closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much is your motorbike/scooter insurance?

Master

How much is your motorbike/scooter insurance?

Have just been a bit shocked on the price of insurance for a scooter I am thinking of buying (Honda ADV350). My Vespa was written off by a prat who reversed into it in Feb, thought I could do without a bike but don't think I can!

Cheapest quotes are £5-600!! My car insurance is £200...

Admittedly I only have 2 years NCB on a bike but still... just wondering what other people are getting?

I have two separate motorcycle policies, with 9+ and 6 years - I typically use the higher for a touring bike and the lesser for Sunday rider.

Due to Covid, I've been using a Bonneville T100 exclusively.

Last year on the 9+ policy was £67, this year on the 6yr policy is £73 - both 3,000 miles protected NCD.

I recall a couple of years ago I had a BMW K1200R Sport on the 9+ for around £97, same cover.

Age, location and secure garaging make a big difference.

Master
    Christ! That makes me feel a bit sick...

Yeah I guess one of the big issues is I have to leave it on the road. Going to just have to swallow it I think!

I found that scooter insurance was more expensive than motorcycle insurance.

Example

My bmw r850gs fully comp 2k mileage, £250 per year, garaged social domestic pleasure and commuting

My piaggio scooter worth only £1k, 1k miles, £600 per year, garaged social domestic pleasure and commuting

I can only assume that the commuting element of the scooter insurance pushed it up, especially because I'm near London.

There are obvious realities with scooters vs big motorbikes that make them far easier to steal too, they can easily be loaded into a van

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Master
    My G650GS was £80 comp I think (no NDC 1st year back) I’ve just changed to a brand new T700 - 6 months left on my policy added another £100 but that includes a £30 admin so pretty good for a brand new bike

Master
    My 1960 BSA 650cc twin cost me £92 a years to insure. Agreed value of £5,500 and 3000 miles allowed per year. That's one advantage of vintage bikes.

About £85 fully comp on an XJR1300 with only one year ncb.

That’s what being an old fart living in a rural area gets you!

2021 Honda CB650R umpteen mods declared.
    £68 - 9yrs+ Protected NCD, in fact it dropped by £4 from last years premium
    Young at heart old fart been riding 50 years.

Just about £350 for BMW 1250gs valued at £16.5k unlimited mileage.
    Full licence since 1978 bikes in an alarmed garage overnight

Master
    I think I thought naively that being 31 would mean the premiums would be lower but that combined with 2 y NCB and parking on street...

oh well... I ordered the bike today and can't wait to have something again!

How long is your wait? I'm wondering if bikes are impacted by the same delays as cars ...

I had a quick look at the Honda brochure - pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy (c80mpg).

Enjoy once it arrives (good timing for the better weather) - hopefully you can avoid the idiots on the roads for a good while.

£56 on my 1960 Lambretta, £85 on my Vespa GTS300 and £65 on Vespa T5 ... 53 years old with 9+ years no claims, all scooters garaged ... should really have a look at putting them all on one policy but never get around to it

Get on Go Compare and pick the top one .. the cheapest one :)

Master
    Yeah unfortunately there will be "a wait", dealer said it has been a bit unpredictable. War in Ukraine has made things worse apparently as they were starting to send bikes by road instead of containers because of the issues with shipping but now a lot are stuck in Russia. Basically, who knows! Speaking to people that have ordered bikes they seemed to have about a 2 month wait, so hopefully not too much longer than that! I want it for the summer!

yes, economy should be great, I test rode a few geared bikes again but I think after having the Vespa for a bit I am very happy with a CVT on my bike. So easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    How long is your wait? I'm wondering if bikes are impacted by the same delays as cars ...

I had a quick look at the Honda brochure - pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy (c80mpg).

Enjoy once it arrives (good timing for the better weather) - hopefully you can avoid the idiots on the roads for a good while.

How much is your motorbike/scooter insurance?

I have a classic policy with my Lambretta including European breakdown cover and then add on my motorbike. £180 fully comp for both.

£480 a year................. That's for 8 bikes, from a 1980 honda XL250 up to a BMW 1150 RT, and various other BMW GS models inbetween, oh, and an old 1978 850 Moto Guzzi California, inner london post code, unlimited mileage and with full UK/european breakdown cover.

I pay about £300 in NW London. I wonder if that scooter is more, because scooters are more stolen and its a lovely big engine with some go.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Christ! That makes me feel a bit sick...

Yeah I guess one of the big issues is I have to leave it on the road. Going to just have to swallow it I think!
    You have to leave a scooter on the road buy the biggest pile of crap that runs you can. Whatever you get it will go missing so it may as well be one you don't care about. The insurance know it'll go missing as well which is why the premium is so high.