closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pequignet A French Answer To The Art Of High Horology

Pequignet A French Answer To The Art Of High Horology

Its amazing to see a small watch brand produced its own amazing movement which is
    capable of being a GMT, Moon phase, Big Day Date Power Reserve and Small Sub Seconds
    The movement is simply amazing

Here is a link to the video https://youtu.be/Pro9sJUPttM

Last edited by bazza.; 5th June 2022 at 11:19.

Lovely review Baz

I have looked at this brand a few times recently.

Especially the Rue Royale.

Craftsman
    Can't be sure, but that does have a look of Vaucher to me, but then so many high end brands use them to design and make movements it's no surprise (Parmigiani, Hermes, Richard Mille, Speake Marin, etc)

Excellent brand, at a very competitive price.
    Unfortunately, like GS, they have this RdM which is a complication I do not like, especially on an auto. It makes sense on a manual wind, like the Panerai 8 days, but on an auto?
    Also, I find the pinion on the second hand a bit... neglected; they could look towards the same GS to improve this. And the sundial look stained in your review.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Excellent brand, at a very competitive price.
    Unfortunately, like GS, they have this RdM which is a complication I do not like, especially on an auto. It makes sense on a manual wind, like the Panerai 8 days, but on an auto?
    I've heard others say this, but my experience is different. When I put a manual watch on in the morning, I can feel how much tension there is on the mainspring when I wind it up, so it doesn't need an RdM. With an auto, I have no way of knowing and have to rely on its autonomy, so I find an RdM genuinely useful.

Horses for courses I suppose. If you’re going to wind your manual in the morning anyway the rdm doesn’t tell you much; however if you have a long autonomy (like the one here, 100 hours) it may be of value to know how much you have left; likewise, if you wear your auto, unless you’re doing a cameo at Madame Tussauds it’s going to wind itself so rdm not of much use, and if you’re not wearing it an indicator on the dial is pointless. The new Spring Drives that have it on the back is the best of both worlds: there if you need to check an unworn watch, but not on the face.
    It’s not just the usefulness, mind: I quite like an equation du temps, which has virtually no use at all. It’s that it almost always unbalances the dial

Thanks for the review, not a brand I’ve heard of before.

Master
    Stewarts Watches in Leicester is an agent for Pequignet and Rob, the owner, is a good guy to deal with.

On behalf of myself and anyone else entirely lost, I'll ask the dumb questions

What is 'RdM'? Sounds like a power reserve indicator judging on the description?

Where does the 'RdM' appear on this watch?

Not on this watch (kind of the point I was making: it is on all the auto watches of the brand). It is indeed the réserve de marche.

Master
    Horses for courses I suppose. If you’re going to wind your manual in the morning anyway the rdm doesn’t tell you much; however if you have a long autonomy (like the one here, 100 hours) it may be of value to know how much you have left; likewise, if you wear your auto, unless you’re doing a cameo at Madame Tussauds it’s going to wind itself so rdm not of much use, and if you’re not wearing it an indicator on the dial is pointless. The new Spring Drives that have it on the back is the best of both worlds: there if you need to check an unworn watch, but not on the face.
    It’s not just the usefulness, mind: I quite like an equation du temps, which has virtually no use at all. It’s that it almost always unbalances the dial
    I agree with everything you say, including the point about using the back of the watch.

(It's just a pity that, while SEIKO were doing that, they didn't change the silly name 'Spring Drive'. All mechanical watches are driven by springs. )

Not on this watch (kind of the point I was making: it is on all the auto watches of the brand). It is indeed the réserve de marche.
    Thanks

Master
    To the left of the moonphase ...

##
    Last edited by Tinker; 6th June 2022 at 20:29.

I was so impressed with the watch it just feels so very special so much so I really want one now
    I still feels like a watch costing far more than its price tag.

I have another model I'm reviewing from them at the min there diver

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    On behalf of myself and anyone else entirely lost, I'll ask the dumb questions

What is 'RdM'? Sounds like a power reserve indicator judging on the description?

Where does the 'RdM' appear on this watch?
    Reserve de Marche ie: Power reserve, in English

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I was so impressed with the watch it just feels so very special so much so I really want one now
    I still feels like a watch costing far more than its price tag.

On this one, is there any reason for positioning the crown where it is?

Blog Entries
    On this one, is there any reason for positioning the crown where it is?
    Because it worked for Bremont? ;-)

Blog Entries
    I had not previously strongly associated them with divers.

I'm trying to decide whether this one would be for me or not. There is something slightly Ulysse Nardin-ish about it.

Ocarat has this brand and sometimes at a discount. They had 30% off the Rue Royale a couple of months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

(It's just a pity that, while SEIKO were doing that, they didn't change the silly name 'Spring Drive'. All mechanical watches are driven by springs. )
    Yes but... the Seiko's are Spring Drive Quartz! If it was invented 30 years before it did it would have had QUARTZ written all over it.
    THIN is the new BLACK

I decided to keep mine. Very handsome thing - only question is on yours were you able to wind it fully to the point that you felt the resistance and could wind no further? Mine just keeps on winding - over 500 turns of crown now and no resistance. Watch keeping good time and no obvious mechanical issue so I wanted to see if this was a foible of the movement

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I decided to keep mine. Very handsome thing - only question is on yours were you able to wind it fully to the point that you felt the resistance and could wind no further? Mine just keeps on winding - over 500 turns of crown now and no resistance. Watch keeping good time and no obvious mechanical issue so I wanted to see if this was a foible of the movement
    That's just because they use the same mainspring as in the automatic, which means it has the same clutch for over winding as an automatic does.

If you listen closely, you can hear a soft clicking when it's fully found and you continue winding the crown.
    There's no harm to this, it doesn't actually impact how the movement functions.

It's fairly normal when reusing a movement from the automatic version to the manual. From the bridge design on your watch, it's evident it's the same movement as their automatic version, just with the auto winding parts removed.

Quote Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
    That's just because they use the same mainspring as in the automatic, which means it has the same clutch for over winding as an automatic does.

If you listen closely, you can hear a soft clicking when it's fully found and you continue winding the crown.
    There's no harm to this, it doesn't actually impact how the movement functions.

It's fairly normal when reusing a movement from the automatic version to the manual. From the bridge design on your watch, it's evident it's the same movement as their automatic version, just with the auto winding parts removed.
    Ah fantastic thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Thank you once again.

I'm so happy with my one it feels like a watch 5x it's cost and the movement I still think is in a another league to anything
    this side of 7k

Master
    I'm so happy with my one it feels like a watch 5x it's cost and the movement I still think is in a another league to anything
    this side of 7k

Lovely looking watch and undoubtedly incredibly good value for money IMO (rare these days!)

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Excellent news, I’ll send you a PM in 6 weeks

:)
    To be fair I had it on SC BNIB for £1500 for a couple of days and was gobsmacked it had no takers so figured best to keep it. Wearing it now - it's bonkers value for money.

Nice video, i didn’t know the mark, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Wait what? This was on SC and I missed it!!!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

FS BNIB Pequinet Royale Manuelle P1001