closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Isle of Wight - Suggestions

Master

Isle of Wight - Suggestions

Apart form stay out of the sea - thank you sewage - any suggestions on things to do. I've visited before, but last time was 15 years ago. My family are a mix of ages and interests, teen, tween and baby so nightlife not a concern. I'm particularly interested in:

Good food - sea food especially.
    Booze - I've booked a visit to the Isle of Wight Distillery.
    Boating - possibly hiring a dingy with my boy or else a more leisurely trip on something bigger with someone else at helm.
    For the wife and kids - a beach with minimal human waste.

I'll be staying near Cowes.

Craftsman
    Osborne House and Carissbrook Castle are worth a look .How about booking a sea fishing trip?

I've not been, but I've read great reviews of https://thehutcolwell.co.uk/food-drink
    ______

​Jim.

Blacksmiths Pub on Calbourne Road Newport for hearty good value pub food.

Smoking Lobster Ventnor for Seafood but not particularly cheap but great location.

Toni’s coffee shop Ventnor

The Bonchurch Inn for great Lasange.

Tradewinds between Shanklin & Sandown for light lunch or snack.

Drive along military road for great views!

Route fifty seven bike hire Shanklin.
    Last edited by Snoodles; 24th August 2022 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I've not been, but I've read great reviews of https://thehutcolwell.co.uk/food-drink
    The Hut is good if a bit noisy. Booking is usually essential.

Needles Pleasure Cruises go from Yarmouth.

Decades since I last was there (business, not pleasure), but back then the best thing you could do with the Pisle of Shight was tow it further out to sea and sink it...

Now someone's sure to tell me it's become Britain's trendiest holiday destination, and is no-longer a decrepit 1950s timewarp exclusively peopled by the nearly-dead and accessible only by the World's most overpriced ferry service...?

I'll see myself out...

Master
    Thanks all for the useful suggestions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Now someone's sure to tell me it's become Britain's trendiest holiday destination, and is no-longer a decrepit 1950s timewarp exclusively peopled by the nearly-dead and accessible only by the World's most overpriced ferry service...?
    It's now reached the mid-70's, great place for a proper bucket and spade holiday especially love the penny fountain machines on Sandown Pier.

Master
    A wander around Yarmouth followed by lunch in the the garden on The George.

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/ Best to try and book a table should you fancy a bite to eat around lunchtime as it does get very busy.

https://iwsteamrailway.co.uk/ You can spend a very enjoyable few hours here, again you might need to book if you want a trip on the ChuffChuff

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    A wander around Yarmouth followed by lunch in the the garden on The George.
    Ownership changed a few years ago. The George is not what it was. They could have got their act together, but there was a marked drop in quality and service when it was taken over. It used to be worth catching the ferry from Lymington just to get a nice meal.

The battery at The Needles is well worth a visit. Probably the best thing on the island. Unless you're a paraglider pilot; Brightstone is a lovely site.

Not seafood as such…

The Cow at Tapnell Farm
    On the Rocks (Yarmouth) which does meat and fish - loved it there !!

italian which used to be in Yarmouth has moved to Newport ( Da Vinci ) - enjoyed the food there as well !

If you like rum try the solent sprit sold at On the Rocks and is sold in the local corner shop in Yarmouth.
    Now my favourite spiced rum.

cheers

matt

Craftsman
    Lol a mate had to work over there for a couple of weeks. He was chatting to His co worker who mentioned He had never been abroad. My mate says well I expect there’s loads of people who have never been abroad. No says the co worker. I mean I’ve never been off the Isle of Wight!!!

The Dinosaur Museum is really good - the kids will love it.

Blackgang Chine had mostly fallen into the sea the last time I went.
    So clever my foot fell off.

There's the National Poo Museum too, although I haven't been yet. https://poomuseum.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    There's the National Poo Museum too, although I haven't been yet. https://poomuseum.org/
    Is that on the beach nowadays?

Sorry…I’ll get my coat!

Master
    We got back today after a fun trip.

Tradewinds was great. Lovely location and the kids loved the waves afterwards. Kids also enjoyed the beach at Fresh Water. No sewage at either.

Yarmouth was lovely and while our lunch by the pier wasn't the best the view compensated for it.

The Isle of Wight Distillery was far more salubrious. A tasty Vesper Martini followed by an enjoyable pub lunch. I came home a bottle of HMS Victory navy strength gin.

The battery at The Needles was definitely worth visiting. Great views and interesting history.

Our best meal was lunch at The North House in Cowes. Excellent!

The IoW does have a bit of a time warp vibe, and it might be all the Vespas, but we enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    We got back today after a fun trip.

Tradewinds was great. Lovely location and the kids loved the waves afterwards. Kids also enjoyed the beach at Fresh Water. No sewage at either.

Yarmouth was lovely and while our lunch by the pier wasn't the best the view compensated for it.

The Isle of Wight Distillery was far more salubrious. A tasty Vesper Martini followed by an enjoyable pub lunch. I came home a bottle of HMS Victory navy strength gin.

The battery at The Needles was definitely worth visiting. Great views and interesting history.

Our best meal was lunch at The North House in Cowes. Excellent!

The IoW does have a bit of a time warp vibe, and it might be all the Vespas, but we enjoyed it.
    I must try The North House. The chef there, Robert Thompson, is IMHO top notch. He used to have his own place in Newport IW but it closed during the lockdowns. Anyway glad you had good time.

Isle of Wight Blue is one of the greatest cheeses known to man.
    "A man of little significance"