closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Microsoft surface?

Craftsman

Microsoft surface?

Any experiences? Or something as good without the price tag?

Basicly I need something for a course I'm doing, no heavy usage, coursework, teams sessions, word,PowerPoint etc. The usual education use. Would prefer something smallish and easy to carry around.

It's been along time since I've opened a laptop

Craftsman
    I use an iPad Pro for this and it’s great

Could go Chromebook. Then you can use Google docs or use the office apps

Having said that my Mrs had a surface and it was very good

Surfaces are OK but the keyboards aren’t great for lots of typing. They make a lot of sense if you’ll use it as a tablet and with the pen, but if you won’t you’re getting a compromised laptop in exchange for capabilities you don’t need.

A base spec MacBook Air would be a better buy IMO. The current M1 version in entry level spec is an incredible performer and has great battery life, has a larger screen, and is still very portable.

Master
    My daughter has been through 2 of them while at uni. First was destroyed by a drunken encounter with laundry detergent, second has developed screen problems with the touch sensor. They are great when they work though. If you are doing mainly typing get a normal laptop that you can plug in to a keyboard, monitor and mouse for serious sessions.
    I do use an iPad Pro and cheap pencil knockoff for all my note taking at work and most internet browsing, in fact I’m typing this on it now so that may also be an option.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Surfaces are OK but the keyboards aren’t great for lots of typing. They make a lot of sense if you’ll use it as a tablet and with the pen, but if you won’t you’re getting a compromised laptop in exchange for capabilities you don’t need.

A base spec MacBook Air would be a better buy IMO. The current M1 version in entry level spec is an incredible performer and has great battery life, has a larger screen, and is still very portable.
    Agreed. I’ve had one for 4 years. Its been decent but I don’t use it as a tablet or use the pen and I dislike the keyboard so I’m going back to a normal laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one from the SC recently, first time owning one. Well built, great screen and I really enjoy using the pen. As others have said, the keyboard isn't great but fine for light use.

Overall it's a great device but for the price and the usage you've suggested, I'd say get a laptop - plenty of great devices for half the cost.

I'd go with a laptop too (as above)

Most people I have seen in large companies - use the surface-pro lightly at home or on the train, and immediatly plug it in to the docking station in their office.

The keyboard feels okay, but I couldn't vouch for its endurance.

My 4yr old ipad pro with the folio keyboard is still great to type rapidly on.

Macbook Air would fit the bill I think.

For 99% of people a chromebook would do the job just fine. Cheaper than a windows or mac machine, lighter, instant on and better battery life.

I'm typing this on a Google Pixelbook Go and at full charge it's saying I've got 15 hours left before the battery gives up. It's my primary leisure device and it's been absolutely fantastic.

The only thing you have to check is how heavily your institution uses MS Office. Google docs is 99% there but if you have to use forms that have been built on word or collaborate with people using powerpoint it can get a bit funky when it comes to formatting.

Personally i find iPads great for content consumption but not as much for creation - you need a proper laptop for that.

I had a surface pro (the detachable keyboard one) for work and the battery life was shocking although i was travelling a lot and the lightness was excellent. I'd look a Surface Laptop Go if you are wanting a windows machine. I've recommended the £500-£600 one to a few people now and they have all loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'd go with a laptop too (as above)

Most people I have seen in large companies - use the surface-pro lightly at home or on the train, and immediatly plug it in to the docking station in their office.

The keyboard feels okay, but I couldn't vouch for its endurance.

My 4yr old ipad pro with the folio keyboard is still great to type rapidly on.

Macbook Air would fit the bill I think.
    Agree with much of this - although can't comment on the MB Air. Have used Surface for years - I find the keyboard pretty good really and durable, although most of the time now it is docked and use a BT kb & Mouse with 2 monitors. This wasnt a reflection on the kb, rather that it was silly to have 2 kbs on the desk. The accessories are expensive but they interchange with most versions so can pick up a dock of eBay and of course any BT kb or mouse will work. Never really bothered with the pen - my first one came with one, the 2nd one didn't.

They are very good as a portable device and I travel with mine (used to) and I wouldn't want to go back to a full fat laptop, the old Surface Pro 4 is now being used for homework by a 15 year old so they do last - although it wouldn't take W11 Pro. I also had a Surface Go for a while when travelled a lot and Surface didn't have USB-C charging - it is a bit more compact but probably not worth it now Surface Pro has USB-C unless the size/weight saving is crucial.

I have a couple of Surface laptop 2, great keyboard and huge tablet that detaches. About 3 years old mine is used for work and have another the kids use, would recommend. It’s a laptop that can be a tablet rather than the other way round

Craftsman
    Thanks there is some great info to consider in here!

I've had a Surface Go 2 tablet and Surface Go laptop in the last year. I found the tablet a poor laptop replacement and a not terribly good tablet device either (the touchscreen is too sensitive and it's difficult to use it properly without a proper pen and that in the end was too much effort). The other annoyance is that the configuration with the stand makes it impossible to actually use on your lap. The laptop is actually a lot better and has a decent processor - certainly has the aesthetics of a Macbook Air but with an operating system I can actually get on with.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    I have one of these and find it very versatile. Plenty of good reviews online.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-due...-grey/p5080664

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    I have one of these and find it very versatile. Plenty of good reviews online.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-due...-grey/p5080664
    If a Chromebook can meet your demands, they are great way to go - long battery life, built in security, cloud storage etc. I have an Asus Chromebook and although it doesn't separate from the keyboard like the one above, the combination of a keyboard and touch screen makes using it a breeze.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    If a Chromebook can meet your demands, they are great way to go - long battery life, built in security, cloud storage etc. I have an Asus Chromebook and although it doesn't separate from the keyboard like the one above, the combination of a keyboard and touch screen makes using it a breeze.
    Indeed. My 3 daughters and my mother all have these. Mixture of University work and light duties. Not detachable keyboard, but 180 flip over.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...03802-pdt.html

I have a Surface laptop. It’s been very good for the last 4 years; runs well, quick, good battery life. However, the Alcântara surface is looking a bit grubby and it’s beginning to slow down, the battery isn’t what it was but I can still do near enough a full day’s office work on a single charge.

To me the above is fair wear and tear in a 4-yr old laptop and I’d buy one again (but probably opt for a darker colour so it doesn’t look too shabby as it ages.

I picked up a Surface Pro 5 recently from eBay. Hardly used with full capacity battery, keyboard/cover etc for £299. Loaded Windows 11 and it runs really well.

Wanted a change from an iPad and no complaints so far.

They’re fine but not as clever as they look. If you want a pad there are better options and if you want a laptop there are also better options. Battery life is average at best. Keyboard ok for short sessions. If I was buying again I’d just buy a slimline laptop with a proper keyboard- like most surface owners I rarely use mine as a pad.

I must say, I’ve had my Surface Laptop for almost a year and the battery is starting to lose a bit of zip.

Can anybody recommend a USB-C power bank that would give it a couple of charges?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    If you don’t mind second hand Samsung do something similar to a surface. I managed to pick one up a couple of years ago for £200 on eBay. They are similar specs as stated the keyboards are a bit of a weak point but are better in my opinion to that of the surface as they have proper key travel.

I got one that could be charged by a usb c cable so saved about 1kg in weight so I didn’t need to lug a power brick with me everywhere when travelling.

You could get one new but silly expensive for what they are but the second hand price is a steal in my mind. Other option is as mentioned a iPad Pro but still think that these can be limiting at times.

I have had 3 . Upgraded when the new model comes out and pass the old one down to one of my kids . If your just consuming media and Web browsing get an ipad but if you want or need Windows a surface is one of the best built out there. My gripe is the battery isn't the longest lasting and sky go app absolutely kills it .