closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rio de Janeiro - 8 day holiday in November - any advice?

Red face Rio de Janeiro - 8 day holiday in November - any advice?

Guys, has anyone been recently or in the last few years? My first time and am looking for advice as to what to see/do in and around Rio.

Brazil was hit quite hard with Covid so I'm not sure if it's up and running again for mainstream tourism?

Thanks in advance. :)

Blog Entries
    See if you can do a night or two in Buzios…. Even better go diving there if you can…. Easy to rent a room in a little pousada

Rio…. I stayed in impanema…. Le blon is quite cool too

Go up to Cristo Redentor obvs!

See if there any footy on at the Maracana or a local team? I went…. Crap game but stunning venue!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th July 2022 at 07:52.

I was last through there late last year for work totalling 4 years. We used to get put up in various districts from centro (business district, rough at night) to copacabana, worth a walk along but there is more at ipanima and lebon (this is the new up and coming area). barra de tijuca is the where the well heeled live and is close to the Olympic Village.

Safety wise I only got a little caught out on the building side of along copacabana late at night by a hooker trying to pickpocket me. They come on very strong and try to distract you why going through your pockets. A firm "go away" and moving her out the way sorted it. I've stumbled round various streets late at night there a d as long as you don't look like a tourist you're fine. Just keep visible signs of wealth to a minimum, there are a lot of desperate people there.

The hotels do the tours and you can hit the big things in rio in a (long) day. Stuff like the big jesus, sugar loaf mountain, etc.

Food wise you can't go wrong. The meat out there is amazing and you don't need to go expensive to get great food.

To get around a few mates used to use the metro system but I found the uber good (some ratty cars though) and cheap.

Soory for the briefness of the reply but we're busy sorting our new house out. If you need to know anything specific let me know or I think of owt more I'll reply.

Oh if you like gin there are a couple of good ones out there and on the three mobile network I used to be charge UK rates for calling home on the tariff I was on.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Additional about covid. I was in and out through there during their lockdown and felt at a local level they acted faster than us. Nothing to do with their batshit crazy president though. Makes where worn outside and in premises with sanitaser available at entrances. Not sure what it's like 9 months on but I survived and to honest we were going out to bars etc. Was just a matter of being sensible.

Other things to see in Rio.

Carioca Aqueduct. An aquaduct near centro District in Lapa that is close to a few streets with great nightlife. Nice old run down buildings how I imagine old Rio to be. I did get asked for my passport info when going into a few places here.

Catedral Metropolitana de São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro is close by and a mad looking pyramid church can be done on a tour. There is a set of steps close by as well decorated by local artists. Worth a look for 15 min of your time.

We walked from centro to lapa in the afternoon and was perfectly safe. In centro there is a naval base and a museum if you're interested

Personally, I would delay your trip until February and go during Carnival.

The Sambadrome is an experience that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. Genuinely mindblowing.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Buzios

Party was very good as well

We stayed in Leblon which I felt was much safer than Copocabana and Ipanema.

Keep your wits about you don't wear expensive jewellery etc I took a timex and careful when using your mobile.

We rented a car which was stratosphericly expensive, watch out for Police roadblocks if you do and don't ever stop for anyone else.

The sights and food were brilliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    See if you can do a night or two in Buzios…. Even better go diving there if you can…. Easy to rent a room in a little pousada

See if there any footy on at the Maracana or a local team? I went…. Crap game but stunning venue!
    Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    If you do go to the Maracana for the tour if there isn't a game on I'd cab it, its pretty rough round there
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Journeyman
    Paraty not party!

Thanks All - I really appreciate all the advice. :)

Craftsman
    If you want to get close to nature then a couple of days on Ilha Grande can fit the bill. Very basic and no cars on the island (get around by hiking or boat) Rio botanical gardens are also a nice relaxing place to visit to escape the hustle & bustle.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

Rio de Janeiro - 8 day holiday in November - any advice?

Lived there for two years in Barra da Tijuca working in Botofogo. Christo is good but very touristy. Go up in the train. But hard to go to Rio and not go there. Cable car up Pao de Suca much better and I loved it. Great bar at the back of top station with great views down Copacabana. Best kept secret. On the way down you can walk down the back through a jungle path from the middle station. Look out for marmosets and toucans. Then walk back to Praia Vermelha and over to the bars at Urca. Great spot overlooking the bay with some empanadas and Choppe! (Arctica is my personal favourite).

Ipanema up to Aropador better than Copacabana in my view. Vista Chinese great for a view over the racecourse.

Buzios a good weekend spot but watch the traffic. Brutal over Niteroi bridge at the wrong times.

Lapa at night time but watch out and be very careful. I survived a great night in the samba bars but was robbed at knife point by the cathedral on a Saturday lunchtime. Santa Teresa where Ronnie Biggs used to live is a cool neighbourhood. The trams are there plus they have the Selaron steps.

Cathedral is cool too.

Last weekend there I hired a chopper near Jacaparagua to fly the family all around the sights. Particularly the Christo. 2000 reais if I recall. Memorable trip!

If you get chance grab a pizza at Ferro e Farinha (iron and flour) near FlAmenco i think. Fantastic chef out of New York delivering spectacular Asian inspired pizza from tiny hole in the wall gaff. Spectacular experience if still open. All of the above was 2014-17 so well before Covid.

Message me if you want any more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisjones3; 28th July 2022 at 01:38.

Craftsman

Rather proud to have taken that myself on a phone. Albeit in the helicopter.

Craftsman

3 of them now!

My wife is Carioca (born and bread in RiodJ city) and everything Chrisjones3 says sounds like good advice. I go there 2-3 times a year. My advices;

- Do not rent a car if you do not know your way. Use Uber or Taxis
    - Do not trust Google maps, it will bring you to places you do not want to get lost
    - Wear 0 bling and 0 brands
    - Go to Barra da Tijuca beaches (next to Jacarepogua airport and the biggest mall in South America, Barra Shopping) and a bit further down the road you will find Prainha which is my favourite beach:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...!4d-43.5057336
    - Buzios: only if you dive as it is rather run down now ( went there last September)

Have fun and do not get tempted by a Favela tour!!

Craftsman
    Used to drive down to Prainha on my motorbike from Golden Green at the weekend. Lovely spot!!