closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leon Edwards - NEW World Champion!

Leon Edwards - NEW World Champion!

After being dominated for four plus rounds by UFC Champion Kamaru Usman, out of nowhere the Manchester welterweight delivered a crushing leg kick to Usman's jaw that gave the belt to Edwards. Usman was out cold - one minute into the final round!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    After being dominated for four plus rounds by UFC Champion Kamaru Usman, out of nowhere the Manchester welterweight delivered a crushing leg kick to Usman's jaw that gave the belt to Edwards. Usman was out cold - one minute into the final round!

Cracking fight & up to the last round the Brit was losing, BOOM bring them belts home lad !

Don't watch it, but have to ask - what is a 'leg kick', if not a kick to the leg?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Don't watch it, but have to ask - what is a 'leg kick', if not a kick to the leg?
    You're right, I should have said head kick. Actually, Edwards' lower shin bone and ankle connected viciously with Usman's jaw and neck. Immediate lights out!

Usman was cruising toward a certain unanimous decision victory when he hit the mat.

You're right, I should have said head kick. Actually, Edwards' lower shin bone and ankle connected viciously with Usman's jaw and neck. Immediate lights out!
    Aah! I thought they had come up with some distinction

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Aah! I thought they had come up with some distinction
    Edwards is from Brum not Manchester.

Tremendous stuff. Rocky had his moments but was certainly on the wrong end of a decision until the beautiful set-up for that head kick. I love this sport, it's never over until the end of the final round.

Amazing stuff, just shows never give up, there as only one winner if it was going to the scorecards and that wasn’t Leon. True grit and throughly deserved, hopefully he gets the recognition his dedication warrants.

Craftsman
    Have to disagree with this. It was 3 rounds to 1 for Usman. But Edwards definitely won the first with a take down and back take. Couldn't get under the chin for a RNC but was Edwards round. The following three rounds were for Usman. But he didn't do anything significant or note worthy in terms of damage.

Craftsman
    Although I’m not a fan of wrestlers in the UFC, I felt for Usman. Losing his winning streak. Came so close to equalling Anderson Silva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great performance in actually taking Usman down in the first - and took his back.

Usman will be gutted to have got caught with Edwards most predictable (but very well executed!) combo. Has thrown it before and his left high kick from southpaw has always been a threat.

Great result.

In other news......... WTF was Rockhold doing at the end?

Jeez - gross.

Imagine having to explain that behaviour when next going on a date, or to prospective in-laws!

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Have to disagree with this. It was 3 rounds to 1 for Usman. But Edwards definitely won the first with a take down and back take. Couldn't get under the chin for a RNC but was Edwards round. The following three rounds were for Usman. But he didn't do anything significant or note worthy in terms of damage.
    Following the fourth round, all three judges reported identical scores of 39-37 Usman.

Craftsman
    Following the fourth round, all three judges reported identical scores of 39-37 Usman.
    I think that rather proves my point.
    R1 9-10 Edwards
    R2 10-9 Usman
    R3 10-9 Usman
    R4 10-9 Usman
    39 37
    As there were no dominant rounds (this would have resulted in a 10-8 score) I don't think Usman was close to a finish at any point and while Edwards didn't really get too close to the finish from the back, it was in my opinion closer to a finish than Usman got at any point.

https://youtu.be/-MKAcm6NfU4

Despite Usman being somewhat dismissive of the knockout, describing it as a Hail Mary, it was planned for and drilled endlessly. To my mind a Hail Mary is more going balls-out for the last 30 seconds or trying to throw up some mad submission. This wasn't that, there was a plan for a long set-up and Usman fell for it when his concentration was ebbing away in the final round when he "knew" he'd won the fight.

Oh, and forget the scorecards, if here's one thing that trumps the scorecards it's shin on chin!