closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: sending a 3K watch to the Netherlands

sending a 3K watch to the Netherlands

ok so what are my options for safe sending

Blog Entries
    RM Airmail, Fedex, DHL, or the decent courier of your choice, all at basic compensation level. All with added third party insurance from the likes of Secursus or IFS Inforsure.

Craftsman
    I did exactly this (Tudor GMT) about 18 months ago. Used Royal Mail and insured with Secursus. Took pictures and videos of absolutely everything at each stage of packaging the watch to be safe.

Took a while, but made it there safely and was a satisfactory deal. Secursus were very good to deal with. You get no tracking data when it hits NL and there was a delay of several weeks to delivery, so I was in touch with them preparing to make a claim. In the end that wasn't necessary, so sorry can't really give a confident assessment of what they are like with claims.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I did exactly this (Tudor GMT) about 18 months ago. Used Royal Mail and insured with Secursus. Took pictures and videos of absolutely everything at each stage of packaging the watch to be safe.

Took a while, but made it there safely and was a satisfactory deal. Secursus were very good to deal with. You get no tracking data when it hits NL and there was a delay of several weeks to delivery, so I was in touch with them preparing to make a claim. In the end that wasn't necessary, so sorry can't really give a confident assessment of what they are like with claims.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Ironically I did exactly the same on the same watch, except I used TNT (FedEx).

Watch arrived safe and sound with full tracking throughout.

For description with TNT I put “stainless steel measuring tool” value £50. Obviously with Secursus it was insured for the full value.

Again no problem with any of it but I’ve no experience in how they handle a claim if it goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Here are the guidelines from secursus for "how to ship a watch". All seems very good advise:

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/resou...-ship-a-watch/

I've used Parcel2Go to get good postage rates

You need a "certificate of sale between 2 individuals" and there are pro forma you can use off the internet or make one yourself - it just needs to show the buyer and seller details, the item details and they both agree on the purchase price.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th August 2022 at 12:48.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I wouldn’t use DHL. Packages with dhl went missing here.

Sending packages can take a long long time due to Dutch customs. Inform buyer to track the package to pay custom fare or he won’t receive it. It’ll stay at customs. All because of brexit.

It will come all right. Greetings from the Netherlands!

cheers guys ,i rather sell the pam in the UK but will see what the guys says

Good to read of others positive experiences.

I have just sent a watch to the Netherlands, but it seems to have 'arrived at customs', with PostNL not giving any updates and RM saying it's gone through customs, we are none the wiser.

I have asked the recipient to chase PostNL re customs clearing, but not sure what else to do!

Watch is insured with secursus

Thanks
    Chris

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toohuge View Post
    Good to read of others positive experiences.

I have just sent a watch to the Netherlands, but it seems to have 'arrived at customs', with PostNL not giving any updates and RM saying it's gone through customs, we are none the wiser.

I have asked the recipient to chase PostNL re customs clearing, but not sure what else to do!

Watch is insured with secursus

Thanks
    Chris
    That’s how it goes. He has to contact PostNL to get the details of customs in order to pay the customs fare. No payment, no package. You can’t contact customs yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    That’s how it goes. He has to contact PostNL to get the details of customs in order to pay the customs fare. No payment, no package. You can’t contact customs yourself.
    Presumably, as with inward items into the UK, PostNL will contact the recipient in due course to demand payment?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Presumably, as with inward items into the UK, PostNL will contact the recipient in due course to demand payment?
    No they won’t. If a package is located at Dutch customs, one has to contact PostNL themself. This is for packages coming from outside EU.

If I expect a package and it is located at Dutch Customs, I need to contact PostNL have them track the package (they see it’s at customs) to receive payment details for customs fare. Pay fare, package will be released from customs.

No they won’t. If a package is located at Dutch customs, one has to contact PostNL themself. This is for packages coming from outside EU.

If I expect a package and it is located at Dutch Customs, I need to contact PostNL have them track the package (they see it’s at customs) to receive payment details for customs fare. Pay fare, package will be released from customs.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

Ouch! And interesting. It seems to me that that could require a certain degree of psychic powers in some circumstances. I don't always know if or exactly when an international incoming package has hit customs or has been cleared by customs.

Over here, Royal Mail and Parcelforce always contact the recipient (card or envelope with payment instructions in the post) to actively demand their money.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 26th August 2022 at 10:28.

Master
    The first package i expected since brexit was at customs for 2 months. No message at all and no clue except that it was at customs (track n trace). I thought it’ll be released at some point. Not at all. Contacting postNL got me going… again, you can’t contact customs even if you see the package being over there.

Blog Entries
    The first package i expected since brexit was at customs for 2 months. No message at all and no clue except that it was at customs (track n trace). I thought it’ll be released at some point. Not at all. Contacting postNL got me going…
    Yikes!

Very interesting how things differ. Both Royal Mail and Parcelforce only keep an inward international item for two weeks (if I remember correctly) while waiting for payment. After that they send it back to wherever it came from.

again, you can’t contact customs even if you see the package being over there.
    Nor here. All communications are with the courier, whoever that is.

However, it is possible to contact customs retrospectively (actually the Border Force who are responsible on behalf of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs for collection of taxes at the border) if you think there has been an error, i.e. if you paid too much tax (or too little!).

I have to say this surprises me. In the past I always received a letter from PostNL asking me to pay the customs fare. These days they either send an email or a notification in the PostNL app. In any case I've never had to contact them myself. Unless of course loads of parcels were returned to the sender without me knowing. ;)

I’ve given up trying in NL since a nato strap (of all things) got held up in customs so long and I couldn’t track it through PostNL that eventually it all got sent back to the UK. I now don’t even bother trying to buy from the UK. Even if things do get through, the costs are unpredictable and often disproportionate. It’s saved me a lot of money on sales corner but it’s surely (more) evidence that Brexit was a stupid idea for trade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I have to say this surprises me. In the past I always received a letter from PostNL asking me to pay the customs fare. These days they either send an email or a notification in the PostNL app. In any case I've never had to contact them myself. Unless of course loads of parcels were returned to the sender without me knowing. ;)
    Now that is interesting. I never receive a message of PostNL to pay. I have to contact them myself…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    I’ve given up trying in NL since a nato strap (of all things) got held up in customs so long and I couldn’t track it through PostNL that eventually it all got sent back to the UK. I now don’t even bother trying to buy from the UK. Even if things do get through, the costs are unpredictable and often disproportionate. It’s saved me a lot of money on sales corner but it’s surely (more) evidence that Brexit was a stupid idea for trade.

That is so true. Last buy was 2nd hand small Dreadnought. They charged EUR 85! Bananas…

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    ok so what are my options for safe sending
    Buy my flight and I'll carry it for you. :)

Blog Entries
    At least in PT it’s fairly automatic. But the recipient needs to define the details of the package. It makes Xmas presents a bit of a non-suprise as you have to contact the sender for info. of what’s in the package. bhah-humbug.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th August 2022 at 15:46.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG