closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Happy Meter Reading Day - 31.3.22

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Happy Meter Reading Day - 31.3.22

For those that want/need to submit meter readings before the cut off point of the price cut.

B

Master
    Great idea as a reminder to all.

Thanks.

For all the fuss about smart metres mine takes a reading every 30 minutes so no need.

Did mine last night and will do the same today.

A timely reminder.

Even with my reduced standing orders - the amount in credit prior to the readings just now, you realise that you are now paying for the consumption in advance (just like oil or propane).

The Shell meter reading site, right now:

Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Been on the April tarriff on a fixed deal for the last month...gas price is painful and cheaper to just heat out kitchen/dining room with an electric fan heater than use the central heating.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Service Unavailable

Harsh!

The E.ON Next web site also appears not to want to talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    The E.ON Next web site also appears not to want to talk to me.
    Reckon they are cursing Martin Lewis and the like, though..................

Master
    So glad I sent the monthly reading yesterday with a view to updating it today, no chance off anything happening on the Shell site today it seems.

Octopus was on Radio 4 earlier, all companies' websites are struggling (up to 20 times the daily submissions). Octopus' CEO advise to take the reading anyway, with time and date, and submit it later when websites are back to normal. Alternatively you can email them your readings.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    British Gas crashed as well, they have confirmed that any text-message you receive asking for a meter reading is real and not a scam

https://apple.news/Ao8l8GtCkQyCwMtpMc5dULg

I blame the OP on here for starting a Nationwide panic

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    British Gas crashed as well, they have confirmed that any text-message you receive asking for a meter reading is real and not a scam

I had that text, and was tempted to use it. However, after downloading their APP, I updated my readings in about five minutes. Didn't accept it first time, but did in the end. Website is still broken.

Currently the most read story on the BBC News web site - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60938730

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Octopus was on Radio 4 earlier, all companies' websites are struggling (up to 20 times the daily submissions). Octopus' CEO advise to take the reading anyway, with time and date, and submit it later when websites are back to normal. Alternatively you can email them your readings.
    Did mine earlier today with Octopus via their app with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post

Received three texts today from 'British Gas'. The third one says:

We sent you a text earlier today from our other number. Please feel safe to reply to that message and we will process your read.

Er… okaaaay …

How many of you will give an optimistic reading?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I was thinking this😁

Master
    I love how the utility firms are blaming Martin Lewis today for breaking their websites. It’s not like they’ve known it’s coming for weeks or anything….oh wait.

Bulb has a virtual queue just to get to the site. Sent meter reading told there was an error and try again in 24 hours, then got 4 emails thanking me for my meter reading……..so who knows

At least it isn’t Govt run…oh wait

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I love how the utility firms are blaming Martin Lewis today for breaking their websites. It’s not like they’ve known it’s coming for weeks or anything….oh wait.
    It was only one - the media have made a big thing of it. Martin Lewis has suggested that they have apologised as it was a poor attempt at humour that came across wrongly.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Octopus was fine though they say enter the info on Sat as their prices do not change until 00:00 Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Octopus was fine though they say enter the info on Sat as their prices do not change until 00:00 Sat.
    Meaning 23:59:59 on Friday is the last moment at old rates.
    With Octopus you can also retrospectively submit the readings and specify the date after the fact. I suggest a time stamped photo of your meters as backup.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a smart meter and fixed price till May 2023 so luckily I am immune to this till next May.

I suspect there’s a lot doing that kind of fraud. I wonder what the energy companies do about it…maybe pursue the obvious offenders who suddenly have apparently used much more than normal. Must be pretty easy to identify if there is some energy use history on the account.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I suspect there’s a lot doing that kind of fraud. I wonder what the energy companies do about it…maybe pursue the obvious offenders who suddenly have apparently used much more than normal. Must be pretty easy to identify if there is some energy use history on the account.
    Doubt they can do much about it TBH. Users can obviously claim they made a mistake with the reading and the companies make plenty of those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Service Unavailable

And still the same this morning!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    And still the same this morning!
    Just submit it through this link

https://help.shellenergy.co.uk/hc/en...om_submit_read

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    That worked, many thanks.

Not that I needed to, it turns out I am on a smart meter and they have readings.

Shows how organised and informed I am, talk about being the ideal candidate for energy companies to profit from.
    Last edited by tango; 4th April 2022 at 09:12.

Craftsman
    I am struggling to submit my electricity meter reading to the eon-next web site. Apparently I have to first set up an account, so I entered my details, and clicked submit. It then said it has sent me an email to which I need to respond. But I never got the email (and it is not in junk). I have tried this twice. I assume something is not working in the back end.

Master
    What exactly was the point of all this? Unless you intend to profit by submitting a false over high reading, your usage will be pro-rata allocated based on your readings before and after the price change. For those with a smart meter, or those who submitted a reading within a week of the change, I honestly doubt there is any advantage whatsoever. If your account is based on an out of date estimated usage figure then it might be an idea to update that, but it could in fact work against you...

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    What exactly was the point of all this? Unless you intend to profit by submitting a false over high reading, your usage will be pro-rata allocated based on your readings before and after the price change. For those with a smart meter, or those who submitted a reading within a week of the change, I honestly doubt there is any advantage whatsoever. If your account is based on an out of date estimated usage figure then it might be an idea to update that, but it could in fact work against you...
    To supply an up to date reading? My meter hasn’t been read for months, sometimes can go for more than a year w/o and imagine the same for very many w/o smart meters.
    Unlikely someone will have a reading from within a week TBH - only reason would be because of the changes and why not wait until the actual date?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    To supply an up to date reading? My meter hasn’t been read for months, sometimes can go for more than a year w/o and imagine the same for very many w/o smart meters.
    Unlikely someone will have a reading from within a week TBH - only reason would be because of the changes and why not wait until the actual date?
    I have a dumb meter and Octopus ask for customer readings every month. I don't think that is all that unusual. In your case, then as I mentioned above, relying on an estimated reading could go either way, you might win or lose but you are in the minority these days if your energy company lets you go for months or even years without either requesting an actual read of some kind or visiting to take one.
    Last edited by Padders; 5th April 2022 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have a dumb meter and Octopus ask for customer readings every month. I don't think that is all that unusual. In your case, then as I mentioned above, relying on an estimated reading could go either way, you might win or lose but you are in the minority these days if your energy company lets you go for months or even years without either requesting an actual read of some kind.
    Not sure I'm in the minority here. My Mother, with different supplier is in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure I'm in the minority here.
    It is a bit weird not regularly submitting your own readings.

Sometimes go for a year without reading them? Really? Why? Are you waiting for the bloke with the clipboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It is a bit weird not regularly submitting your own readings.

Sometimes go for a year without reading them? Really? Why? Are you waiting for the bloke with the clipboard?
    Don’t see why it’s weird, why bother submitting them esp. if not asked? The bloke with the clipboard will come anyway.
    Not everyone has mobile or internet (my Mum certainly hasn’t).

Master
    Tbh I've not seen a man with a clipboard for a good few years now. Maybe if you are with one of the big 6 they might send someone now and then. But over 4 different recent suppliers I've only sent my own readings.