closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance - Spain

Master
    Blog Entries

Car insurance - Spain

Slightly off the track problem:

My (Spanish) father in law has decided to stop driving and has offered to give us his car, which we are intending to take to our flat in Menorca to use there.

We have a problem though in that our insurance company won't cover it under the UK policy at all even for occasional use. Spanish insurance companies won't cover us because we're not resident in Spain

Any suggestions anyone? We basically only need very limtied time/mileage cover for use when we're on holiday. Does anyone have an insurance company that does cover this kind of thing that we could consider switching to at next renewal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Slightly off the track problem:

My (Spanish) father in law has decided to stop driving and has offered to give us his car, which we are intending to take to our flat in Menorca to use there.

We have a problem though in that our insurance company won't cover it under the UK policy at all even for occasional use. Spanish insurance companies won't cover us because we're not resident in Spain

Any suggestions anyone? We basically only need very limtied time/mileage cover for use when we're on holiday. Does anyone have an insurance company that does cover this kind of thing that we could consider switching to at next renewal?
    There must be thousands of Brits who are not residenci in Spain who have an insurance policy. I suspect you may need to get on the local padron and get your NIE sorted as well as a Spanish bank account.

Linea Directa is the big favourite for Brits and their reputation is good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    There must be thousands of Brits who are not residenci in Spain who have an insurance policy. I suspect you may need to get on the local padron and get your NIE sorted as well as a Spanish bank account.

Linea Directa is the big favourite for Brits and their reputation is good.
    I have NIE (obviously my wife does too) and we have a bank account of course.

Since Brexit this is not as simple as you seem to think it is, else I wouldn't have asked. Anyone with a pre-existing policy is simply going to renew thus the residency question doesn't arise.

Master
    I have NIE (obviously my wife does too) and we have a bank account of course.

Since Brexit this is not as simple as you seem to think it is, else I wouldn't have asked. Anyone with a pre-existing policy is simply going to renew thus the residency question doesn't arise.
    I don't have residenci because I spend less than 180 days in Spain in a year. I am effectively just a tourist.

Half the problem is that the Spanish regions have different rules and it can lead to all sorts of problems. I am in Andalucia and I know several South Africans who have car and household insurance and they have never ever been in the EU and yet have never had any trouble.

The golden rule is that if you are on the Padron, have a NIE and have a bank account you can do virtually anything.

Master
    Have you tried Aviva Espana? 😁

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Have you tried Aviva Espana? 

Master
    Aviva Espana.......PMSL

If you're over 50, it might be worth looking at Saga - but I don't know if they'll cover Spanish registered cars.

Other than that, have a look at the expat forums in Spain and see who they're using.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Have you tried Aviva Espana? 
    Remember to ask for Sylvia...
    ______

​Jim.

Can it be insured in your FIL's name but you as named/main driver at your Menorca address?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Can it be insured in your FIL's name but you as named/main driver at your Menorca address?
    The simple answer is yes.

My car is insured in my name but anyone over 28 years of age can drive it. My 3 sons have all driven my car on my insurance.

In France (and I believe in Spain) it is the car that is insured, not the driver. Therefore if your FiL can continue to insure in his name you can drive it (provided you have a valid license).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    FiL insurance company says no. The "any driver" part of it is Spanish licenced drivers only (thanks Brexit).

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In France (and I believe in Spain) it is the car that is insured, not the driver. Therefore if your FiL can continue to insure in his name you can drive it (provided you have a valid license).
    Not doubting your knowledge but don't they consider the history (and risk) of the driver?

Master
    FiL insurance company says no. The "any driver" part of it is Spanish licenced drivers only (thanks Brexit).
    On that basis a French driver would not be covered which has never been the case.

It is a bank holiday today in Spain and the place comes to a grinding halt but I shall contact my insurance company just to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not doubting your knowledge but don't they consider the history (and risk) of the driver?
    Things may have changed since I have been here but it’s not necessary: it balances out. If a risky driver has an accident in your car your premium goes up instead of his.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    On that basis a French driver would not be covered which has never been the case.

It is a bank holiday today in Spain and the place comes to a grinding halt but I shall contact my insurance company just to check.
    France is still in the EU, I should have said EU-licenced.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    I have emailed my Spanish car insurer asking for clarification. I will let you know the outcome.

Master
    Herewith the reply from my Spanish insurer when I asked if my sons could drive my car under my policy.

In response to your e-mail we wish to inform that your Línea Directa policy covers any driver as from the age of 26 years with a valid driving licence under spanish law ( UK licence is ok).

So your sons are perfectly covered by your insurance.

My understanding of it is as Mick describes, the Car is insured, also we are happy Linea Directa customers here.

Master
    Things may have changed since I have been here but it’s not necessary: it balances out. If a risky driver has an accident in your car your premium goes up instead of his.
    It's still more or less the same since you left. The car is insured, but the owners personal circumstances dictate the premium.

Other major differences from UK car insurance are that if a lowlife steals your car - they are covered by your insurance. Cars must be continuously insured even when laid up. Your insurance must be more than a year old before you can change insurance companies. You can only cancel insurance if you can prove that the car has been sold or scrapped or you have taken out cover with another company (after a year). And premiums are roughly double what I was paying in the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, not sure of FiL insurer but they definitely won't cover UK drivers since Brexit and his company won't cover non-residents.

Going to suggest he change to Linea Directa and we just drive on his until we can sort our own policy.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    It's still more or less the same since you left. The car is insured, but the owners personal circumstances dictate the premium.
    If owner has an accident and premium set to rise (loss of NCB etc) couldn’t ownership just be transferred to someone else (spouse) with a better history?

Just curious how this works TBH.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If owner has an accident and premium set to rise (loss of NCB etc) couldn’t ownership just be transferred to someone else (spouse) with a better history?

Just curious how this works TBH.
    That is possible, but every time a car changes hands over here a registration fee is charged. When we registered an X type diesel estate it was around 200e, and an XC90 was around 300e. Those charges would have been doubled if the cars were under 10 years old.

It is also possible to register the car in both names to get around the above issue. However, when you get around to wanting to insure yourself again as a main driver if you haven't had insurance as a main driver within the past 2 years your NCB will have been reduced.
    Last edited by catflem; 3rd May 2022 at 07:02.

I know you said you spend less than 180 days and do not have residency but the problem will arise if the authorities 'decide' you have residency whether you do or not....

"Following a decision of the Spanish Government's Council of Ministers not to extend the bridging measure on the recognition of UK driving licences used in Spain by Spanish residents. The measure, contained in Spain’s Real Decreto-ley 38/2020, will expire on 30 April.

It will primarily affect:

UK licence holders who are long-term residents of Spain and did not exchange their driving licence for a Spanish one before 31 December 2020.
    UK licence holders who became resident in Spain after 31 December 2020 and have been resident in Spain for longer than 6 months.

For individuals in these groups, UK driving licences will no longer be valid for driving in Spain as of 1 May 2022. Individuals affected are therefore advised to apply for a Spanish driving licence if they wish to continue driving in Spain."

as you spend less than 180 days each year in Spain it should be ok, but not sure who you are going to register the car under without residency - again this is different region to region.

Glad I did the licence exchange some time back, lots of whining Brits on social media since May 1st, fail to plan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Glad I did the licence exchange some time back, lots of whining Brits on social media since May 1st, fail to plan etc.
    It is something I haven't done (the other way round) and do not intend to do.
    Should a similar stance be taken here, would taking the test not be better, allowing you to then have both? Downsides are costs (minor) and new licensee for insurance purposes maybe?

It is something I haven't done (the other way round) and do not intend to do.
    Should a similar stance be taken here, would taking the test not be better, allowing you to then have both? Downsides are costs (minor) and new licensee for insurance purposes maybe?
    I saw no real disadvantage, it was easy, convenient, a guaranteed positive outcome compared to me attempting the test in Spanish tbh...had I been sly I coulda perhaps applied for a new OR replacement for a lost UK Licence, before trading in the original for the EU replacement, but who thinks of these things/ can be bovvered.

I saw no real disadvantage, it was easy, convenient, a guaranteed positive outcome compared to me attempting the test in Spanish tbh...had I been sly I coulda perhaps applied for a new OR replacement for a lost UK Licence, before trading in the original for the EU replacement, but who thinks of these things/ can be bovvered.
    The disadvantage could be when returning to France (or you to the UK). Also, my driving license comes from a time when things were not restricted (no power limit on motorbikes, for example, no age related constrains) that I might not keep in an exchange.

The disadvantage could be when returning to France (or you to the UK). Also, my driving license comes from a time when things were not restricted (no power limit on motorbikes, for example, no age related constrains) that I might not keep in an exchange.
    Ah not so my licence re restrictions, agreed for you nice to have.

Meh cost of insurance for a visit back, dunno if there'd be so much advantage/ disadvantage...and GB's costly/ a bit of a rip off in a few areas, so it kinda is what it is, I'd just price it in. Also being as I was a late starter to driving, my folks never had a car when I was growing up, we used to insure Mrs P on her US licence, for a lotta years she was the family driver, so the costs the cost.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok so this is very relevant.

My wife "exchanged" her Spanish licence for a UK one.

What's to stop her just applying for a replacement Spanish one when we move to Spain permanently? Surely she doesn't have to retake her Spanish test?

What's to stop her just applying for a replacement Spanish one when we move to Spain permanently? Surely she doesn't have to retake her Spanish test?
    Good question, dunno, kinda think though at this moment in time technically your wife would have to...Though aren't the GB/ Spain negotiations still ongoing to some extent, in contrast to GB and most other EU members as regards reciprocal DL recognition....

https://www.thelocal.es/20220430/uk-...-from-may-1st/

From reading this, it seems Mrs S might have up to 6 months from arriving to reside in Spain a 'grace' period to sit her Spanish test again...Whether since she's Spanish, there's an exemption, plus she previously had a Spanish licence, maybe...I suppose ask her embassy.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd May 2022 at 11:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeh, thats the issue - she's Spanish, passed on a Spanish test already and only got a UK licence because the UK insisted it was exchanged (she's been here for 15 years).

Surely having already passed a Spanish test she could just apply for the licence to be sent as if she'd lost it?

How do they even know it was exchanged?

Yeh, thats the issue - she's Spanish, passed on a Spanish test already and only got a UK licence because the UK insisted it was exchanged (she's been here for 15 years).

Surely having already passed a Spanish test she could just apply for the licence to be sent as if she'd lost it?

Why would the UK insist? Is it Spanish specific (as in retaliation against current restriction)?

They may well not know it was exchanged, see my earlier comment about slyly arranging a replacement UK licence, as it was 'lost', before trading the one in hand for Spanish, they wouldn't have known...Give it a try, nowt to lose, it certainly appears the authorities in both sides are still faffing about, why should a Spaniard be inconvenienced.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd May 2022 at 11:21.

They may well not know it was exchanged, see my earlier comment about slyly arranging a replacement UK licence, as it was 'lost', before trading for Spanish, they wouldn't have known...Give it a try, nowt to lose.
    They know, as the old license is returned to Spain, and a note is put on the file.
    The Spanish are a lot more switched on than some think!

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    They know, as the old license is returned to Spain, and a note is put on the file.
    In this case she may just need to ask for her old driving license back?

My old though current UK licence was handed over in person at an appointment, they then issued a temporary paper permit for a month iirc and I was called to come in and pick my proper Spanish replacement within about 2 weeks...the theory/ hack which I've heard some have tried though I dunno if it was successful, was to advise the DVLA you'd lost your GB licence shortly before the appointment, thus the system starts processing a new one, whilst you hand over the licence in hand to the Spanish for the swap, shouldn't think they'd be aware of what you've told the DVLA, or maybe they would...what's so wrong with hold 2 or more DL's...

ah sorry got myself at cross purposes, ignore the above, then as SJ said below...seems reasonable/ doable...probably too easy, straightforward then!
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd May 2022 at 11:52.

In this case she may just need to ask for her old driving license back?
    And they’ll need her to return her U.K. one

My old though current UK licence was handed over in person at an appointment, they then issued a temporary paper permit for a month iirc and I was called to come in and pick my proper Spanish replacement within about 2 weeks...the theory/ hack which I've heard some have tried though I dunno if it was successful, was to advise the DVLA you'd lost your GB licence shortly before the appointment, thus the system starts processing a new one, whilst you hand over the licence in hand to the Spanish for the swap, shouldn't think they'd be aware of what you've told the DVLA, or maybe they would...what's so wrong with hold 2 or more DL's...

ah sorry got myself at cross purposes, ignore the above, then as SJ said below...seems reasonable/ doable...probably too easy, straightforward then!
    You can’t have two different driving licenses at the same time, hence all the melodrama

You can’t have two different driving licenses at the same time, hence all the melodrama
    Ahhh.

Car insurance - Spain

If she did, only 30€ euros or so.

I believe you can. A guy I knew collected driving licenses. He was globetrotting and would take his test in any country he was staying in. He had over 20 at the time and he continued until I lost track of him.

Car insurance - Spain

I believe you can. A guy I knew collected driving licenses. He was globetrotting and would take his test in any country he was staying in. He had over 20 at the time and he continued until I lost track of him.
    Yup, there is always one !!!…. But when you’ve only taken your test once you can only hold a single license, so U.K. converted to Spanish is one license, whilst U.K. license passed in U.K. plus Spanish license passed in Spain is two licenses.
    Last edited by robcuk; 3rd May 2022 at 20:54.

Agree with one test, one license.