closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MRG-B5000 Series - the new ultimate G-Shock Square?

MRG-B5000 Series - the new ultimate G-Shock Square?

Now these look a treat! The first G-Shock Square MR-G models have been launched, although I don't think they're available yet in the UK.

• Crafted with the state-of-the-art metals and meticulous finishes that are the hallmark of the MR-G flagship line.
    • The case and bezel are made of Ti64-based super-hard titanium alloy, while the band is made of another special titanium alloy, DAT55G, that is both three times harder than pure titanium and highly workable.
    • The bezel top is crafted in COBARION®, a cobalt-chrome alloy four times harder than pure titanium.
    • The bezel alone consists of 25 different components, each individually polished for a stunning detailed texture.
    • The state-of-the-art Multi-guard Structure incorporates flat springs and silicone buffers to the multi-component bezel, ensuring outstanding shock absorption to protect the dedicated MR-G module with gold-plated retainer plate.
    • Contrasting hairline and mirror finishes and a titanium carbide coating for exquisitely polished silver.

Of course there's a catch. The silver one is $3,500 USD and the black one is $4,000 USD. Guessing the GBP price will be ballpark similar. Oh well

https://www.casio.com/intl/watches/g....MRG-B5000D-1/
    https://www.casio.com/intl/watches/g....MRG-B5000B-1/

Master
    On the Casio UK site the steel G was £3200 sold out. No sign of the black dlc which is my fave. That gold and red on the black just looks stunning to mine eye.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said the above. No doubt there will be a Ali express style kit to pimp out the basic G square in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by raydin View Post
    On the Casio UK site the steel G was £3200 sold out. No sign of the black dlc which is my fave. That gold and red on the black just looks stunning to mine eye.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said the above. No doubt there will be a Ali express style kit to pimp out the basic G square in due time.
    Ah perhaps they've removed it once sold out, I can't seem to find it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by raydin View Post
    That gold and red on the black just looks stunning to mine eye.
    There is something incongruous about a metal cased G, more so a “luxury” one, but Casio will doubtless find a market for these. I can't help think that you can get the red, gold and black look for about £3000 less, and a watch you'd actually wear…

My old one

Even the cheapo DW5600 had a gold button version…

That cost me about £30, new

TT

Very nice watches, though they are overpriced, notwithstanding that they are beautifully made.

They are not the first square MRG's though, this is the first one from 1996. It is also a beautifully made all titanium watch.

Mitch

I agree with Mitch, very nice but overpriced. I'll be sticking to my GW-5000.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I have quite a collection of G shocks including a GW5000U, a few Frogmen, a fair few old screwbacks, lots of basic 5600’s and 6900’s and a couple of full metal models - a square and the AMW500. The metal ones are certainly well made, but I tend to baby them a bit - all those sharp angles are easily dinged or scratched, whereas a resin cased G tends to last years without a mark. The metal squares also have the most pathetic alarm, and pointless Bluetooth functions especially as here in the uk multiband 6 works perfectly well. So they look snazzier but aren’t imho any better. I think a GW5000U offers all you will ever need in a g shock, with the basic DW-5600 not far behind. I have over 9 inch wrists and the frogmen still wear large so no idea how those with slim wrists wear them. And as for all the huge analogue g shocks like the mudman - well, I don’t understand those at all. Maybe I’m a bit 80’s but a G should be digital!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a load of 5000 G shocks. Plastic and metal variants, but I’m not about to shell out those sums for something that doesn’t add too much to the party, for me at least. I’m still slightly shocked, but brands are good at finding ways to extract even more money.

im fairly sure these will be available at some point well under 50% of RRP like a number of the MR-G lineup.
    It's just a matter of time...

I completely agree with others. My resin square cost about £120 new, on a combi bracelet with the same module as the steel and titanium ones. I think a lot of the titanium ones look cool but the value (and function as a rough and tough watch) is completely lost at multiple hundreds of pounds.

I recognise that the case construction in these MRGs is totally different but I think you’d have to be mad to spend that kind of money.

Having said that, i still think that the $70k solid gold g-shocks from a few years ago was one of the coolest things they ever did. If you’re spending that kind of money on something so extravagant as a watch, it’s as good an option as any other, ironically.

Master

Bought it on release

I bought the silver one on release day and i must say i am just super impressed with the overall package. But specifically where i see the attractiveness for me was:

1) the finishing of the case, in particular the edges and circular plots on the bracelet. Believe it or not the circular plots are actually a SEPARATE polished part that is inserted into the hole, 2 for each link. The polishing is also done on the inside of the hole as well.
    2) The bezel is stunning and it being made of Cobarion which only a single supplier in the entire world can manufacture adds to its lustre as it just has a different sheen to standard SS or Ti.

The price point is of course going to be a massive contention for many but for me, if you compare other watches in this price point, at least in finishing, i don’t personally see where the Gshock is worse. Considering it is hand assembled in the premium line in Yamagata and hand polished using Zaratsu techniques, for me the value is there and i don’t care if it’s “just a gshock” or whatever.

Also with the amount of manual intervention and variety of exclusive and small
    production materials that this watch uses i honestly don’t see Casio making many of these primarily because it just isn’t very profitable in todays macro economy. I have spoken to people in the industry and the price point whilst very high, is going to be hard to sustain.

I wouldn’t personally “recommend” it to other people but if you own watches from brands like Patek, Lange, FPJourne etc and appreciate fine finishing, you may actually enjoy this one!

I posted a photo on my instagram: tokyo_watch_guy
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 18th March 2022 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I bought the silver one on release day and i must say i am just super impressed with the overall package. But specifically where i see the attractiveness for me was:

1) the finishing of the case, in particular the edges and circular plots on the bracelet. Believe it or not the circular plots are actually a SEPARATE polished part that is inserted into the hole, 2 for each link. The polishing is also done on the inside of the hole as well.
    2) The bezel is stunning and it being made of Cobarion which only a single supplier in the entire world can manufacture adds to its lustre as it just has a different sheen to standard SS or Ti.

The price point is of course going to be a massive contention for many but for me, if you compare other watches in this price point, at least in finishing, i don’t personally see where the Gshock is worse. Considering it is hand assembled in the premium line in Yamagata and hand polished using Zaratsu techniques, for me the value is there and i don’t care if it’s “just a gshock” or whatever.

production materials that this watch uses i honestly don’t see Casio making many of these primarily because it just isn’t very profitable in todays macro economy. I have spoken to people in the industry and the price point whilst very high, is going to be hard to sustain.

I wouldn’t personally “recommend” it to other people but if you own watches from brands like Patek, Lange, FPJourne etc and appreciate fine finishing, you may actually enjoy this one!

Well done! I need to go and check it out and compare against my DLC Ti square which already sat expensive over the standard metal version at over £1k!

Did you have a choice with the standard Ti finish and the DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    They are not the first square MRG's though, this is the first one from 1996. It is also a beautifully made all titanium watch.
    It is however the 'first G-Shock Square MR-G'. Nice G you have there

Congrats on biting the bullet on one! I suspect you're right, I'd guess these will end up sold out and hold their value fine.

Wow congrats. This one is too pricey for me but I did manage to snag one of the Titanium Virtual Armour models before they sold out and I love it.

The point of these isn't that they are a tool watch, though I suppose they would probably hold up quite well if used as such. The point of these is to showcase the extent that Casio can go to whilst still offering the same functions in a watch for £50. There is truly a square G for every budget with no compromise in functionality anywhere on the scale. Very few manufacturers can do that, even some of the other Japanese ones. I believe The MRG are an example of kodawari, a culture of perfection where even the unseen details have the same level of care and craftsmanship as the visible parts.

Master
    I do like the look of these but the price is eyewatering but as a MRG owner the quality is astounding.

Hopefully these will be available at a more reasonable cost on the second habd market like most MRG models.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The point of these isn't that they are a tool watch, though I suppose they would probably hold up quite well if used as such. The point of these is to showcase the extent that Casio can go to whilst still offering the same functions in a watch for £50. There is truly a square G for every budget with no compromise in functionality anywhere on the scale. Very few manufacturers can do that, even some of the other Japanese ones. I believe The MRG are an example of kodawari, a culture of perfection where even the unseen details have the same level of care and craftsmanship as the visible parts.
    Yea I fully agree.

Plus of course the same can be said of a mechanical watch too. You can spend a hundred, a thousand or ten thousand on a watch that fundamentally does the same thing. It’s less about functionality at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Wow congrats. This one is too pricey for me but I did manage to snag one of the Titanium Virtual Armour models before they sold out and I love it.

I was really tempted by that one. Such a different look to any other Square, and given this new release what seemed like an absurdly expensive G at the time is now starting to look not too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I was really tempted by that one. Such a different look to any other Square, and given this new release what seemed like an absurdly expensive G at the time is now starting to look not too bad!
    Lol yeah. I closed my eyes while clicking ‘buy’ as I thought I was a bit nuts going for what I thought was an expensive version of the square. But it looks a relative bargain now lol

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post

Possibly my favourite watch release for quite some time and it looks great on your wrist.
    I just wish it was a negative display! Though their design department probably knows that the standard display fits the design far better.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Possibly my favourite watch release for quite some time and it looks great on your wrist.
    I just wish it was a negative display! Though their design department probably knows that the standard display fits the design far better.
    Thanks. I’ve thought about the negative display design decision or lack of a bit too. I do find the negatives a bit too hard to read so I’m personally happy with the decision they made. Ideally it would have been nice to have the option if they had made a negative model available then everyone could have got their ideal configuration.

(Alright I feel like I’m going off topic now on the Mr-G model. Apologies all.)

Blog Entries
    Good to see innovation is alive and well.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Heres some shot of mine that I just purchased last week:

I know it cost a few bob but I really like the look of that

Heres some shot of mine that I just purchased last week
    Looks magnificent. I can't think of a better looking G-Shock to be honest. I'd go for that colour also of the two.

One in stock now on the website for anyone tempted - https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-b5000d-1dr

Well done, that looks absolutely wonderful

Master
    I bet I could scratch one just by getting it out of the box.

Heres some shot of mine that I just purchased last week:

The watch is really good looking, quite a good homage to the very first G Shock the DW-5000. The quality of construction is amazing, something that can generate a real feeling of pride in ownership.

Still can't reconcile myself to the price though, not when I have this DW-5000-1JF as a closer homage to the original, also great looking, even if not as well made as the MRG and a fraction of the price.

Mitch

Master
    The case sounds like a work of art, but I'm interested in the "dedicated MR-G module" - what do you get that you wouldn't in an outwardly similar G Shock for about 5% of the asking price of this one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The case sounds like a work of art, but I'm interested in the "dedicated MR-G module" - what do you get that you wouldn't in an outwardly similar G Shock for about 5% of the asking price of this one?
    Not much according to what was explained to me. The difference is mainly in the materials used for the module, ie using gold for certain connectors ? etc.

These MR-G's have only just hit my radar :)

Do we ever see these on sale?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100 View Post
    These MR-G's have only just hit my radar :)

Do we ever see these on sale?

Neil

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-b5000d-1dr

Oh dear, I might have used an Americanism or something :)

I meant on offer or in a sale.

Apologies English isn't my first language :)

Neil

Good grief! I like a G-Shock, particularly the squares, but the price on that is insane.
    I'm sure it's lovely but on functionality and resilience levels I'd rather save the £3K and buy a GW-5000-U for about £200.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100 View Post
    Oh dear, I might have used an Americanism or something :)

I meant on offer or in a sale.

Apologies English isn't my first language :)

Neil
    Yes but not when a model is recently released, the do sales when a model is getting older usually.

You can buy them used for huge cuts off the RRP anyway, 1000 - 1500 gets you a used MRG usually

No. Just no.

The reaction to the price of these is interesting. Nobody bats an eyelid to a Sinn U50 for 3 grand, with its mass produced mechanical movement. The quality of the case work and bracelet is way above the Sinn, for instance (I’d love a Sinn too !). Probably can’t afford either right now :(. Both watches are on my radar though! What I really want is a Ploprof, also out of reach :D .

To me they look stunning, and I really appreciate the quality of the case, it’s on another level compared to the metal squares, titanium or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Yes but not when a model is recently released, the do sales when a model is getting older usually.

You can buy them used for huge cuts off the RRP anyway, 1000 - 1500 gets you a used MRG usually
    I think you're way off the mark with regards to these MRG-B5000 models.
    I've not seen any available at a discount and nobody is selling used for anything like the prices you mentioned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I think you're way off the mark with regards to these MRG-B5000 models.
    I've not seen any available at a discount and nobody is selling used for anything like the prices you mentioned.
    Agree, all the other MRT and MRG models I’ve picked up half price second hand. Yet to see one of the squares anywhere as discounted. Even then I’d likely struggle to buy it mentally.