closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £2800 for a black bay ceramic?

Master

£2800 for a black bay ceramic?

I posted this wrongly on SC, because I’m an idiot and using the app for the first time had discombobulated me.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...83#post6052883

Just got a message from a friend, the one looking for an FXD. He’s just seen a new Black Bay Ceramic, in a UK high street dealer, brand new stickered, but missing it’s warranty card, so sold as pre-owned with a one year shop warranty, It’s £2800, retail is £3840, grey seems to be £3600 ish. Used 3.3 ish.

Would you go for it? I said I’m not sure, the 5yr warranty would be really nice, but 1k ish nice? I dunno…

Master
    I think its a good deal. If anything goes wrong right away then you have 12 months warranty. Chances of any issues after that I would think are slim and you have £500-£1000 in the bank to deal with any work that may be needed. Worth the risk I think.
    On the other hand if he wants an FXD and is only liking this as it seems cheap then maybe not.

Master
    He wanted the Ceramic. The FXD was my bad influence :)

They are holding it for an hour while he grabs a coffee and decides. I’ve said I think I’d go for it, these days £700 cash is a lot if you just want to keep it, I also think with a sob story Tudor might be nice if there is a serious problem in the future,

If he intends to keep it as you say, then it sounds a good deal, especially if the seller is a High Street chain.

Just think how many on here would wet themselves if they were offered a Daytona or a GMT below list because the card was missing. The watch would be sold in seconds.

I think it’s a decent deal but you should push the price harder just in case. We all buy watches thinking they’re a no brainer / a keeper until something else comes along and we want to sell / trade. It’s definitely easier to sell a watch with all the bits, pieces and papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If he intends to keep it as you say, then it sounds a good deal, especially if the seller is a High Street chain.

Just think how many on here would wet themselves if they were offered a Daytona or a GMT below list because the card was missing. The watch would be sold in seconds.
    That’s a really good way to put it! So I plagiarised you in my latest reply to him 😂 I’m also convinced - seeing as it’s from the original AD, not grey - that if he had a problem and was nice enough with Tudor, they’d help. Probably naive of me, but you never know!

Master
    Does this Tudor come with both straps? If so, I reckon it would be a good deal, if he likes the watch. Warranty cards play a big deal in the resale of Rolex watches, but perhaps less important for other brands. The receipt etc will provide the providence.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Is this from one of Ernest Jones outlet shops by any chance? If so, just make sure it’s got the correct box also. You can sometimes get some decent deals in their outlet, and they always seem to give the story that they are returns or shop soiled.
    Generally from what I’ve seen they are in almost perfect condition, but there have been numerous I’ve enquired about only to find no box or papers… or a completely wrong box.

Might be another haggling point.

Master
    He can’t haggle them down, it’s the right box, manual, hang tag. Just missing the warranty card.

I think he’ll go for it…

Master
    Oh it’s a normal EJ store, not outlet,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Does this Tudor come with both straps? If so, I reckon it would be a good deal, if he likes the watch. Warranty cards play a big deal in the resale of Rolex watches, but perhaps less important for other brands. The receipt etc will provide the providence.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep, the NATO is there and sealed.

Master
    Is he likely to keep it long term, or flip after a while?
    If the former, then why not go for it. But if he’s likely to flip, he will probably still take a hit on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Is he likely to keep it long term, or flip after a while?
    If the former, then why not go for it. But if he’s likely to flip, he will probably still take a hit on it.
    Keeper, he just wanted a nice watch! Always looked at the black bay dark, then the ceramic, I distracted him with the Pelagos FXD. He’d have happily paid full price for the ceramic, but was struggling to find one (at £3860).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Keeper, he just wanted a nice watch! Always looked at the black bay dark, then the ceramic, I distracted him with the Pelagos FXD. He’d have happily paid full price for the ceramic, but was struggling to find one (at £3860).
    Given all that, I don't really see how he could refuse the deal.

I see mention of the shop warranty, why would Tudor's original warranty not remain valid?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Given all that, I don't really see how he could refuse the deal.

I see mention of the shop warranty, why would Tudor's original warranty not remain valid?

I think you ask a really good question (he bought it btw, I'll get to see it tomorrow). Ernest Jones did not say there was no warranty, they said it comes with their 12 month pre-owned warranty and there was no Tudor warranty card. But the Tudor warranty details is vague. It stresses on the website that it is linked to the watch, not the owner, and I can't find any definite details if you need the card. This model hasn't even existed for the length of the five year warranty, so it's not like there is any doubt it is new enough.

Having said that, I think Tudor's get their warranty activated by an AD when they are purchased? So there is no yes or no if that has happened here. In defence of EJ the branch didn't sell Tudor, so it's fair enough they were not being committed to anything.

But I am genuinely interested in what the warranty thing, this is from an AD, it is not 'grey', it doesn't have the card (which in this case is a fancy NFC metas thing), so will Tudor honour a warranty problem or not? Perhaps I should start a thread!

Master
    My gut and limited experience makes me believe Tudor would honour the original warranty, as long as there was no evidence of 3rd party tampering. The latter subject was covered in a recent thread about an eBay purchase a forum member made. Perhaps more experienced members may clarify the likely position here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    My gut and limited experience makes me believe Tudor would honour the original warranty, as long as there was no evidence of 3rd party tampering. The latter subject was covered in a recent thread about an eBay purchase a forum member made. Perhaps more experienced members may clarify the likely position here.

I found a WUS thread where someone had a photo of the warrant card page, saying you needed the card, and receipt from an AD. So this will have half of that. I'd hope a very nice worded letter if it needed warranty repair might get Tudor to be nice :)

Master
    I also found a video from Tudor of the BB Ceramic that made a very clear statement "“a five year transferable guarantee with no registration and no periodic checks required”. I'd hope, if not grey (that this isn't) they'd honour the warranty.