closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Over polished 16800?

Craftsman

Over polished 16800?

Looking for your opinions on this 16800. Ive been after a matte dial sub or SD for a while now and this one has popped up at a reasonable price. It looks like it may have new hands and possibly a bezel insert replacement (?). My main concern is that it looks over polished to me. I'm probably being picky, and I guess it is to be expected for a 40 year old watch, but im interested in your opinion !?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Case looks very soft to me. Not the worst I've seen but it would definitely put me off buying it.

Master
    Doesn’t look that bad, wouldn’t say a deal breaker. Dial looks good, hands are replacement and possibly not a fully matching set either.

Lugs are still thick, could be saved by a good refinisher. Wouldn’t put me off but the price would have to allow room for the work to be carried out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Case looks very soft to me. Not the worst I've seen but it would definitely put me off buying it.
    Hi yes, I'm thinking the same

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I’d steer clear and hold out for the right one personally. This looks off to me with the faded dial and the other new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for the thoughts guys

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    I’d steer clear and hold out for the right one personally. This looks off to me with the faded dial and the other new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not seeing a problem with the dial, either condition or fade, these were thin printed when new, not the best expression but basically not much depth to the hour plots. You can see pre 1984 16800 dials where the black dial base is beginning to show through here and there, this one looks ok, pretty good. I would agree that a better cased example could be found but would the dial be as good? That’s where the swapping out in pursuit of an all round good example starts! Don’t think I could live those later hands though

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Looking for your opinions on this 16800. Ive been after a matte dial sub or SD for a while now and this one has popped up at a reasonable price. It looks like it may have new hands and possibly a bezel insert replacement (?). My main concern is that it looks over polished to me. I'm probably being picky, and I guess it is to be expected for a 40 year old watch, but im interested in your opinion !?
    Surely it all depends on price?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Surely it all depends on price?
    Yes and no. I'm happy to pay a fair price for a fair watch. I'm not really interested in paying a low price for not so great watch- I'd rather wait. I guess I'm just trying to gauge what's reasonable. For reference, it's £9300 no b or p

Master
    Yes and no. I'm happy to pay a fair price for a fair watch. I'm not really interested in paying a low price for not so great watch- I'd rather wait. I guess I'm just trying to gauge what's reasonable. For reference, it's £9300 no b or p

Absolutely crazy money for a very tired, non original watch with no B&P. Like you say, who cares how cheap it was if everytime you look at it, things annoy you. And we havent even seen a side profile of the case. I wonder what the lug holes look like. You can refinish them as far as I know without some major work.

The dial is probably the best part of the watch in my mind. Case would need refinished and who knows how that is going to turn out, hands can easily be relumed but they will still be shiny white gold.

I know its more expensive but look at the 5513 on SC right now. That is a watch worth paying a bit more for.

Master
    Blueinfloor's Maxi dial 5513 is nice if you are looking for a nice matte sub

No connection btw.

Craftsman
    Thanks again for the info and opinions guys, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Blueinfloor's Maxi dial 5513 is nice if you are looking for a nice matte sub

No connection btw.
    Just looked at the thread to say much the same (without knowing the differences in the calibers etc).............

The 5513 looks superb with a casing that reeks of minimal refinishing, and original dial/hands.

Agreed... the newer hands will bug me. bluetinfloor's 5513 though.. a beauty.

Master
    Thanks for the unsolicited comments on the 5513…

Having worn it yesterday and for first time in years to check timekeeping and reconnected, think I will probably keep it.

Another one going up soon though, got a house extension to pay for!