closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorbike Storage Shed Option

Motorbike Storage Shed Option

Afternoon All

We are relocating and for the first time in nearly 15 years, I could be looking at a property without any garage at all.

I can just about compute the man maths because my commute will be slashed from 90 mins to 15 mins each way. Losing my bike though is a red line I am not crossing!

I have been looking at bike stores with decent levels of security. The Asgard metal ones look good but I have been politely asked by my wife to find the smallest one possible. The incursion into her new garden is apparently one of her red lines.

Ideally I would like to run some power out to it and light it at night.

What are folk without garages using? Some recommendations appreciated please!

Craftsman
    Hi Chap, I would go down the route of a wooden shed, they tend to breathe better so less chance of bike corrosion, could also add garden shed to rear, make it look pretty and score brownie points all in one go Fairly easy to create a substantial one in your chosen size and they can be secured quite easily ( I use an angle iron bar, two hoops and two key coded padlocks) Cheers, John B4

I can't recommend any particular 'shed', but if minimum size is important, then possibly one with side access as well as front access - would achieve this.

I started by google-imaging: https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...uY_zD2l7qLKKSM

Which should give you a few ideas as to what is out there.

I think security is really taken care of with grinder/bolt-proof padlock arrangement, and the fact that grinding a metal 'shed' makes a lot of noise.

You can easily cut a hole in the side for a cable gland and fix an LED light to the inside. Perhaps a Wifi-system camera inside with motion detection warning to your phone? A good quality alarming disc-lock attached to the door lock/padlock should alert you if anyone tries to get in. Those things go off if you sneeze on them! (almost).

A PIR light high up on the house wall too.

Just some random thoughts.

Asgard for me as I've run out of room in the stone one ...

I built this one on Friday afternoon but I didn't listen to the wife as I need room for a workbench and 3 scooters.

Cheers,

Adam.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

I built this one on Friday afternoon but I didn't listen to the wife as I need room for a workbench and 3 scooters.

Cheers,

Adam.
    Hi op

Ignore your wife and copy this man. lol

A house without a garage or shed for a mans motorcycles and tinkering activities?

How would your wife react if you said you were moving to a property without a kitchen?

I`m afraid you`re going to have to look for an alternative house....

When I ran out of space in the main workshop, I opted for a Keter 2.7m x 4.7m plastic shed from Costco.

It was easy to erect onto a solid concrete base, and includes a rigid floor plus steel bracing inside the verticals and x_beams.

There are currently 5 bikes, including a Pan ST1100 stored side-on, nose to tail, and room for a couple more.

I would recommend the range and pricing at Costco, delivery is included and usually 3-5 working days.
    Last edited by W124; 28th August 2022 at 20:26.

The other thing with Asgard is the insurance companies agree that they are garages and not sheds...

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Hasnt Tony ( LTF) tried / using some form of temporary storage ? , might be worth a pm

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,

Adam.
    I'm not sure if this is exactly the same but it looks very similar to the ones The Buccleuch Arms Hotel in Moffat have available for bikers to park their bikes in - really good

https://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/biker-friendly/

Shed

Cheap and safe way is a 10 ft container
    They look hideous but safe
    Cover it with timber boarding or timber trellis and grow plants up disguises it too run a cable in from house
    Cheap and safe way to run a cable if you can’t go high level is through a scaffold pole buried
    That way you can’t hit it with a shovel whilst gardening
    As said led cheap and bright

Motorbike Storage Shed Option

Thanks All

I probably should have added from the start that:

I would be running power out so that I could use the dehumidifier I have been running in my garage for a few years. At one point I had three classic bikes in my garage at home, and avoidance of moisture has become a bit of an obsession.

I would also be looking at adding a wireless Police monitored alarm to the property, as I have here currently. I would then want to include a PID to the bike store as part of the house system.

The house is just shy of £1m. Safe electrics are one thing, but someone else will be running the cabling and it will not be strung across the garden or buried in an old scaffold pole. Building a garage would be my ideal but space and time limitations mean this is my preferred route.
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 28th August 2022 at 23:49.

If time is limited, then Asgard may be out of the picture.
    It took months for mine to be delivered. It was ordered on 10th May and delivered 26th August. That was over 15 weeks and they'd quoted 10-12...

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    A house without a garage or shed for a mans motorcycles and tinkering activities?

How would your wife react if you said you were moving to a property without a kitchen?

Or an alternative wife!

Craftsman
    Good Lord, a million pound home with no room for a garage/shed? Those metal sheds are condensation hell and if that's your only choice then look at insulating it would be my advice. Wooden sheds aren't any better and my bikes were soaked. In the end I went for brick built with upvc windows and doors with insulation on the walls and ceiling. I've also got a 300w heater panel that comes on via a bluetooth thermostat which keeps the temp above dew point. Insulation not ventilation was my conclusion.

Sounds like you've got the means so I'd ask a mate to keep the bikes for a while and get something brick built. I used reclaimed brick and it looks quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Good Lord, a million pound home with no room for a garage/shed? Those metal sheds are condensation hell and if that's your only choice then look at insulating it would be my advice. Wooden sheds aren't any better and my bikes were soaked. In the end I went for brick built with upvc windows and doors with insulation on the walls and ceiling. I've also got a 300w heater panel that comes on via a bluetooth thermostat which keeps the temp above dew point. Insulation not ventilation was my conclusion.

Sounds like you've got the means so I'd ask a mate to keep the bikes for a while and get something brick built. I used reclaimed brick and it looks quite nice.
    The property market is what it is, and I need to move due to work. We looked at a £1m terrace house in central York last week that had a back yard so small I would have struggled to squeeze a bin store in.

Longer term I might need to ride it out and be bike less for a while. The house we are interested in had a garage, but that was then demolished to make space for a whacking kitchen diner extension. I have chopped and changed bikes a lot over the past two years so ideally want to hang on to the one I have, otherwise it will be hard to justify getting another one to my wife. I have been here before with classic cars that have made way to finance new kitchens etc.

Anyway, this might tuck in out of the way and seems to avoid the long Asgard lead times:

https://www.safetrade247.co.uk/kdc-m...SABEgJ4CvD_BwE

Master
    Another option to consider is Tri Metals https://www.trimetals.co.uk/product/motorcycle-garage
    But the Asgard ones are great a mate has just sold one as he is moving, and it impressed me how well built it was.

Blog Entries
    I guess you have already tried to find a garage for rent nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

I think I'd agree with this.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Asgard big shed owner here too and fitted by them. It's a very impressive bit of kit. They take ages to be available to install, but when they do, it's a proper job.