closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tesla battery renewal costs ?

Tesla battery renewal costs ?

I was talking to a friend today who knows someone with a 6 or 7 year old Model S in the UK, he isent sure of the mileage.

The batteries are DEAD but fortunately the owner took out an extended warranty so Tesla will be replacing them, the cost of the batteries £50,000 (£50K) wow..............!!!

I’m calling bulls**t!

As the battery is made up of many individual cells, the chances of them all failing at once is almost infinitely small.

Craftsman
    I heard about a for repair Tesla bought at auction and the battery had been taken out. Cost of a new one was £16000!

Master
    Shows the value of extended warranty, or just get a car with a good old fashioned petrol engine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAhwiQ95Wg

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

Don't think there is such a thing as an extended warranty on Tesla anymore.

Not to buy anyway, they'll of course honour anything previously sold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m calling bulls**t!

As the battery is made up of many individual cells, the chances of them all failing at once is almost infinitely small.
    I dont think Tesla would be repairing the damaged cells though. There are third party companies that will but I think if going back to Tesla they would just replace the whole battery pack.

Having said that even with recent battery costs increasing which is currently a massive issue for manufacturers, I don't see a replacement being £50k even with main dealer labour costs included.

Master
    Replaced an ev battery in a Kia in 3 hours ish, first time change so may be quicker when the procedure was practiced, 50k seems dear even for Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I dont think Tesla would be repairing the damaged cells though. There are third party companies that will but I think if going back to Tesla they would just replace the whole battery pack.

Having said that even with recent battery costs increasing which is currently a massive issue for manufacturers, I don't see a replacement being £50k even with main dealer labour costs included.
    My point being that to be dead, all of the cells (or at least a significant majority) must have failed. That is most unlikely to have happened.

It’s also another case of REO Speedwagon…

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another….

[QUOTE=Dave+63;6054208]My point being that to be dead, all of the cells (or at least a significant majority) must have failed. That is most unlikely to have happened.

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another….[/QUOTE]

The friend who told me heard it from the owner so there wasent a chain :)

It's bull***t.

From the Tesla website about battery warranty:

8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

So unless it's done galactic miles it is still covered. Most petrol cars that have done 150,000 miles would be dead as well, it's just more electric car misinformation.

[QUOTE=TheTigerUK;6054227]
    My point being that to be dead, all of the cells (or at least a significant majority) must have failed. That is most unlikely to have happened.

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another….[/QUOTE]

The friend who told me heard it from the owner so there wasent a chain :)
    It’s still just hearsay; what evidence or personal knowledge do you have?

It’s pure EV scaremongering.

[QUOTE=Dave+63;6054253]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

It’s still just hearsay; what evidence or personal knowledge do you have?

It’s pure EV scaremongering.
    None

My friend is a member on here so hopefully he will chip in with his personnel knowledge :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    John,

Give it 5 years and China will have replacement electric car batteries.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/sp/...ity-by-region/
    Last edited by Bry1975; 26th August 2022 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    John,

Give it 5 years and China will have replacement electric car batteries.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/sp/...ity-by-region/
    Slight issue though as there might not be enough lithium to go round? I also thought that replacing lithium with sodium was in the cards, maybe not the same density as lithium but easier to find.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    Most petrol cars that have done 150,000 miles would be dead as well, it's just more electric car misinformation.
    Rubbish a well maintained car is capable of 100’s of 1000’s of miles , over here the attitude is that 100k and the car is worthless, in the US that’s considered nothing and 400-500k is common

It’s not misinformation there are many cases on the internet of model s cars requiring new batteries at 8 years or younger plenty on YouTube ie Hoovies garage and the famous case of the chap who blew his up as Tesla refused to contribute towards a new battery, it happens, as to the £50k battery claim considering what parts Tesla consider requiring replacement at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised since they won’t mess around with splitting packs but will replace the whole unit

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another….
    I think the car throws some codes and pronounces itself dead even if only a relatively few cells fail, there’s a guy on YouTube’Rich rebuilds’ that has gone into the dead Tesla battery debacle in some detail.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    It's bull***t.

From the Tesla website about battery warranty:

8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

So unless it's done galactic miles it is still covered. Most petrol cars that have done 150,000 miles would be dead as well, it's just more electric car misinformation.
    My wife now drives my ex taxi. It’s an E Class with 148K on it and it still drives superb, and 135K as a taxi is hard mileage. It’s on the original turbo, starter motor, alternator, DPF etc,etc,etc. The only things that have failed on it have been electric based. A couple of nox sensors, self levelling suspension sensor and an electronic unit on the back of the headlight. Oh and it’s had a ball joint replaced. That’s it.

I read in the Daily Mail online Motoring section yesterday that the battery is 60% of the cost of building an electric car.

Master
    I was in a taxi one night (Toyota Avensis) with 350k on the clock. 100k is nothing anymore

Master
    ‘My mate who has an EV has just needed its battery replacing and it costs £zillion to replace’ is the new internets throw away line instead of the ‘My mates BMW 320i needed a new engine, and BMW said it would have cost him £20k’…

All cars need maintenance, all EVs ask is that you don’t let them go completely flat as any battery doesn’t like that. There are EVs out there that for whatever reason have been left to languish unused (for months or years) and the battery has been damaged as a result, but an EV being used won’t suffer that fate. Some do develop faults of course, same as some engines etc.

There’s a very good YouTube guy in Norway who has extensive experience of driving and testing EVs, he did a video on a 7 year old Model S and the battery was holding up very well despite the age and mileage.

https://youtu.be/m9VxDzr7prc

He’s also done a few degradation tests with other older EVs, and by and large they’re all doing ok and still very usable vehicles.

There’s so much misinformation, myth and urban legend around EVs. They’re not perfect, far from it, but I’m still not sure why they get such a hard time from some quarters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I read in the Daily Mail online Motoring section yesterday that the battery is 60% of the cost of building an electric car.
    60% is very high, industry websites and statista have it at more like 30-40% currently, and that’s forecast to drop to 19% by 2030, Ukraine and other world issues aside.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-vehicle-cost/

I suspect that latter figure would compare well to the cost of the engine in a similar size and performance petrol or diesel car, especially if you factor in the Billions of pounds in development costs sunk into most modern engine designs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    There’s a very good YouTube guy in Norway who has extensive experience of driving and testing EVs, he did a video on a 7 year old Model S and the battery was holding up very well despite the age and mileage.
    There’s another Norwegian guy on YouTube who blew up a Tesla (deliberately) after not wanting to pay the €20K out of warranty battery replacement cost when his died - Think it was possibly due to water damage reading a few articles. €20K sounds about right I suppose which undoubtedly come down long term as battery tech develops and aftermarket solutions arrive.

Master
    I wouldn’t be worrying about the battery as long as you are looking after it. Same as an ICE car getting regular servicing. How you look after it will play a large part in how well (and how long) it will run reliably.

https://insideevs.com/news/559261/te...ilometers/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Our i3 is coming up to 8 years old and the battery has maybe lost 5% of its original range. Apart from (cheap) servicing the only thing I’ve had to replace was the standard battery (ironic given the thread!) at a cost of 65 quid and a tenner to get it coded in. I think there’s a lot of scaremongering about EV batteries.

Well, I don’t want an electric car. I’m sticking with petrol, which at my age will probably see me out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Our i3 is coming up to 8 years old and the battery has maybe lost 5% of its original range. Apart from (cheap) servicing the only thing I’ve had to replace was the standard battery (ironic given the thread!) at a cost of 65 quid and a tenner to get it coded in. I think there’s a lot of scaremongering about EV batteries.
    Interesting comment on cheap servicing. I know nothing about EV servicing but noticed my local Audi dealer quoting "special" prices which were something like £500, £650 and £800 to service what were described as Stage 1/2/3 respectively. I walked away thinking that sounded expensive??

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Interesting comment on cheap servicing. I know nothing about EV servicing but noticed my local Audi dealer quoting "special" prices which were something like £500, £650 and £800 to service what were described as Stage 1/2/3 respectively. I walked away thinking that sounded expensive??
    EV servicing is a con. Ask them what they do and they’ll be struggling to give you a satisfactory reply.

It’s a battery and electric motor, there is nothing to service in the conventional sense. They will give a list of things that they check but an MOT test is more thorough and much cheaper.

If £500 or number 1 equates to a minor or interim service I'd say expensive for sure.

No oil change etc, so just brake fluid and. A check over. Last main dealer service was 150.

Minor service at Nissan for EV is £159 compared to £229 for petrol and £269 for diesel vehicles. As with watches, some manufacturers seem to be out to fleece their customers although the prices quoted earlier may be for hybrid servicing (but still sound steep).
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    First service on my E-tron would have been £299 at retail prices, it’s paid for by the lease company though and they were only charged £139.

Blog Entries
    Nearly two years and 30,000 miles and service costs for my Tesla M3P = £0.00

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Nearly two years and 30,000 miles and service costs for my Tesla M3P = £0.00

Pitch
    That's because the £70,000 purchase price for a £30,000 plastic car has paid for the servicing etc up front..... EV pricing is way over the top, as is conventional car pricing now. I am glad our car only has 160,000 on it, that will see us for another 10 or 12 years. I had a Volvo v40 (Renault engined one, the 1.9Td) I sold it to my bro-in-Law at 340,000 miles and he ran it daily for another 5 years and sold it on with over 450,000 on it. I bought a former taxi merc, C250 Elegance estate, 5 cylinder diesel - it had 884,000 on it when I bought it, we ran it for over 10 years and sold it for £995 with no haggle or waiting around when it had racked up 1,300,000 miles. The engineering was still excellent, but fuel consumption and the bodywork was appalling! It was like a 1980s Alfa, you could watch it turn brown if a cloud appeared on the horizon and I was lucky if I got 38 to the gallon on a long run. When road tax whent up to £250 that was the final straw - as far as we are concerned, not knowing the previous history, she went still on the original everything except front discs and we had to buy a new windscreen wiper motor, otherwise it was consumables only in all that time and miles. Current car is a 1.6 diesel VW Golf Estate, I have had over 82mpg on a long run down to Sutton Bridge, and got a bit better on the way back, 84.2mpg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    That's because the £70,000 purchase price for a £30,000 plastic car has paid for the servicing etc up front..... EV pricing is way over the top, as is conventional car pricing now. I am glad our car only has 160,000 on it, that will see us for another 10 or 12 years. I had a Volvo v40 (Renault engined one, the 1.9Td) I sold it to my bro-in-Law at 340,000 miles and he ran it daily for another 5 years and sold it on with over 450,000 on it. I bought a former taxi merc, C250 Elegance estate, 5 cylinder diesel - it had 884,000 on it when I bought it, we ran it for over 10 years and sold it for £995 with no haggle or waiting around when it had racked up 1,300,000 miles. The engineering was still excellent, but fuel consumption and the bodywork was appalling! It was like a 1980s Alfa, you could watch it turn brown if a cloud appeared on the horizon and I was lucky if I got 38 to the gallon on a long run. When road tax whent up to £250 that was the final straw - as far as we are concerned, not knowing the previous history, she went still on the original everything except front discs and we had to buy a new windscreen wiper motor, otherwise it was consumables only in all that time and miles. Current car is a 1.6 diesel VW Golf Estate, I have had over 82mpg on a long run down to Sutton Bridge, and got a bit better on the way back, 84.2mpg.

It depends what EV you are buying. I paid 33K for a brand new Skoda Enyaq 60 Suite Nav almost a year ago and I priced up a comparable Kodiaq (the Kodiaq being a little bit bigger) and a Karoq (the Karoq being a little bit smaller.
    Surprise surprise, the Kodiaq was £500 more expensive and the Karoq was a couple of grand cheaper.

Blog Entries

Beg to differ son and apples to apples come to mind. If I was in the market for a hack I would have one.

Compared to a similar priced new ICE car an EV makes complete sense. + if my wish was for a similar powered and performing guggler I would be spending twice as much and have to sell a kidney to run it.

Master
    Similar case was just in the news here locally. The official price quote from Tesla for a new battery was 13900e, which is more in line with what I'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Beg to differ son and apples to apples come to mind. If I was in the market for a hack I would have one.

Compared to a similar priced new ICE car an EV makes complete sense. + if my wish was for a similar powered and performing guggler I would be spending twice as much and have to sell a kidney to run it.
    None of them complete sense to us. We have never been in a position to buy a new car, we don't consider a 14 year old car a 'hack', when it is 24 years old I might agree. You obviously don't live in the same income bracket as 75% of the population. Credit isn't an option, PCP etc is a mugs game.

Master
    None of them complete sense to us. We have never been in a position to buy a new car, we don't consider a 14 year old car a 'hack', when it is 24 years old I might agree. You obviously don't live in the same income bracket as 75% of the population. Credit isn't an option, PCP etc is a mugs game.
    Just because YOU are not in a position to buy a new car, it doesn’t mean others aren’t, and if they are buying a new car and there is an EV car at a similar price, the EV is the better choice.
    I’ve just bought a 56 plate Honda Civic to run around it. I couldn’t care less if it gets dings in a supermarket car park as I bought it as a cheap runaround.
    You seem to want to have a dig at people who are better off than you financially.

Its amazing how many people who don't understand EVs have owned ICE vehicles that have done xxxxxxxxxxx thousands of miles….i mean what are the chances.

Master
    They make a lot of sense if you can get an EV as a company car as the BIK rate is only 2%. We have 2, including a brand new, fully insured,taxed and maintained car for less than £200/month and under £4 to fully charge for >200 miles range in the case of my wife’s Renault Zoe. She had a 14 year old Fiesta before that which was barely any cheaper on an annualised basis once you factor in the running costs, depreciation, insurance, AA etc plus having a few £k tied up in it.
    Most EVs sold today are probably on similar car schemes, these should be affordable secondhand cars in the next few years.

Master
    PCP is a form of credit, no more of a ‘mugs game’ than credit as you term it.

I think the point Pitch was making was that if you’re comparing a new car ICE vs EV and they’re a similar power and size etc, then the EV offering is quite compelling.

If you’re merely comparing the capital costs of a new car versus an old ‘hack’ then the latter will always win out on a cost per mile basis, but it’s a bit of a pointless comparison unless you’re for some bizarre reason considering spending £65k on a performance car or keeping an old clunker running.

Blog Entries
    Sorry fella, never meant to offend.

I have not purchased mine, it’s a company car which is leased and it does make huge sense for both the business and myself personally.

Today we drove 20 miles to Norwich with the car on 80%. We were parked for 5ish hours with free charging in the multi storey and added 17kW that’s approx 60 free fuel miles. It is quite normal to nab free charging locally.

There are real benefits

Ta

Pitch

If you're lucky and whats causing the Tesla's dead battery is one or two modules only - easily checked with diagnostic tools -
    The modules are @ £700 each - but a pain in the bum to replace if you can find somewhere to do it

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Tesla battery renewal costs ?

Not sure how true the quote is, but if it’s true, then the battery replacement cost is shocking on an EV.

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 4th September 2022 at 21:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Not sure how true the quote is, but if it’s true, then the battery replacement cost is shocking on an EV.

B
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/f...id/7935230001/

But the dealership’s estimate is authentic, as confirmed by the dealership's service director. While the steep battery cost isn't typical of other electric vehicles, the price of some batteries can still be thousands of dollars.

The battery was expensive in this case because it was discontinued and had to be bought at a high cost from a third-party supplier.
    The average cost of a replacement battery in an electric vehicle is about $6,300, Bloomberg reported, though that price can higher depending on the vehicle in question. The battery in a 2018 Ford C-Max Hybrid, for instance, costs about $6,000, while the battery in a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E costs about $20,000, Jason Siegel, a mechanical engineering research scientist at the University of Michigan, told USA TODAY.