closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any TV Guru’s? LG G1 or Sony A8 OLED?

Question Any TV Guru’s? LG G1 or Sony A8 OLED?

Looking to replace our tv and like the look of the LG G1 but have stupidly started looking on AV forums and now I’m more confused than when I started!

I want something that fits flush to wall as we have a bespoke lounge made for this, the G1 has a perfect option for this (similar to my current top of the range Sony bought 5 years ago). It also gets amazing reviews and is now a good chunk cheaper than before Christmas due to the new model being released (with little improvement I’m told).

can anyone advise?

Cheers

Best advice for TV / HIFI is to always view in person

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Best advice for TV / HIFI is to always view in person
    Only if there's a decent shop with a viewing room. Colour balance, contrast and brightness are usually WAY out as they want the TV to look nice in bright shop lighting.

I'd grab the G1 but to be honest anything around that range that scores well in reviews will be fine for most people - see if there's someone local who can calibrate it for you once it's in your home.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 1st April 2022 at 09:52.

Master
    I think the G1 needs to be wall mounted or an expensive add-on stand.

The prices of them have dropped so perhaps a newer model may be on the way as LG seem to release a new one every couple of years.

Some HiFis integrate with the LG software much better than other brands.

I have had an LG OLED65EV for almost 5 years and it has performed faultlessly. I moved to LG after Pioneer stopped their TV development. I would have stayed with Pioneer
    as I had a PDP-LX5090 which has superb colours, but as a Plasma, is more useful as an auxilary radiator these days

I also use AV Forums and have found the people on there (just like here) to be very knowledgable and also very generous with good advice

Possible another source could be Richer Sounds. That's where i bought the LG from and they were also very helpful

As far as brackets are concerned, I have fitted 2 of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sanus-low...ed-47-90/2390j

Very simple to fit and extremely easy to mount the TV afterwards. The low profile design is excellent and both TV's are right against the wall. In the case of my lounge, I also have a SONOS Playbar mounted below and all of the cabling is drilled through the wall into the understairs cupboard, giving me a very clean look. I can share photos if you wish

My only advice on these, are check your walls very closely for being able to take the weight of the TV and if in doubt, upspec
    the wall plugs and screws to be safe

Hope this helps
    John

I have the G1 and matching soundbar, both sit completely flush to the wall and perform very nicely.

Last edited by gunner; 1st April 2022 at 12:02.

The g1 has a latest evo oled panel supposed to be brighter
    But there’s a new version out imminently

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I have the G1 and matching soundbar, both sit completely flush to the wall and perform very nicely.

how do you find it? Was it easy to hang and does it tilt on rotation like the installation video suggests?

it’s come down another £150 since I posted this earlier so I may well pull the trigger!

I believe LG makes all Sony OLED panels, so shouldn’t be too much difference in inherent quality. Worth noting that the LG has — in addition to the already mentioned evo panel — HDMI 2.1 ports and the Sony has only the old 2.0. Probably doesn’t matter unless you’re going to use it with the new PlayStation or Xbox.

Edit. Struck out the old info, jcm3 knew better in post #14
    Last edited by Possu; 4th April 2022 at 06:26.

Also, is the bezel black or silver?

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    how do you find it? Was it easy to hang and does it tilt on rotation like the installation video suggests?

it’s come down another £150 since I posted this earlier so I may well pull the trigger!
    We were having a refurb done so I got the builder to mount it on the wall (as well as recessing the socket behind it so there are no visible wires). There is some ability to adjust the angle by a few degrees once mounted though.

Picture and UI are both great in my opinion. Sound not bad but significantly improved by soundbar/sub.

From memory the bezel is metallic grey.
    Last edited by gunner; 1st April 2022 at 14:40.

Master
    The LG has the better features. Especially for gaming with HDMI2.1, VRR etc. I would say the only place the Sony is maybe better is in motion handling which may be a consideration for watching sports. Possibly check the black handling too. The LG is always cheaper too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have the 65” Sony OLED in the TV lounge and 65” Panny upstairs in our bedroom I think the Sony edges it on picture and motion flicker the sound also on the Sony being Acoustic screen is the best in TV sound I have heard

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I believe LG makes all Sony OLED panels, so shouldn’t be too much difference in inherent quality. Worth noting that the LG has — in addition to the already mentioned evo panel — HDMI 2.1 ports and the Sony has only the old 2.0. Probably doesn’t matter unless you’re going to use it with the new PlayStation or Xbox.
    LG use to make all of the panels for Sony OLED, but not this year. For the 2022 model year Sony will offer both LG and Samsung glass for OLED TVs. Right now it looks like the new sets will be bringing Samsung's QD-OLED tech to market before Samsung themselves.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...sung-and-sony/

Myself, I strongly prefer the Sony sets as clients find them easier to use, the Sony sets tend to make poor quality video look better, and they come better calibrated out of the box. At one time Sony also offered significantly better dealer and service support, but that has slipped to the point that they are nearly equal now.

^ I had missed that, thanks for the info.

Craftsman
    I’ve just had the same dilemma. Sony AJ90 or LG G1.

I went with the LG but you will need a sound bar compared to the Sony which has an acoustic panel.

The LG is easy to set up out of the box, just look at the picture settings on AV forums. It takes 2 minutes using the filmmaker mode.

The OS on the LG is a better experience than Sony’s which uses Google.

All of the apps you would ever want are on the LG.

The LG can only be wall mounted out of the box, no stand, feet are an extra at £99. If you are fixing the LG into a recess into the wall you would need to purchase a Sansus bracket to facilitate using the 400x400 VESA mounting bracket. All easy to do.

Lastly, the LG has the lowest return rates for failure out of the two.

The only thing is the Sony Pro models have a guarantee where the provider will come to site to replace the TV if it faults where the LG will require more user intervention in organising the return.

Both are great TV’s though.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    I’ve just had the same dilemma. Sony AJ90 or LG G1.

I went with the LG but you will need a sound bar compared to the Sony which has an acoustic panel.

The LG is easy to set up out of the box, just look at the picture settings on AV forums. It takes 2 minutes using the filmmaker mode.

The OS on the LG is a better experience than Sony’s which uses Google.

All of the apps you would ever want are on the LG.

The LG can only be wall mounted out of the box, no stand, feet are an extra at £99. If you are fixing the LG into a recess into the wall you would need to purchase a Sansus bracket to facilitate using the 400x400 VESA mounting bracket. All easy to do.

Lastly, the LG has the lowest return rates for failure out of the two.

The only thing is the Sony Pro models have a guarantee where the provider will come to site to replace the TV if it faults where the LG will require more user intervention in organising the return.

Both are great TV’s though.

Thanks, I took the plunge and ordered yesterday, arrives today just in time for the footy!

I’ve had Sony for 6 years so want a change, Android TV is pretty naff (so I’ve found anyway) so the LG OS can’t be any worse!

I have a Sennheiser Ambeo so not too fussed on how it sounds either.

just hoping I can manage to fit it to the wall myself……

Enjoy!

I’m a novice to AV but this thread seems a good place to ask; how do you get all your other equipment, Bly-ray, games console etc plugged in without wires showing? Do you have to have everything buried in the wall? How would you change kit?
    A genuine question as we’ve never wall mounted out tv because of all the extra stuff
    Cheers

Two answers:

a) Don't. I stream everything and have nothing connected to the TV physically. Don't have sky and haven't used a blueray in years. Games console in another room.
    b) Plan ahead. I had the room refurbed so planned the TV location and wiring requirements. As mentioned above, I didn't need to, but could have wired sources to somewhere else in the room or another room entirely.

Tricky if neither of these reflect your situation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I’m a novice to AV but this thread seems a good place to ask; how do you get all your other equipment, Bly-ray, games console etc plugged in without wires showing? Do you have to have everything buried in the wall? How would you change kit?
    A genuine question as we’ve never wall mounted out tv because of all the extra stuff
    Cheers
    This is a good question.

If you want to physically connect a TV to devices then you would need to run cables via a conduit to a central point where you house the devices.
    Depending on this location determines whether you then need a control system to operate them.
    This then becomes expensive.
    I know, I have installed a hub room managed by RTI that manages all AV systems throughout the house. This involves re-wiring throughout so can only really be done as a renovation. It’s is great, definitely a step up from Control4 and you can integrate smart home options such as blinds, lighting etc into a set of routines. E.g. pull on the drive and lights switch on in key rooms, alarm system deactivates etc.
    This all involves programming so is quite advanced.

If you want simplicity, use the apps on a tv and connect the tv to a really good soundbar. This gives you the functionality you require but it is a bit like watches, once you get bitten you want to do more...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Thanks, I took the plunge and ordered yesterday, arrives today just in time for the footy!

I’ve had Sony for 6 years so want a change, Android TV is pretty naff (so I’ve found anyway) so the LG OS can’t be any worse!

I have a Sennheiser Ambeo so not too fussed on how it sounds either.

just hoping I can manage to fit it to the wall myself……
    Let us know how you get on.

The TV was quite heavy and as it’s OLED you can only hold it from the bottom. I would suggest it’s a 2 man job to get it done.

Well, all sorted and managed it myself (pat on back for me).

Stunning TV, fits so close to the wall, and not a wire in sight!

Definitely the nicest TV I've had. Could have gone bigger but the 55 is a nice size.

That looks great - very clean.

I've been looking at a new TV and a friend, (whos one of those who reseacrehs everything) seems to think that the A1 is OK, the G1 is overkill for what I need, and the C1 is the best value vs performance. I've noticed a few small sales lately on the G1 and A1 so I'm hoping the C1 will follow suit - I'm guessing the comment about them being replaced imminently is something I'll be aware of, as I don't want to spend top $ only for it to be replaced by a new model in a few weeks. Right now we've got a Toshiba Fire TV - it's fine for what it is, but totally uncomparable to the LG from what I've seen. I particularly like the UI on the LG - it's very slick.

Ash

Craftsman
    Replacement models are out, check the reviews.

Glad everything is sorted and your happy. We’ve been very satisfied with the G1. Just follow the calibration tips on AV Forums, really simple to set up.

Master
    Very nice, wifey asks, "what make is the unit?' or was it custom made.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Very nice, wifey asks, "what make is the unit?' or was it custom made.

Custom I’m afraid, a company call Neville Johnson did it for us, superb company who have kitted out two houses for us now.