster Co-Axial. I’ve had the box under my bed ever since along with a few others and during a recent move have decided to sell a few bits rather that throwing them in the bin.

And were the much older than the box booklets and leather wallet with it when you bought the watch,because it seems they are a mismatched set!,and perhaps why my buyer has said "fake" red box!.

Master
    [QUOTE=P9CLY;6060859]
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I sold him this box. I bought a red faced speedmaster reduced in it about 9 or 10 years ago and sold the watch to Bradley’s in Harrogate from my wrist when I bought a SH speedmaster Co-Axial. I’ve had the box under my bed ever since along with a few others and during a recent move have decided to sell a few bits rather that throwing them in the bin.

And were the much older than the box booklets and leather wallet with it when you bought the watch,because it seems they are a mismatched set!,and perhaps why my buyer has said "fake" red box!.
    I bought a S/H watch that came in a box, it was the watch that I wanted and I have no interest in the box booklet or anything that comes with it. That’s all, I’ve not added anything that’s all that came with the watch and sold it with no knowledge of its previous existence.

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=aa388;6060893]

I bought a S/H watch that came in a box, it was the watch that I wanted and I have no interest in the box booklet or anything that comes with it. That’s all, I’ve not added anything that’s all that came with the watch and sold it with no knowledge of its previous existence.

Ive at least done the right thing and reimbursed the chap.
    Maybe with hindsight you should have binned it as you said and I too would not now have a fake useless box.
    Thankfully just a box and a pittance in money terms too.

The quotes alone make it difficult !!!

[QUOTE=P9CLY;6060902]
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

Ive at least done the right thing and reimbursed the chap.
    Maybe with hindsight you should have binned it as you said and I too would not now have a fake useless box.
    Thankfully just a box and a pittance in money terms too.
    In contrast to this the sellers response to me was the favoured opinion here is that the box is in fact 'genuine' as he thought.
    He agreed though somewhat begrudgingly to take the box back saying "send the damn box back" & has since refunded me minus his original post out costs, all much ado about nothing really.

Jesus, all this fuss over a box!

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=jzinc;6063923]

In contrast to this the sellers response to me was the favoured opinion here is that the box is in fact 'genuine' as he thought.
    He agreed though somewhat begrudgingly to take the box back saying "send the damn box back" & has since refunded me minus his original post out costs, all much ado about nothing really.
    Not quite correct tho.I did say return it for a full refund no question.
    You send many emails stating why you thought fake!.And you said you wanted £24.50 minus the post.And I refer you to post 1....what was my last sentence.So not as begrudgingly as you say hey.

Did you forget this bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes Jesus exactly for a box.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 11th September 2022 at 12:03.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It was also a valid discussion nevertheless imo even tho only a box.
    Why would I not want to know if fake or otherwise.

It was also a valid discussion nevertheless imo even tho only a box.
    Why would I not want to know if fake or otherwise.
    Just refund/get a refund. As said (by you? - hard to tell with all the quoting), much ado about nothing.