closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega price rises

Omega price rises

Couldn’t find any other mention of this but have been told increase on 1st September. Didn’t ask how much by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently there are some energy price rises happening too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Apparently there are some energy price rises happening too.
    Yep, that's why all products and services are having price rises. And why we're going to have the biggest recession in recorded history. And probably the longest lasting.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Couldn’t find any other mention of this but have been told increase on 1st September. Didn’t ask how much by.
    Must be why they have delayed the delivery of the “new” models.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Must be why they have delayed the delivery of the “new” models.
    could be. No sign of the Deep Sea.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

They could ask what they like for the latest Snoopy and people will buy all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Yep, that's why all products and services are having price rises. And why we're going to have the biggest recession in recorded history. And probably the longest lasting.

YOLO. Spunk £5k on a Speedy. Keeping warm in the winter is overrated.

Master
    Can confirm this is the case. I've been told from 1 Sept there is a price rise across the entire range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    YOLO. Spunk £5k on a Speedy. Keeping warm in the winter is overrated.
    It is in summer. In winter it'll be a bit underrated. I may need others to spunk on my omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    They could ask what they like for the latest Snoopy and people will buy all day long.
    2 years and counting on the waiting list for me?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Feels like madness in the current climate. Make your niche product available to even fewer people

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    could be. No sign of the Deep Sea.
    Which Swiss Watches Direct were/are offering at a 15% discount to the “original” RRP which was never applicable before they squeezed in an increase!

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post

I’ve heard the same. Annoying but this has been the direction of travel for omega over the last 3 years as we all know.

11% I'd imagine given inflation. Anything less is essentially a price decrease.

Edit French prices increasing 8%. No idea on UK yet but got to be similar ballpark
    Last edited by ryanb741; 27th August 2022 at 04:41.

8% makes the sapphire/ sandwich Speedy just shy of £7k. Ouch

Master
    I’ve just ordered an IWC to beat any Sept. price rise - if there is one - which there may not be of course….

Interesting to see where the hesalite version comes in. North of £6k if 8% is right. Big change from where it was a few years ago.

Hmm no longer the ‘budget alternative’ to Rolex so…. On one hand the technology and finishing are on par with the big crown so in fairness probably not unreasonable to match entry prices

Master
    I’ve just been told the Planet Ocean is going up to £6100 so not a massive increase on that particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I’ve just been told the Planet Ocean is going up to £6100 so not a massive increase on that particular model.
    5% in that case

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    2 years and counting on the waiting list for me?

On the bright side, you could be protected from the price increases at least. Current list price is £8610 but I still paid £8250 when I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    5% in that case
    Yep, I don’t know if it’s the same % across the board or varies by model.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know how much the Seamaster/AT range will increase?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Which Swiss Watches Direct were/are offering at a 15% discount to the “original” RRP which was never applicable before they squeezed in an increase!
    I did look at them - but had a long wait time (months last time I looked) - I need to see one of for size before buying as well. I may use SWD if “discount” available

Went shopping today for a watch for my daughter's graduation next year. Thought I'd beat the Omega price rise but absolutely nothing in their lady's range sang out to me or SWMBO. So, we opted for a beautiful Tudor watch (Royal with the smoky blue diamond dot dial) instead which I know she'll love.

Seems like the Speedy Pro will have a fairly hefty price increase however it looks like this will be accompanied with the micro adjustable clasp finally being provided as standard.

Question

Anyone know the increase on the Calibre 321 please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Anyone know the increase on the Calibre 321 please?
    One of those has been languishing on SC for ages. Priced too high to begin with and still a bit too rich.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    One of those has been languishing on SC for ages. Priced too high to begin with and still a bit too rich.
    Ah, really? The Ed White 321? Had a look quickly and couldn’t see anything just now 🤷🏻*♂️

I don't think there is a 321 on SC since Kash sold his.

Omega price rises

I think you’ve confused the sapphire sandwich 3861 that’s been on SC for a while, with a 321.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I think you’ve confused the sapphire sandwich 3861 that’s been on SC for a while, with a 321.

Looks that way. Am sure I would have noticed a 321…..or at least hope that I would! 🤦🏼*♂️

Looks like there was a big Omega press get together with George Clooney in attendance yesterday.

I’m sure they unveiled some new stuff…the Fratellos and Hodinkees of the world reportedly in attendance.

I doubt they held an event just to announce a price rise.

Master

You’re right, my mistake.

You’re right, my mistake.
    Easy one to make! Despite the £10k value difference

Master
    Easy one to make! Despite the £10k value difference

I saw this thread title yesterday and even without clicking on it I thought to myself I’ll never buy another Omega again. In truth I was only ever interested in Speedmasters and ended up with both an 1861 at a good AD discount and a 1861 at last year’s RRP. Iconic watches but only worthwhile at realistic SC prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    Interesting to see where the hesalite version comes in. North of £6k if 8% is right. Big change from where it was a few years ago.

My Hesalite Speedmaster was priced at £3250 when I bought it almost exactly 4 years ago (31AUG18) and I was able to get 20% off that quite readily with a recommendation from a member here to the AD. How times have changed & how quickly...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Does the current one not have some technical upgrades? Granted not 3K in upgrades …….
    correct.

Master
    I think omega sit along side Rolex easily with case design and finishing, bracelet design and finishing, clasp design and finishing. They are probably ahead from a movement perspective. Have just as iconic watches (arguably). Lots of advancement in their products. The price needs to reflect this. Sadly many are used to the days of far cheaper omega watches. The brand has been for many years raising its quality and price to make it a more premium brand and k think it’s deserved.

Master
    Does the current one not have some technical upgrades? Granted not 3K in upgrades …….
    It does indeed, I'm not sure that the upgrades warrant the new prices though. Omega pricing has risen very steeply in the last couple of years, to a point where their value against other, more expensive, brands is now questionable.
    I found myself nodding wisely recently when Pete McConvill was theorising that Rolex are trying to position themselves as the new Patek, Omega are scrambling to place themselves where Rolex were & Tudor are fast becoming the quality / value proposition that Omega used to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    It does indeed, I'm not sure that the upgrades warrant the new prices though. Omega pricing has risen very steeply in the last couple of years, to a point where their value against other, more expensive, brands is now questionable.
    I found myself nodding wisely recently when Pete McConvill was theorising that Rolex are trying to position themselves as the new Patek, Omega are scrambling to place themselves where Rolex were & Tudor are fast becoming the quality / value proposition that Omega used to be.
    Sounds logical to some degree. But how can Rolex position themselves at where Patek sit when they are made in such numbers? Perhaps they can, given demand is so high? But I struggle to see that.

Craftsman
    I found myself nodding wisely recently when Pete McConvill was theorising that Rolex are trying to position themselves as the new Patek, .
    Submariner date £8500. Aquanaut £20500

Funny way for Rolex to position themselves as the new Patek.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Submariner date £8500. Aquanaut £20500

Funny way for Rolex to position themselves as the new Patek.
    Don't shoot the messenger! Of course it's an inexact model. As another poster said, Rolex & PP make very different types of watches in very different numbers. It is, perhaps, illustrative of where the brands see themselves, both individually and relative to each other.
    If Rolex can move up to be level with AP, PP etc, all of the other brands might be thinking they can also pull themselves up another rung on the ladder.
    By hook or by crook, Rolex has achieved a level of exclusivity. If you can find one of their pieces at list they are very good value - Rolex could probably raise the prices & still have a demand for the watches.
    That, in the minds of the CEOs of the other brands in Rolex's orbit, & of the general public, creates a space for Omega to move up, more or less into the position Rolex were in.
    If Omega move up, Tudor might reasonably think they could move up into their old space & so on...
    A lot of this is driven by perception by the paying public of the brands, both individually & in relation to each other. A lot also depends on the products that the brands are making. As noted above, the current Rolex offerings do not sit well in the PP space but are Rolex brave enough to embark on a design journey radical enough to produce watches that do?
    I'm no expert & you can write what I really understand about the deeper machinations of the industry on the back of a stamp with a 4" brush, but price rises & new technological developments from many brands do seem to imply that a-change is gonna come...

Rolex make a million watches a year. Patek a fraction of that. Put a modern Rolex next to a modern Omega and you won't see any difference in quality in favour of the Rolex. Put a modern Patek next to a modern Omega and the difference in finishing and refinement will be obvious.

So for Rolex to compete with Patek means competing on an exclusivity basis which will mean vastly lowering sales volumes, significantly increasing prices and significantly increasing quality.

Just ain't gonna happen as it would be commercial suicide.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Rolex make a million watches a year. Patek a fraction of that. Put a modern Rolex next to a modern Omega and you won't see any difference in quality in favour of the Rolex. Put a modern Patek next to a modern Omega and the difference in finishing and refinement will be obvious.

So for Rolex to compete with Patek means competing on an exclusivity basis which will mean vastly lowering sales volumes, significantly increasing prices and significantly increasing quality.

Just ain't gonna happen as it would be commercial suicide.
    Thanks for the clarification. Where do you think that leaves, for example, Omega & Tudor? Are Omega simply charging more because of the technical improvements in their current offerings or because they think that the buying public associate higher cost with higher quality & status, or both of these?
    Are Tudor in a position to capitalise on having a high quality range (mostly) readily available at very competitive prices?
    If they are, did they work for it or was it good luck?

Master
    Thanks for the clarification. Where do you think that leaves, for example, Omega & Tudor? Are Omega simply charging more because of the technical improvements in their current offerings or because they think that the buying public associate higher cost with higher quality & status, or both of these?
    Are Tudor in a position to capitalise on having a high quality range (mostly) readily available at very competitive prices?
    I think if Tudor didn’t have the association with Rolex they would struggle like all the other brands grabbing for market share at that price point. Omega both points above make sense and apply in my opinion.

Omega fit and finish as well as movement innovation is superior to Tudor but not 2x Superior IMHO to justify the price differential. Tudor is probably the best bang for buck in the luxury watch market (I'd add the 9F Grand Seikos to that value bracket also) and they have some stand out designs too. I think the association with Rolex is a positive and a negative- they used to be seen as the 'poor man's Rolex' however the aforementioned clear design identity means sensible buyers will realise they produce unique watches and benefit from Rolex quality in the manufacturing process.

So I think that has helped them as well as the price point and balance of quality to cost. You can get a BB58 for less than £3k or a Pelagos for just over. Both are all the diver you'd ever need and that's powerful when you see what Breitling, Tag etc offer in those price ranges.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 28th August 2022 at 19:32.

Master
    Don't shoot the messenger! Of course it's an inexact model. As another poster said, Rolex & PP make very different types of watches in very different numbers. It is, perhaps, illustrative of where the brands see themselves, both individually and relative to each other.
    If Rolex can move up to be level with AP, PP etc, all of the other brands might be thinking they can also pull themselves up another rung on the ladder.
    By hook or by crook, Rolex has achieved a level of exclusivity. If you can find one of their pieces at list they are very good value - Rolex could probably raise the prices & still have a demand for the watches.
    That, in the minds of the CEOs of the other brands in Rolex's orbit, & of the general public, creates a space for Omega to move up, more or less into the position Rolex were in.
    If Omega move up, Tudor might reasonably think they could move up into their old space & so on...
    A lot of this is driven by perception by the paying public of the brands, both individually & in relation to each other. A lot also depends on the products that the brands are making. As noted above, the current Rolex offerings do not sit well in the PP space but are Rolex brave enough to embark on a design journey radical enough to produce watches that do?
    I'm no expert & you can write what I really understand about the deeper machinations of the industry on the back of a stamp with a 4" brush, but price rises & new technological developments from many brands do seem to imply that a-change is gonna come...
    Rolex don’t need to move up to the next level. Rolex do what they do better than anyone. Like them or not, they have name recognition, the sales and desirability all over the world. It’s the watch that people in the main aspire to.

As Ryan said, Rolex make around 1 million watches a year, PP around 65,000 and AP around 45,000. So different market. Also those brands price points start at maybe 3x or 4x more.

Master
    Being associated with Rolex helps but I cant think of any other brand that offers what Tudor does at its price point.
    I think that was once the case but now bremont, oris, some tag models are all offering similar vfm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I think that was once the case but now bremont, oris, some tag models are all offering similar vfm.
    Breitling maybe, (not a sure) for the same RRP as Tudor only ETA.

Oris - in house movement I think the same price. But their ETA/ Sellita not far off Tudor REP.

Tag all Sellita and divers just below Tudor RRP.

Bremont again Sellita and higher price I think that Tudor.

Now the in-house/ Sellita/ ETA argument has is pros & cons. But you cannot argue with the VFM on what Tudor offer with their in house (Kinesse) divers. Power reserve etc.

Yes Swatch group offer 70 & 80hrs at a much lower price and also lower VPH.