closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How on earth do they calculate the load in a passenger plane ?

How on earth do they calculate the load in a passenger plane ?

I took a relative to the airport last week who was flying back to Australian she weighs 64 kilo, her luggage allowance was 30 kilo and 6 kilo of hand luggage so a total of 100 kilo (220lbs).

The guy standing next to her must of been 130 kilo plus all his luggage and he had a lot of luggage and this was repeated looking at the other passengers.

Do the airlines just take an average ? what difference would it make if all the passengers were on the very large size ?

The total weight must affect take off, landing, fuel use etc ?

Wouldn't it be better/safer if each passenger was allowed a total weight which was made up of body weight and luggage ?

Grand Master
    I refuel aircraft and so see the passengers boarding,youd think some should go in the hold!.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I took a relative to the airport last week who was flying back to Australian she weighs 64 kilo, her luggage allowance was 30 kilo and 6 kilo of hand luggage so a total of 100 kilo (220lbs).

The guy standing next to her must of been 130 kilo plus all his luggage and he had a lot of luggage and this was repeated looking at the other passengers.

Do the airlines just take an average ? what difference would it make if all the passengers were on the very large size ?

The total weight must affect take off, landing, fuel use etc ?

Wouldn't it be better/safer if each passenger was allowed a total weight which was made up of body weight and luggage ?
    I reckon that guy has used his allowance on his t*ts.

That would never work in a million years, overweight people tend to be incredibly private of their body weight and would never want it disclosed anywhere in any form. Not to staff, not on a form, not anywhere. They certainly would not want to be weighed and penalized, they would feel humiliated and angry.

Blog Entries
    "One at a time please" springs to mind...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The scanners at security estimate body weight.

Craftsman
    I've no idea how they judge the weight, but I remember a flight to Ambergris Cay in Belize where they weighed every passenger and their luggage!

Craftsman
    I can answer this being formerly airline staff.

It's a standard weight per passenger...though there is talk of increasing the weight as waistlines are on the increase.

Master
    This might be BS but back in college (studying Leisure and Tourism along with English language and literature - long way that got me) we did a tour of Manchester Airport. They told us that some check-in desks have scales at the head of the queue (hidden, of course) and other airlines have a 1-5 scoring system they use. It might have been nonsense but it's certainly stayed with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The scanners at security estimate body weight.
    BS.

As mentioned previously, standard weights are generally used. However, the smaller the aircraft, the less tolerance there can be. So, if you are a passenger on a smaller aircraft, expect to be weighed (or, at least, asked your weight).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    I've no idea how they judge the weight, but I remember a flight to Ambergris Cay in Belize where they weighed every passenger and their luggage!
    . Spent many a day in St Pedro on R&R was such a wonderful place .

Back to the subject, we used to work it as if everyone was 80kg. There are quite a few airlines in Alaska that weigh everyone as it’s the only way to get accurate figures for the CofG.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

When I flew puddle jumpers in the Sahara, we had to stand on the scales after our bags so the pilot knew exactly his payload.
    I guess we were closer to the limits of the wee plane than the big Jumbo's are?

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    BS.

As mentioned previously, standard weights are generally used. However, the smaller the aircraft, the less tolerance there can be. So, if you are a passenger on a smaller aircraft, expect to be weighed (or, at least, asked your weight).
    Of course it is.

They don’t even know your flight…

Using standard weights. For modern commercial flights, the final figures are sent to the jet from ops by datalink as you taxi out, then you so a quick update on the FMS to get the final takeoff trim figure, which you set just before you get to the runway.

There's generally quite a margin on mass, so using a standardised weight per passenger is fine and the lighter passengers tend to compensate for the heavier ones.

I've flown 707, 146 and 777. On the triple, most of the weight and balance stuff was taken care of by someone else, we just entered the figures in the FMS and away we went. Mass and balance was more involved when it came to the older aircraft. In terms of overall mass in normal operations (ie not "hot and high") you tend to run out of space in the aircraft before you run out of your ability to carry weight although 146 was the worst performer I've flown...like a jet powered by 4 hairdryers.

The other aspect is that you are always calculating your performance based on losing the ciritcal engine at the worst possible time on takeoff, which is obviously extremely rare. You therefore tend to have a lot more performance than calculated.

As said above, on the smaller aircraft and helicopters mass is more critical so you could be weighed on a scale prior to boarding.
    Last edited by Christian; 13th August 2022 at 18:43.

A previous girlfriend of mine worked at T4, Austrian Airlines. This was her job and that plane couldn't take off without her say so.
    I'm not sure how it's done but she had a headset plugged into the fuselage so she could give info to the captain.
    Mostly computerized but she had manuals 2" thick on each plane type for reference.
    Was a very responsible job apparently.
    I know the occasional obese passengers had to be moved to a different part of the plane😐

Master
    Blog Entries
    Standard weight for commercial in most cases, flight dispatch will pass a zero fuel weight to ops who will then run an OFP on Jeppesen that will give you accurate fuel figures and se if you can lift the proposed weight.

Planes have a set weight limit.

They know the weight of the jet fuel it can hold

Luggage is weighed

Number of seats and perhaps this is just an estimate on the average load of passengers - women weigh on average X. Men weigh on average X, so plane is designed to carry all men, so anything less in the sexes is fine.

DON

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    That would never work in a million years, overweight people tend to be incredibly private of their body weight and would never want it disclosed anywhere in any form. Not to staff, not on a form, not anywhere. They certainly would not want to be weighed and penalized, they would feel humiliated and angry.
    The non over weight people are I suppose in a way being penalized by the over weight people, oh well such is life :)

Master
    We've just travelled using one 22kg bag between two of us plus hand luggage and had the conversation about whether it would be fair to pay per kilo for both body weight and luggage; we're both average weight or less so the conversation was prompted by us having to take a couple of items out to meet the 22kg limit.

If we're really going to tackle the growing obesity crisis we are going to need to face into the 'difficult' conversations around *big being beautiful as opposed to unhealthy.

* By 'big' I mean excess BMI/obese or similar metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    There was an infamous air disaster shortly after take-off.. it turned out the aircraft had been hired to fly male US service personnel and their kit where the higher than average weight meant the aircraft was actually over loaded and was the cause of the 'accident'.
    Which accident was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Which accident was that?
    I’d be interested in knowing which one this was and what the aircraft was. Considering the takeoff performance would have been based on loss of an engine, that is almost an unbelievable balls up although I do remember seeing footage of a Antonov getting airborne as if by the curvature of the earth before!

The only “infamous” crash I remember in recent times was the 747 that wasn’t overloaded but had load shift and the military vehicles inside it slid rearwards, destroyed both hyd systems and the screw jack assembly. The aircraft was uncontrollable and fell out of the sky on departure from Bagram.

I’m almost suspicious this poster has heard a made up backstory for this crash.
    Last edited by Christian; 14th August 2022 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A previous girlfriend of mine worked at T4, Austrian Airlines. This was her job and that plane couldn't take off without her say so.
    I'm not sure how it's done but she had a headset plugged into the fuselage so she could give info to the captain.
    Mostly computerized but she had manuals 2" thick on each plane type for reference.
    Was a very responsible job apparently.
    I know the occasional obese passengers had to be moved to a different part of the plane
    Headset plugged into the fuselage is normally the ground handlers (those that operate the tug). A dispatcher does the paperwork at the jet bridge before doors are shut….getting the weight and balance sheet from the ground to the flight deck for signing is pretty difficult without stairs to an open door.

On a helicopter tour from las Vegas we were all weighed before we were allowed on. I made sure I didn't hit the buffet that morning.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Headset plugged into the fuselage is normally the ground handlers (those that operate the tug). A dispatcher does the paperwork at the jet bridge before doors are shut….getting the weight and balance sheet from the ground to the flight deck for signing is pretty difficult without stairs to an open door.
    In my experience all above is how I do see it in my job as an a/c fueller.
    I get my fuel ticket signed by the Pilot during his walkround(if completed),or the despatcher.Negotiating the steps whilst passengers are getting on is my last option!.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember squeezing the full 109t of fuel into an A330 once. Much head scratching followed when the trip was delayed and the ambient temperature crept up. As the computer has nowhere to shift the fuel about for a defuel and we were then over MTOW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    There was an infamous air disaster shortly after take-off.. it turned out the aircraft had been hired to fly male US service personnel and their kit where the higher than average weight meant the aircraft was actually over loaded and was the cause of the 'accident'.
    Mil work it out using a matrix for the type of passenger. Troops in fighting fight has a higher allowance.